Karee

Supreme Court allows Texas voter ID law for now

483 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think the biggest cost will be in implementing the legislation. Which id will be acceptable and then making sure everyone has one. The taxpayers will more than likely need to pick up the tab for low income folks.

If it's a waste of taxpayer money, I don't want them spending it.

The ID card for voting is free.

Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

Espanol

elecID.jpg

Texas voters must show a photo ID to vote in elections in Texas, unless you are exempt (see “Exemptions” below).

If you do not have any of the following acceptable forms of ID, beginning June 26, 2013, you may apply for an Election Identification Certificate (EIC) at no charge. However, if you already have any of the following forms of ID, you are not eligible for an EIC:

• Texas driver license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
  • Texas personal identification card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
  • Texas concealed handgun license—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
  • U.S. passport book or card—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
  • U.S. Military identification with photo—unexpired or expired no longer than 60 days at the time of voting
  • U.S. Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with photo

Texans may also obtain an EIC at:

Exemptions

If you are voting by mail, you do not have to submit a photo ID.

If you have a documented disability, you may apply at your county voter registrar for a permanent exemption from the photo ID requirement. If approved, you will not need a photo ID to vote.

For more information on the types of exemptions available, please visit your county voter registrar or the Texas Secretary of State.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I think the biggest cost will be in implementing the legislation. Which id will be acceptable and then making sure everyone has one. The taxpayers will more than likely need to pick up the tab for low income folks.

If it's a waste of taxpayer money, I don't want them spending it.

You could argue that any wasted spending is wrong; but you could also argue that any voter fraud is wrong as well.

I think it just makes sense to show an ID when voting. At least in my opinion.

Timeline

Free of charge doesn't mean it costs nothing.

Right, it costs the tax payers something. Not much, but something.

The ID card for voting is free.

Free? :lol:

You could argue that any wasted spending is wrong; but you could also argue that any voter fraud is wrong as well.

I think it just makes sense to show an ID when voting. At least in my opinion.

I do argue that any wasted spending is wrong. If it can't be justified, why do it? Sure any voter fraud is wrong, but it's simply not a big enough problem to justify spending any taxpayer money to remedy it. Also, the largest percentage of voter fraud take place through absentee ballots and non eligible voters being allowed to vote, like felons, Neither of those will be fixed with a voter id.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Right, it costs the tax payers something. Not much, but something.

A national ID card programme was something that was looked into in the UK a few years ago, and thankfully dropped when the new government came in. For it to be worthwhile - the card needs to meet a security standard that makes it as forge-proof as possible. Otherwise, there really isn't any point.

The cost estimate of that project on a national scale was about £6bn.

So no, it isn't cheap.

Edited by Hail Ming!

Timeline

Do you really think the voter id is free? Who pays for it?

Ohh ok. Well the Texas legislature who was elected by the citizens of Texas decided it was cool to spend a small amount of money on offering free IDs to people who want to vote. Pretty nice of them if you ask me. I'm sure this free ID can be used for other things as well where ID is required. Cashing checks etc. etc.

What's a few bucks to make sure someone is actually legal to vote when you have an $8 billion surplus?

why I call that argument a joke.....many poor people get some sort of government assistance. they need ID to enroll & receive that assistance.

Out of the pool of potential people who do not posess an id, who are legal to vote, which class of people would you say has the largest number of folks without id? Upper class, middle class, or lower class?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

All the morons who believe voter fraud is irrelevant are missing the big picture. Voters need to have faith that we do not have a fraudulent voting system. Voter ID helps.

I do argue that any wasted spending is wrong. If it can't be justified, why do it? Sure any voter fraud is wrong, but it's simply not a big enough problem to justify spending any taxpayer money to remedy it. Also, the largest percentage of voter fraud take place through absentee ballots and non eligible voters being allowed to vote, like felons, Neither of those will be fixed with a voter id.

If the people of the state feel that voter ID is important, then it would not be wasteful spending.

Timeline

A national ID card programme was something that was looked into in the UK a few years ago, and thankfully dropped when the new government came in. For it to be worthwhile - the card needs to meet a security standard that makes it as forge-proof as possible. Otherwise, there really isn't any point.

The cost estimate of that project on a national scale was about £6bn.

So no, it isn't cheap.

So your citing something from the UK to make your case? Have anything a little closer to the mark?

Ohh ok. Well the Texas legislature who was elected by the citizens of Texas decided it was cool to spend a small amount of money on offering free IDs to people who want to vote. Pretty nice of them if you ask me. I'm sure this free ID can be used for other things as well where ID is required. Cashing checks etc. etc.

What's a few bucks to make sure someone is actually legal to vote when you have an $8 billion surplus?

The money is more than you think. See the article posted by Hail Ming.

Anyway, I'm in favor of an id system, so I'm also in favor of spending the money to implement it. It's the voter fraud myth that is used to push this agenda that bugs me.