Divalicious

I did something pretty stupid..

42 posts in this topic

Just to illustrate how nervous one can get, even a U.S. citizen coming through customs/immigration:

Once I was coming back from Netherlands with cheese in my carry-on.

The officer asks me: "Are you carrying any food?" I say, "Yes, I brought back some cheese." He says, "Is it a GOOD-ah cheese?" with a big smile...meaning, is the cheese good, ha ha... I say, "Um....gosh....I'm not sure, I might've bought Edam or something else...but it's in a wax coating...is that a problem?" (I got thrown because he pronounced it good-a and not ghoud-ah).

He just looks at me, and puts a hand over his eyes, shakes his head a little... he was making a joke, "Is it a good cheese/gouda cheese? Get it?" I started to laugh... You can get so nervous you forget they're people too.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Relax. They don't have records of what you said. They ask you so that they can see your reaction on the spot and look for suspicious reactions. Do not volunteer any information they don't ask for. Example:

Officer: Hey, how are you doing tod--

You: SIR I'M SO SORRY I LIED AWHILE AGO ABOUT MYJDFKLGJSDJFD...

Don't do that. No reason to mention it at all. If they ask you a question, answer it honestly. If they recorded any of the conversations, they wouldn't have had to ask every time I crossed the border to see my SO what his job was, how we met, etc. It's like the first time every time.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you got pulled into secondary inspection and questioned there, chances are they don't have a word for word record of what you said. Just be truthful from here on in and you should be fine.

Yeah. It's no big deal. You're fine.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don't exactly have an answer for you, but no, it's not strange. When I first flew to the USA the IO asked me what my reason for travel was and I said to meet my boyfriend for the first time, he asked some questions about how me met, how long we've known eachother, I answer honestly (on a chat site & at the time it was 3 years) He said, "OK, be careful" and sent me on my way :)

Met Online - July, 2009
To see our full timeline see "Spolier"

USCIS
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Dublin, Ireland
Marriage : September, 12th 2012
I-130 Sent : November, 11th 2013
I-130 NOA1: November, 20th 2013
I-130 NOA2 : April, 28th 2014

NVC
Shipped to NVC: May 1st, 2014
Case Received: May 13th, 2014
Case Number Assigned: June 6th, 2014
AOS Bill Paid: June 22nd, 2014
AOS Packet sent Express: June 27th, 2014
AOS Packet Received and signed for by "NVISA*: June 30th, 2014
AOS Packet scanned into system: July 3rd, 2014
IV Bill invoiced and paid: August 7th, 2014
DS260 completed: August 8th, 2014
IV Packet sent Express: August 9th, 2014
ATTEMPTED DELIVERY UNITED STATES 16-Aug-14
11:58 NO ANSWER AT ADDRESS (tried to deliver on a saturday) :lol:

IV Packet Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: August 18th, 2014
IV Packet scanned in: 19th August, 2014
AOS Checklist - August 21st, 2014 http://prntscr.com/4gsyod click link to see the checklist
Fixed AOS (I-864a) Sent to NVC - September 8th, 2014
Fixed AOS Received and signed for by *NVISA CENTER*: September 15th, 2014

CASE COMPLETE - 20th October 2014
Medical Scheduled: November 12th
Interview December 23rd (called October 30th)

Interview Changed to December 8th! (Embassy called me!!)

Interview Result: APRROVED! :dance:

Visa in hand: December 11th!

event.png event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am honestly so sorry for what I did. If I say we met online on a forum, will they think that's strange? What may they ask me?

Do they keep exact records of what I have said previously? I'm so scared of being detained. I am going out for Christmas and would hate to be sent back home.

They do keep records of your every word, trust me on this. Do not ever try to lie them, specially if you are not good at it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

They do keep records of your every word, trust me on this. Do not ever try to lie them, specially if you are not good at it

No they don't keep records of every word you say to an immigration person stamping your passport. Please don't make people even more paranoid.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just came back from my visit in the USA, when I went through US Immigration they asked me what I was doing here, I said I was visiting a friend. They asked how we met and under so much pressure, I said we met through a friend when he was visiting the UK but this was actually false. We met online and this was going to be our first time of meeting. They let me through when I gave names of my friends I was visiting and my job information. Would they have kept exact notes on what I said?

I am now going back in December and I am so terrified of going through Immigration again. What would you suggest I say this time?

I cannot believe how stupid I was.

I really doubt they actually took and kept any notes based on what you said for your permanent record. There's a lot of bureaucracy involved here but more incompetence and disjointed systems than anything else.

11/27/2013 - NOA1

12/12/2013 - ARN Change

03/18/2014 - RFE sent (no email notice or update online!)

03/29/2014 - RFE notice received in the mail

03/31/2014 - RFE response overnighted

04/08/2014 - NOA2! Hooray!!! (132 days)

04/11/2014 - Post Decision Activity: Forwarded to Department of State (NVC)

04/12/2014 - Received NOA2 hardcopy. Fancy!

04/23/2014 - NVC Received

04/28/2014 - NVC forwarded to consulate. GAME ON!

05/19/2014 - Interview date received via email (by request)

06/10/2014 - Interview - Approved, but... in ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING due to incompetence

07/17/2014 - My Congressman's office sends an inquiry on our behalf

07/18/2014 - VISA SUPPOSEDLY ISSUED & MAILED!! Status reads "Ready" but was mailed per email to Congressman's office

07/28/2014 - COMPUTER GLITCH. Still waiting for visa.

08/04/2014 - ISSUED!

08/07/2014 - Visa received!!!!!!!!!!!

08/12/2014 - US ENTRY!!!!!!!

08/13/2014 - Applied for SSN

08/19/2014 - Received Social Security Card

08/22/2014 - Obtained Marriage License

09/08/2014 - We are married!

09/18/2014 - Filed I-485 & I-765

09/26/2014 - NOA 1 / I-485 & I-765

10/23/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11/07/2014 - EAD card ordered to be produced
11/17/2014 - Employment Authorization card received!
02/18/2015 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case received
07/03/2015 - Notice of Permanent Residency Approval / Welcome Notice received! (Issued 06/27/2015)
02/03/2016 - Got him out of my house.
05/27/2016 - Divorce finalized.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

and why should we trust you, do you have proof? Why scare someone unnecessarily?

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

They do not keep record of every word. You would know if they decide to keep record of what you are saying, because then they will be typing furiously on that computer keyboard. So, did the CBPO type into his computer word for word? I guess not, so there is no record of what you said. But lying in General is a bad idea, particularly to US immigration.

However things can get real ugly if you volunteer to your next CBPO that you lied to your first CBPO !! Don't do that. Just be truthful next time without bringing up what little lie you told in the past.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, It has been mentioned to me that I may be asked about why I am returning so soon? Since I just got home and am returning in December. Do you think this is possible?

Edited by Divalicious

I just came back from my visit in the USA, when I went through US Immigration they asked me what I was doing here, I said I was visiting a friend. They asked how we met and under so much pressure, I said we met through a friend when he was visiting the UK but this was actually false. We met online and this was going to be our first time of meeting. They let me through when I gave names of my friends I was visiting and my job information. Would they have kept exact notes on what I said?

I am now going back in December and I am so terrified of going through Immigration again. What would you suggest I say this time?

I cannot believe how stupid I was.

Divalicious- I just came back from the US last week, visiting my husband. No they do not keep a record of what you say.

Like others have said do not volunteer information, just answer them honesty as they ask you questions. I was asked what was the purpose of my visit and who I was visiting. To which I responded a holiday and my husband. I was then asked is he moving to the UK or am I moving there, I said I was moving there and that was that!

I am also hoping to go back in December. I know how you might feel under pressure or nervous, but like others have said do not volunteer information, just answer them honesty as they ask you the questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.