UncleBeer

Visa Waiver Program filers of AOS

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm trying to puzzle out the legality of my situation. The wife & kids are still abroad, waiting for NVC to get around to processing their forms. A thought occurred: Why can't they fly over under the Visa Waiver Program (applies in their country) and upon arrival, file for Adjustment of Status? I found this USCIS memo from 2013:

INA section 245©(4) renders aliens admitted under the VWP ineligible to adjust status to that of a
person admitted for permanent residence. This provision, however, includes an exception for
immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. Thus, an individual admitted under the VWP who is also an
immediate relative is not precluded from seeking adjustment of status, even after the VWP period
has expired.

The only hitch that I can see is possibly misrepresenting the nature of their visit at POE. If they don't say "immigration" when asked their purpose of visit, then it's visa fraud, and could potentially lead to a years-long ban.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Having intent when arriving creates the fraud. If you already have papers filed be certain their visit intent will be questioned. Lie and be the one they decide to go after and your wife will be a permanent resident of another country. How often does it back fire , who knows. Are you willing to live with the result if it does backfire , only you know. PS you have posted on a site monitored by immigration.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Be aware that should something go quite wrong and the AOS is denied, they have no way to appeal the decision since they would have come in on the VWP, which waives the right to appeal any removal proceedings.

Also, the amount of people who enter as a "tourist" but intend to stay is the reason why law-abiding people have such a hard time visiting their loved ones.

NVC are doing what they can right now to reduce their backlog. We're all tired of waiting, but remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Usually this path requires lying to immigration. Purpose of the visit is not my concern question, it is the "how long will you be staying". If your family says "2 weeks" when in fact they intend to immigrate, that is the fraud

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

If you really love your wife and she is important to you, why would you even begin to consider jeopardizing your future life together in such a way?

I had absolutely no intent of telling her to lie at POE, and I resent your insinuation. I posed my question because the INA memo I quoted seemed to make an exception to the "entering as a tourist" rule for immediate family members, and was hoping someone had some specific legal knowledge of this, and not just scolding remarks. Thanks anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

On VJ it is delicate subject, have a consult with an Immigration Lawyer, you may be pleased about what you hear.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

That provision is usually for people who come to the US on the visa waiver program and meet someone or decide spur of the moment to get married. Even VWP are questioned on entry as to how long they intend to stay, the purpose of the visit, who they will be visiting or their general plans. All it takes is her fudging the answer to one question and she could be hit with a material misrepresentation. If that happens she could get a life-time ban from entering the US, even as an immediate relative of a USC.

Timeline

That provision is usually for people who come to the US on the visa waiver program and meet someone or decide spur of the moment to get married. Even VWP are questioned on entry as to how long they intend to stay, the purpose of the visit, who they will be visiting or their general plans. All it takes is her fudging the answer to one question and she could be hit with a material misrepresentation. If that happens she could get a life-time ban from entering the US, even as an immediate relative of a USC.

The ban get mentioned a lot, but no links to those posters who have it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The ban get mentioned a lot, but no links to those posters who have it?

Perhaps because our members know better and have not committed this type of immigration fraud.

From my pre-immigration life I do know of individuals who received permanent bans from committing immigration fraud. I worked for a Member of Parliament in Canada and we were approached a number of times by Canadians who had received permanent bans for committing both visa fraud and lying to US immigration, and wanted our help in getting the bans overturned - something, of course, we were totally not able to do. It happens - so why play fast and loose with something so important as your spouse?

Uncle Beer, I did not mean to imply that you would ask her to lie or that you had any intent of her lying to immigration and I apologize if that is how it came across. You were asking if this was an option based upon what you had read with regards to the VWP . I was trying to convey that with something this important you wouldn't want to take any sort of risk that could result in tragic unintended consequences.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

If it was that easy, wouldn't everyone here who has filed for a spousal visa be doing it?

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

If it was that easy, wouldn't everyone here who has filed for a spousal visa be doing it?

Note that I began my query asking about the legalities of the situation, trying to be sure not to run afoul of the law.

A real shame folks can't come here to post questions without getting a boatload of wiseacre comments in return. <_<

Timeline

Not everybody has access to the US, other than through a K1 etc.

You seem to be assuming that VJ is a reflection of all those moving here, it is not.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not necessarily. I filed the CR-1 and the wife has a B-2 visa. We visited the US a couple of times and left to continued the CR-1. It's not that we have high morals but the AOS didn't fit our situation. Financially it was better for us to wait and the wife wanted to attained English/driving school in her home country before making the move. AOS was not a fit for us. For others it's a solution to a complicated situation.

It is a loop hole; don't get upset that individuals use it. Go vote and get it changed. Mid term elections are coming up and immigration reform will be one of the top hot topics this time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.