Romet

Our relationship started while she was technically married

64 posts in this topic

Chris&Angel, you kind of missed this point, the ultimate goal here is not to get the rubber stamp from USCIS because the couple demonstrated the bare minimum legal requirement of a meeting within the last 2 years, but to actually get a visa from a suspicious CO at a very high fraud consulate. NY-BX has a good handle on the MENA-specific challenges that are present in this situation.

My point is, you have to get to point A before going to point B, both have to be strong from the start to finish, more so in a high fraud consulate. If you think the Embassy in Guangzhou, China is a cake walk, China has a high fraud rate too, and this emabassy is doing 250 plus interviews per day, been there and seen it. The biggest challenge for the OP from my POV is the age factor, I wish them all the best that when their packet arrives at the embassy, that it is very strong and convincing to get CO approval.

The standard for the minimum legal requirement is just that, I don't recommend going down this path, the more visits between them will strengthen their petition. They have a lot work in front of them right from the start, and they need to continue this to the day of the interview. Frontload the K1 Petition from the very start, this is what the CO will see first, the OP needs everything (chat logs, skype, birthday card and presents, anything to prove this relationship is real solid) after the submission at the time of the interview, and strong Evolution of Relationship letter from the petitioner, typed and hand written and notorized, even to the point of emailing EOR to the embassy prior to the interview, to insure this is in the file goes a long way towards approval.

I have been down both paths, K1 in China and IR1/CR1 in Singapore which is pending approval, both petitions have been Frontloaded right from the start.

Met onilne 17 Jan 2012, via skype & yahoo IM

Married 4 Dec 2013

I-130 Filed 1/24/2014

I-130 NOA1 2/7/2014

I-130 NOA2 7/11/2014 Approved

I-130 Package Sent to NVC 7/31/2014

I-130 Package Received at NVC 8/4/2014

Case Uploaded 8/13/2014

Received Case # and Invoice # 8/15/2014

DS-261 Completed 8/27/2014

AOS Fee Paid and Cleared Bank 8/29/2014

AOS Package sent to NVC 8/30/2014

AOS Package Received at NVC 9/2/2014

IV Fee Email Received 9/27/2014

IV Fee Bill Payment Made 9/27/2014

COC for Malayisa Applied Online 9/27/2014

COC for Singapore Applied for at Local Office 9/29/2014, pick-up date 13 Oct 20

DS-260 Completed 10/2/2014

IV Fee's Mark as Paid by NVC 9/30/2014

IV Packet Sent to NVC on 16 Oct 2014

IV Packet Received at NVC 17 Oct 2014

Front loading is great advice. No one thinks Guangzhou is easy. But difficult consulates are all difficult in their own unique and culturally specific context ways. What flies in Guangzhou can be a big red flag in Egypt, that can't be glossed over. I've never seen anyone fretting over USCIS approval, except for a few weird situations where people were trying (always unsuccessfully) to get a waiver for meeting in person first. Getting to Point A is a given in the OP's situation. Front loading is not the end all be all though, which is where NY-BX's advice came in handy.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Front loading is great advice. No one thinks Guangzhou is easy. But difficult consulates are all difficult in their own unique and culturally specific context ways. What flies in Guangzhou can be a big red flag in Egypt, that can't be glossed over. I've never seen anyone fretting over USCIS approval, except for a few weird situations where people were trying (always unsuccessfully) to get a waiver for meeting in person first. Getting to Point A is a given in the OP's situation. Front loading is not the end all be all though, which is where NY-BX's advice came in handy.

I agree, every situation is different, but as the old saying goes "Don't leave any stone unturned", this couple has a some major challenges in front of them, all bases (fears or worries) need to be covered from every angle, no need to have an RFE coming from USCIS because something missing right from the start. A weak filed petition will draw red flags and delays, more so than a a strong convincing frontloaded petition that details every step in their relationship from day one.

Each step of the process is a challenge, the person at USCIS has to make a sound and reasonable judgment based on the file in front of him/her, this isn't a given as you might think, to approve the first step.

The NVC is the next step, background name check (FBI) as the first step for a K1, which ca be as short as a week but could take a number of weeks to complete, before the file is submitted to the local embassy, its here that the real work begins from the DOS IV unit, as the beneficary goes through another background name check/investigation locally which needs to be spotless. The DOS IV unit will use they information they find locally to format their line of questioning for the interview, one thing to remember, the CO can ask any question they want at the interview, the beneficary better be completely prepaired and ready to answer these questions, if the beneficary passes the interview all is well, then they will issue the Visa.

Met onilne 17 Jan 2012, via skype & yahoo IM

Married 4 Dec 2013

I-130 Filed 1/24/2014

I-130 NOA1 2/7/2014

I-130 NOA2 7/11/2014 Approved

I-130 Package Sent to NVC 7/31/2014

I-130 Package Received at NVC 8/4/2014

Case Uploaded 8/13/2014

Received Case # and Invoice # 8/15/2014

DS-261 Completed 8/27/2014

AOS Fee Paid and Cleared Bank 8/29/2014

AOS Package sent to NVC 8/30/2014

AOS Package Received at NVC 9/2/2014

IV Fee Email Received 9/27/2014

IV Fee Bill Payment Made 9/27/2014

COC for Malayisa Applied Online 9/27/2014

COC for Singapore Applied for at Local Office 9/29/2014, pick-up date 13 Oct 20

DS-260 Completed 10/2/2014

IV Fee's Mark as Paid by NVC 9/30/2014

IV Packet Sent to NVC on 16 Oct 2014

IV Packet Received at NVC 17 Oct 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

To answer your original question, I met my husband when I was still married, but legally separated from my ex and it was a non issue. And to make it clear to all nay-sayers. My now husband is 21 years younger than I am, I have 2 children from a previous marriage, we are different religions, and he is from a MENA country. Today was our 3rd wedding anniversary and he has been in the US more than 2 years. We are living happily ever after. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.