Romet

Our relationship started while she was technically married

64 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, here is your "original question."

The CO is going to have her divorce decree (with a date on it), the application (with a dates all over it), and whatever evidence your fiancee supplies (which, so far, appears to be evidence you met ... in the form of some pictures with your friends - no pictures with your family, no engagement party, no shabka, none of the other evidence that would typically be supplied for a for real Egyptian engagement, yet you refer to her as your fiancee, and some evidence of communication that started while she was still married) in a file. That file will have been thoroughly read and digested before you get to the interview window. Frankly, I'd be surprised if, considering everything else you have going against you, they'd bother with that particular question.

And about your fiancee? Where, exactly, is she in all of this? She doesn't know how to log into a self-help web site and ask questions for herself? Or are you overly interested in securing a visa (which is, by the way, a huge red flag)? Just curious.

Hello Ihavequestions and everyone. The Fiancée here. :)

I think VJ is an amazing website and has some great resources. Although I think this thread lost it's way a bit, I still think it's a good discussion and I want to personally thank everyone that is truly trying to help.

To answer specifically as to where exactly I stand in all of this: We BOTH use this site but I do not ask as many questions in open forums..... When I have specific questions, I tend to personally message folks and I use this site more as a tool on what is needed for the actual paperwork needed and how to file everything correctly). He is more a "ask questions type of guy" and feels comfortable on open forums such as this. I am not so much. I thought some of the information he disclosed was a bit personal, but I totally understand that you need more of the entire background story to get a full understanding and idea of what exactly our own circumstances are and what information it is we are specifically seeking. I see that helps everyone help us better.

So, with that being said: Let me try, if I can, to clarify a few things (give some details) and give a timeline of events (and get even MORE personal) LOL.

I am the American (Petitioner)

He is the Egyptian citizen (Beneficiary)

I am older by 16 years with two children and divorced.

I am Christian. He is Muslim.

I have been physically separated from the ex-husband since 2008, and due to financial issues (although I am an Accountant, I stayed home to raise our two children and we agreed we wouldn't divorce until I was better financially situated after he left) I didn't file for divorce until October 2012. Because of crazy bureaucracy in the Los Angeles family court system, it has taken me almost two years to the date to get the judge’s signature on the dotted line. My divorce was finalized early October 2014.

“M” and I met in September 2013 almost a year after I already filed for divorce and over 5 years after my “marriage” was over. A courtship started and our relationship escalated and we got "informally" engaged in February 2014. Meaning, I knew until the dissolution of marriage was signed, we'd have to wait to proceed with the K-1 visa. I have been to Egypt 3 times and have also brought my kids to Egypt to meet “M”.

“M” comes from a traditional somewhat religious Egyptian Muslim family. I didn't meet his family any of the times I traveled as it wasn't the right time and place for US. We knew his family probably wouldn't accept me because of all the reasons most people might have “questions/skepticism” about. Older, American, Christian, divorced, mother of 2. As “M” said before NONE OF THIS MATTERS TO US as a couple, but on the outside, it doesn't look like the “ideal” couple. “M” is also the “baby” of his family and they are a bit overprotective of him. Heck, my Mom is still extremely overprotective of my own brother (baby of our family) and he’s hella grown! J

To give a quick and VERY IMPORTANT update: “M” told his entire family about us (me) last Monday (the 20th) and to our surprise, they took it a LOT better than he anticipated. We are now making plans for me to have our first visit. Very excited and very nervous! LOL Also, a little more .. his family KNOWS who I am… but only knew me to be a very good “friend”. His father was very instrumental in trying to get him a visitor visa (which was declined) when “M” was going to try to come visit earlier this year. They knew he’d be staying with me and my family.

Now, to the initial question “M” was asking:

We hired a visa preparation company (this was before we found VJ – I hired them or I would have NEVER EVER hired them) and they listed some items that would be considered “red flags”, especially in that region of the world. We’d read on other forums (sites) that our age and religion would be possible red flags but we didn't anticipate that “timing” of our relationship would be questioned. I think that stems from I've been out of my marriage for so long that it never dawned on me that the validity of our relationship could be questioned because we were “in a relationship” while I was “technically (on paper)” considered married. I have even consulted the ex-husband to say I will need an affidavit from him verifying we have NOT been together since 2008.

“M” took to VJ to see if anyone had gone through a similar circumstance (it literally seems like folks on here have been there and seen it all) as we our facing.

I've learned from reading many different experiences and accounts that everyone’s situation is different.

I've also read that his parent’s not knowing could be the BIGGEST of them. Now God willing, that will NOT be an issue anymore.

So, I hope this “dissertation” clears up a few things. ;) There isn't anything fraudulent about him or our relationship, and I don’t totally want to speak for him, but I think he really just want to make sure that he has the best chance possibly to unite with me and get our life together started. We BOTH are overly interested in securing his visa because we just want to be together and get married. That’s the bottom line. I pray that’s as soon as possible.

Thanks for listening.

The Fiancée

Our lovely journey!!

10/08/2015: AOS packet sent to USCIS (Chicago lockbox) via USPS Priority mail (They received it 10/10/15).

10/16/2015: Text/eEmails received from USCIS with receipt number. We received 3.

10/22/2015: Received hard copies of NOA's for I-131, I-765, & I-485.

11/01/2015: Got NOA for biometrics appt (for 11/12/15).

11/03/2015: Did WALK IN biometrics appt - took 15 mins. Person taking said work permit should be in mail in less than 4 wks.

12/09/2015: Got email/text notification for INTERVIEW date.

12/28/2015: Got email/text notification EAD card has been mailed.

12/31/2015: Received EAD/AP card.

01/11/2016: INTERVIEW (in Los Angeles office).

01/11/2016: Case in in "CONTINUANCE". Awaiting approval. (Feels like AP).

06/27/2016: I-485 APPROVED - (FINALLY!!!) / 264 DAYS (8 MONTHS 20 DAYS)

07/01/2016: GREEN CARD RECEIVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Good luck! :)

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

Older, American, Christian, divorced, mother of 2. As “M” said before NONE OF THIS MATTERS TO US as a couple, but on the outside, it doesn't look like the “ideal” couple.

Any one, or even two, of these issues might not raise an eyebrow in terms of approval of the fiance visa. But when you consider the stack (and there are more than you have listed, which leads me to believe you aren't aware of what you are confronting) as a whole, well, you have challenges. All you can do is apply and see what happens. But, as I said, preparing for the interview with canned answers, as if it is an exam, is pointless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

SaharaSunset, on 18 Oct 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

Wow Romet,

Your recent posts suggest you are awfully worried about the questions you're going to get, and how to avoid them...

And I'm not gonna lie, you being so worried seems like a little bit of red flag in an of itself. If you try to "get away" from questions, or try to have pre-planned "good" answers, you're going to look a whole lot more fake than your relationship may actually be.

All relationships are different, no one is going to have your same story exactly because they are not you and your fiance. A good starting place for ALL your concerns might be to make sure you are in this for the right reasons. If you are, then relax. As others have expressed, you'll get through the toughest interviews because your relationship is real. You should be more worried about compiling all the evidence of your relationship....and trust that the interview will go well because you know and love your fiance. Take it from those of us who know.

Explaining how your relationship developed is a very personal and important part of your story. That includes all the circumstances both of you were in. It should be unique and genuine and the truth, not some answer someone else told you was a good way to "get away" from questions like that. How it "looks," and whether its "normal" or "a red flag" means nothing if your story is honest and sincere. Seriously. It may or may not come up, but either way, just explain and you'll be fine.

Its seems like maybe you don't think "love" is enough...and it's not...you've got tons of paperwork and evidence to compile. But if your relationship is real, the interview questions should be the least of your worries. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply and reading my previous questions but I think if you have really read my replies to people about my questions you wouldn't have said anything about my relationship whether it's fake or not. My questions have nothing to do with my relationship. My fiancee and I are so genuinely and deeply in love with each other but unfortunately and again..love isn't enough and convenient to the CO. Of course it's important and I should always express and convey my relationship on that basis. I've read so many stories about k1 cases getting declined for unknown reasons and that's exactly what I'm looking for or want to know. The CO might not be able to see that we do love each other or he might see it a fake relationship while it's so real. Their denial decisions are based on their points or what they concluded from the interview and sometimes he doesn't get what the interviewee is trying to say so its a declined case. NOT all of the declined cases are fake.

I said " get away" but I didn't mean to evade, or make up a fake answer. I mean I want to be able to articulate my points very well so the CO gets that our relation is legit...That's what it's all about. He might see that's culturally inappropriate but I don't see it that way. She was separated 6 years ago and filed her divorce 1 year before I even know her!

Actually we have more than enough evidences to show but we also have some red flags too. I was going to ask about how much evidences do I need to attach to the application forum and take with me to the interview. I mean I have thousand and thousands of texts, sms history, Viber Whatsapp, Kakao, Skype Chat history and call logs, Facebook messages, emails, pictures together, pictures of gifts and cards, airline tickets, boarding passes, hotels invoices, we hired a wedding planner and we're asking about having a joint bank account too.

But he might put aside everything and get concerned about my question above...being in a relationship while she was technically or legally married. I just need to be prepared.

NY_BX, on 18 Oct 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

If the K-1 petition has been submitted, it will be denied. Both of you must submit a divorce decree and/or proof you are free to marry prior to sending the visa paperwork. If you haven't you have a lot of work to do. The divorce decree must be submitted. If you include the current timeline of your relationship, this definitely will come up. No, you won't dodge the bullet, they will ask and you must answer truthfully.

What do you mean by " submitting her divorce decree PRIOR TO sending the visa paperwork! She's gonna attach her divorce decree to the form with the other required documents!

and why both of us I didn't say I'm the same thing I've never been married! I will have her divorce decree with me in the interview I know that

Crossed_fingers, on 18 Oct 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Let me ask it this way, would you have pursued or accepted the advances of a separated but still married Egyptian woman, particularly a 16 year older Egyptian woman with kids? If not, what made you open to entering into the relationship with an American woman? It does sound like your relationship has some of the typical fraud warning signs. Personally, I don't think the solution is to seek typical answers so much as to really think about why your individual relationship is different from the typical pattern, why you started this relationship with good intentions, and why you're planning on continuing this relationship long term.

You just said that my relationship has some typical fraud warning signs without even listening to my answer and I’m expecting that from the CO. Since I know and I’m so very sure that it’s not a fraud, I’m asking you now what would make you change your opinion about it. If saying that I love her would change it?

Ok I will answer you

Because I love her. I didn’t/ don’t choose to love her because love just happens. I didn’t / don’t think about any of our differences and non of them is actually an issue for us. I don’t care how old she is or where she’s from. In spite of all these differences, we understand each other, we communicate very well, we have the same wit and sense of humor, we are so compatible in a way that has never happened to me with anyone before in my last relationships. When we first met she told me that she was divorced and that gave me a relief because I was starting to get attached to her more and more and I was starting to have more feelings for her. She didn’t lie but it wasn’t just a final divorce. She had a court hearing the day before we met in Sep 2013 then they postpone it to Dec 2013 then Apr 2014 then Oct 2014 and I was with her praying to god every second for her to get her divorce as soon as possible so we can start our life. If I was a fraud I would have just run I would have said this woman is going to tie me up for so long and I would have given up on her and look for another. But I have never thought about that and I’ll never do because we’re committed to each other that we will never give up or let go.

We also took our time not to rush anything at the beginning. I was worried that she didn’t have the same feelings for me and she was worried about the same thing at the same time too. Even after we started our relationship, we weren’t “completely” sure that I can be the father of her kids and love them too. In June we really had a great time AS A FAMILY, we got along very well and for the first time I felt like I can be their father. Since that date we decided to get married but she hasn’t gotten her divorce decree by that date yet. After OCT 10th I thought it’s the time so I talked to her dad and asked him for his blessings to marry his daughter. He welcomed me and he will honor our marriage once we do.

That’s our story in brief ..I know this is a very long answer and the CO would want just short answers that goes straight to the point. Tell me if that convinced you and or what other things do I need to add or convey more?

Thanks

I just had to reply and say how disgustingly rude some people are on here. I saw your questions and didn't think about FRAUD or anything like that at all. Sorry people are so rude Romet.

Timeline

SaharaSunset, on 18 Oct 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

Wow Romet,

Your recent posts suggest you are awfully worried about the questions you're going to get, and how to avoid them...

And I'm not gonna lie, you being so worried seems like a little bit of red flag in an of itself. If you try to "get away" from questions, or try to have pre-planned "good" answers, you're going to look a whole lot more fake than your relationship may actually be.

All relationships are different, no one is going to have your same story exactly because they are not you and your fiance. A good starting place for ALL your concerns might be to make sure you are in this for the right reasons. If you are, then relax. As others have expressed, you'll get through the toughest interviews because your relationship is real. You should be more worried about compiling all the evidence of your relationship....and trust that the interview will go well because you know and love your fiance. Take it from those of us who know.

Explaining how your relationship developed is a very personal and important part of your story. That includes all the circumstances both of you were in. It should be unique and genuine and the truth, not some answer someone else told you was a good way to "get away" from questions like that. How it "looks," and whether its "normal" or "a red flag" means nothing if your story is honest and sincere. Seriously. It may or may not come up, but either way, just explain and you'll be fine.

Its seems like maybe you don't think "love" is enough...and it's not...you've got tons of paperwork and evidence to compile. But if your relationship is real, the interview questions should be the least of your worries. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply and reading my previous questions but I think if you have really read my replies to people about my questions you wouldn't have said anything about my relationship whether it's fake or not. My questions have nothing to do with my relationship. My fiancee and I are so genuinely and deeply in love with each other but unfortunately and again..love isn't enough and convenient to the CO. Of course it's important and I should always express and convey my relationship on that basis. I've read so many stories about k1 cases getting declined for unknown reasons and that's exactly what I'm looking for or want to know. The CO might not be able to see that we do love each other or he might see it a fake relationship while it's so real. Their denial decisions are based on their points or what they concluded from the interview and sometimes he doesn't get what the interviewee is trying to say so its a declined case. NOT all of the declined cases are fake.

I said " get away" but I didn't mean to evade, or make up a fake answer. I mean I want to be able to articulate my points very well so the CO gets that our relation is legit...That's what it's all about. He might see that's culturally inappropriate but I don't see it that way. She was separated 6 years ago and filed her divorce 1 year before I even know her!

Actually we have more than enough evidences to show but we also have some red flags too. I was going to ask about how much evidences do I need to attach to the application forum and take with me to the interview. I mean I have thousand and thousands of texts, sms history, Viber Whatsapp, Kakao, Skype Chat history and call logs, Facebook messages, emails, pictures together, pictures of gifts and cards, airline tickets, boarding passes, hotels invoices, we hired a wedding planner and we're asking about having a joint bank account too.

But he might put aside everything and get concerned about my question above...being in a relationship while she was technically or legally married. I just need to be prepared.

NY_BX, on 18 Oct 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

If the K-1 petition has been submitted, it will be denied. Both of you must submit a divorce decree and/or proof you are free to marry prior to sending the visa paperwork. If you haven't you have a lot of work to do. The divorce decree must be submitted. If you include the current timeline of your relationship, this definitely will come up. No, you won't dodge the bullet, they will ask and you must answer truthfully.

What do you mean by " submitting her divorce decree PRIOR TO sending the visa paperwork! She's gonna attach her divorce decree to the form with the other required documents!

and why both of us I didn't say I'm the same thing I've never been married! I will have her divorce decree with me in the interview I know that

Crossed_fingers, on 18 Oct 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Let me ask it this way, would you have pursued or accepted the advances of a separated but still married Egyptian woman, particularly a 16 year older Egyptian woman with kids? If not, what made you open to entering into the relationship with an American woman? It does sound like your relationship has some of the typical fraud warning signs. Personally, I don't think the solution is to seek typical answers so much as to really think about why your individual relationship is different from the typical pattern, why you started this relationship with good intentions, and why you're planning on continuing this relationship long term.

You just said that my relationship has some typical fraud warning signs without even listening to my answer and I’m expecting that from the CO. Since I know and I’m so very sure that it’s not a fraud, I’m asking you now what would make you change your opinion about it. If saying that I love her would change it?

Ok I will answer you

Because I love her. I didn’t/ don’t choose to love her because love just happens. I didn’t / don’t think about any of our differences and non of them is actually an issue for us. I don’t care how old she is or where she’s from. In spite of all these differences, we understand each other, we communicate very well, we have the same wit and sense of humor, we are so compatible in a way that has never happened to me with anyone before in my last relationships. When we first met she told me that she was divorced and that gave me a relief because I was starting to get attached to her more and more and I was starting to have more feelings for her. She didn’t lie but it wasn’t just a final divorce. She had a court hearing the day before we met in Sep 2013 then they postpone it to Dec 2013 then Apr 2014 then Oct 2014 and I was with her praying to god every second for her to get her divorce as soon as possible so we can start our life. If I was a fraud I would have just run I would have said this woman is going to tie me up for so long and I would have given up on her and look for another. But I have never thought about that and I’ll never do because we’re committed to each other that we will never give up or let go.

We also took our time not to rush anything at the beginning. I was worried that she didn’t have the same feelings for me and she was worried about the same thing at the same time too. Even after we started our relationship, we weren’t “completely” sure that I can be the father of her kids and love them too. In June we really had a great time AS A FAMILY, we got along very well and for the first time I felt like I can be their father. Since that date we decided to get married but she hasn’t gotten her divorce decree by that date yet. After OCT 10th I thought it’s the time so I talked to her dad and asked him for his blessings to marry his daughter. He welcomed me and he will honor our marriage once we do.

That’s our story in brief ..I know this is a very long answer and the CO would want just short answers that goes straight to the point. Tell me if that convinced you and or what other things do I need to add or convey more?

Thanks

I just had to reply and say how disgustingly rude some people are on here. I saw your questions and didn't think about FRAUD or anything like that at all. Sorry people are so rude Romet.

Timeline

You don't know what your "red flags" are and there are far more than you believe. It's not just the age difference, the secrecy from your family, the religious differences, and the pile you already know about.

But you keep on, knowing everything, and trying to find work-arounds. Let us know how that works out for you.

RUDE. Don't bother responding to people on here. No one wants to hear your mouth.

Hello Ihavequestions and everyone. The Fiancée here. :)

I think VJ is an amazing website and has some great resources. Although I think this thread lost it's way a bit, I still think it's a good discussion and I want to personally thank everyone that is truly trying to help.

To answer specifically as to where exactly I stand in all of this: We BOTH use this site but I do not ask as many questions in open forums..... When I have specific questions, I tend to personally message folks and I use this site more as a tool on what is needed for the actual paperwork needed and how to file everything correctly). He is more a "ask questions type of guy" and feels comfortable on open forums such as this. I am not so much. I thought some of the information he disclosed was a bit personal, but I totally understand that you need more of the entire background story to get a full understanding and idea of what exactly our own circumstances are and what information it is we are specifically seeking. I see that helps everyone help us better.

So, with that being said: Let me try, if I can, to clarify a few things (give some details) and give a timeline of events (and get even MORE personal) LOL.

I am the American (Petitioner)

He is the Egyptian citizen (Beneficiary)

I am older by 16 years with two children and divorced.

I am Christian. He is Muslim.

I have been physically separated from the ex-husband since 2008, and due to financial issues (although I am an Accountant, I stayed home to raise our two children and we agreed we wouldn't divorce until I was better financially situated after he left) I didn't file for divorce until October 2012. Because of crazy bureaucracy in the Los Angeles family court system, it has taken me almost two years to the date to get the judge’s signature on the dotted line. My divorce was finalized early October 2014.

“M” and I met in September 2013 almost a year after I already filed for divorce and over 5 years after my “marriage” was over. A courtship started and our relationship escalated and we got "informally" engaged in February 2014. Meaning, I knew until the dissolution of marriage was signed, we'd have to wait to proceed with the K-1 visa. I have been to Egypt 3 times and have also brought my kids to Egypt to meet “M”.

“M” comes from a traditional somewhat religious Egyptian Muslim family. I didn't meet his family any of the times I traveled as it wasn't the right time and place for US. We knew his family probably wouldn't accept me because of all the reasons most people might have “questions/skepticism” about. Older, American, Christian, divorced, mother of 2. As “M” said before NONE OF THIS MATTERS TO US as a couple, but on the outside, it doesn't look like the “ideal” couple. “M” is also the “baby” of his family and they are a bit overprotective of him. Heck, my Mom is still extremely overprotective of my own brother (baby of our family) and he’s hella grown! J

To give a quick and VERY IMPORTANT update: “M” told his entire family about us (me) last Monday (the 20th) and to our surprise, they took it a LOT better than he anticipated. We are now making plans for me to have our first visit. Very excited and very nervous! LOL Also, a little more .. his family KNOWS who I am… but only knew me to be a very good “friend”. His father was very instrumental in trying to get him a visitor visa (which was declined) when “M” was going to try to come visit earlier this year. They knew he’d be staying with me and my family.

Now, to the initial question “M” was asking:

We hired a visa preparation company (this was before we found VJ – I hired them or I would have NEVER EVER hired them) and they listed some items that would be considered “red flags”, especially in that region of the world. We’d read on other forums (sites) that our age and religion would be possible red flags but we didn't anticipate that “timing” of our relationship would be questioned. I think that stems from I've been out of my marriage for so long that it never dawned on me that the validity of our relationship could be questioned because we were “in a relationship” while I was “technically (on paper)” considered married. I have even consulted the ex-husband to say I will need an affidavit from him verifying we have NOT been together since 2008.

“M” took to VJ to see if anyone had gone through a similar circumstance (it literally seems like folks on here have been there and seen it all) as we our facing.

I've learned from reading many different experiences and accounts that everyone’s situation is different.

I've also read that his parent’s not knowing could be the BIGGEST of them. Now God willing, that will NOT be an issue anymore.

So, I hope this “dissertation” clears up a few things. ;) There isn't anything fraudulent about him or our relationship, and I don’t totally want to speak for him, but I think he really just want to make sure that he has the best chance possibly to unite with me and get our life together started. We BOTH are overly interested in securing his visa because we just want to be together and get married. That’s the bottom line. I pray that’s as soon as possible.

Thanks for listening.

The Fiancée

Hi there! Any questions you can private message me. I would be glad to help in any way I can if I know the answer. These people are just too rude and you took it like a champ!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Something tells me you don't think like a CO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think that this entire thread just proves how incredibly complicated the entire visa process is for each and every situation. There is no "one size fits all" mechanism by which all of us may evaluate any situation here. We can only offer advice based on our situations. No one on here is a CO, and if they are, I am sure they're offering unofficial advice anyway.

I do have to say though that I believe (in my opinion, mind you) that taking the step to finally meet his parents, etc. is incredibly important. My husband is also Muslim and Egyptian, and I never felt for one moment that that was going to cause an issue with his family. It's not "illegal" in terms of religion for a male Muslim to marry a Christian woman. Nor for her to be divorced and have children. In fact, the religion says you should take care of divorced women. I am well aware that cultural norms and practices vary in terms of actual behavior, but again, it's not uncommon for Muslim Egyptian men to marry non-Muslim women.

Again, just do the best you can and explain your situation. Create a timeline similar to the one you use on VJ and use pictures and and screen capture from Facebook, skype, etc. however you communicate. Tell your story. Create a cover letter to go with your documents too to explain things. It's ok to send more than what they ask for. This is your life and you have to tell it the way it is--accurately. Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

RUDE. Don't bother responding to people on here. No one wants to hear your mouth.

And your comment was nice?

Perhaps it would be wise not to read "rudeness" into people who are actually trying to be helpful. Pointing out that when it comes to interview questions, a sincere personal story is better than a canned, pre-scripted response for "red flag" issues isn't rude...its actually helpful.

When I started this process I asked my lawyer if we should just try to get my husband a visitor visa and then get married while he was here in the US. She very quickly responded to me "Well that would be fraud, and if USCIS realize you did that intentionally, he could get banned for 10+ years...bad idea!" But guess what, because we weren't trying to commit fraud, I didn't take it personal. I didn't get angry and accuse her of being "disgustingly RUDE" because she mentioned the word "fraud." I didn't feel threatened because I knew it wasn't fraud. I actually appreciated the info and we moved forward successfully.

No need to create drama with accusations. Romet is a big boy - he can stand up for himself (an did) - and we all wish him and his fiance the best. And I stand by my first recommendation. Worry about correctly compiling all the evidence you have to submit. For genuine relationships, the interview is a breeze.

Timeline

And your comment was nice?

Perhaps it would be wise not to read "rudeness" into people who are actually trying to be helpful. Pointing out that when it comes to interview questions, a sincere personal story is better than a canned, pre-scripted response for "red flag" issues isn't rude...its actually helpful.

When I started this process I asked my lawyer if we should just try to get my husband a visitor visa and then get married while he was here in the US. She very quickly responded to me "Well that would be fraud, and if USCIS realize you did that intentionally, he could get banned for 10+ years...bad idea!" But guess what, because we weren't trying to commit fraud, I didn't take it personal. I didn't get angry and accuse her of being "disgustingly RUDE" because she mentioned the word "fraud." I didn't feel threatened because I knew it wasn't fraud. I actually appreciated the info and we moved forward successfully.

No need to create drama with accusations. Romet is a big boy - he can stand up for himself (an did) - and we all wish him and his fiance the best. And I stand by my first recommendation. Worry about correctly compiling all the evidence you have to submit. For genuine relationships, the interview is a breeze.

Yes he is a big boy and can stand up for himself. I have the right to give my opinion and I did. I like to be an advocate for people, it's just in my blood! Take care :*

So, now the divorce isn't the issue. However, her not meeting your family is; exactly for the reason you stated. A CO may see this as a red flag and not taking her seriously. They will ask about that. Also, when was the last time you were with her? In other words, when was the last time she visited?

NY-BX,

You kind of missed this the point, the only requirement is that they both have is to meet once within a 2 year period, naturally the more they meet the better it is at the interview, meeting the family isn't a requirement for filing a K1 petition, but it does help the process. The OP has expressed that there might be issues because of Religion issues with his parents that they might not approve of this relationship, which is understandable. This is something the OP needs to work on, convincing the parents to accept his choice of her as a partner in his life. They only need 1 Photo Op with his family to make it clear, but the question is her safety in Egypt if she travels there, regardless of what they think of the relationship!

As for the divorce issue, I petitioned for my 2nd ex K1, about 3 months after my 1st divorce was final, when I wrote my Evolution of Relationship letter, I clearly stated that the 2nd ex wasn't the reason for this divorce. As for the current petition that is pending approval at the NVC IR1/CR1, it was filed 7 months after the 2nd divorce was final, but we were involved (knew each other for more that 2 years).

My adviced to the OP, front load the K1 petition with all the evidence you two can get, chat logs, board ticket, places you two have visited, photos fo your two together, anything that you two can think of to make a strong presentation to USCIS, and continue to collect these after the petition is filed, and up to the date of the interview date (Known as the everything and the Kitchen Sink, you need to have available at the interview just in case the CO asks for it).

Edited by Chris&Angel

Met onilne 17 Jan 2012, via skype & yahoo IM

Married 4 Dec 2013

I-130 Filed 1/24/2014

I-130 NOA1 2/7/2014

I-130 NOA2 7/11/2014 Approved

I-130 Package Sent to NVC 7/31/2014

I-130 Package Received at NVC 8/4/2014

Case Uploaded 8/13/2014

Received Case # and Invoice # 8/15/2014

DS-261 Completed 8/27/2014

AOS Fee Paid and Cleared Bank 8/29/2014

AOS Package sent to NVC 8/30/2014

AOS Package Received at NVC 9/2/2014

IV Fee Email Received 9/27/2014

IV Fee Bill Payment Made 9/27/2014

COC for Malayisa Applied Online 9/27/2014

COC for Singapore Applied for at Local Office 9/29/2014, pick-up date 13 Oct 20

DS-260 Completed 10/2/2014

IV Fee's Mark as Paid by NVC 9/30/2014

IV Packet Sent to NVC on 16 Oct 2014

IV Packet Received at NVC 17 Oct 2014

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

NY-BX,

You kind of missed this the point, the only requirement is that they both have is to meet once within a 2 year period, naturally the more they meet the better it is at the interview, meeting the family isn't a requirement for filing a K1 petition, but it does help the process. The OP has expressed that there might be issues because of Religion issues with his parents that they might not approve of this relationship, which is understandable. This is something the OP needs to work on, convincing the parents to accept his choice of her as a partner in his life. They only need 1 Photo Op with his family to make it clear, but the question is her safety in Egypt if she travels there, regardless of what they think of the relationship!

Chris&Angel, you kind of missed this point, the ultimate goal here is not to get the rubber stamp from USCIS because the couple demonstrated the bare minimum legal requirement of a meeting within the last 2 years, but to actually get a visa from a suspicious CO at a very high fraud consulate. NY-BX has a good handle on the MENA-specific challenges that are present in this situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.