3,165 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey folks!

I was able to access the case using my invoice ID and today it shows the AOS application. Until yesterday, it showed me a message saying that the case has not been selected for processing by NVC. So maybe they have begun the pre-processing and I will receive the email in a couple of days! A million thanks to God and also to you guys who were always around with tips and info. Wishing everyone loads of luck. Puru, pls keep me informed about your case. Hope you get it done with soon!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey folks!

I was able to access the case using my invoice ID and today it shows the AOS application. Until yesterday, it showed me a message saying that the case has not been selected for processing by NVC. So maybe they have begun the pre-processing and I will receive the email in a couple of days! A million thanks to God and also to you guys who were always around with tips and info. Wishing everyone loads of luck. Puru, pls keep me informed about your case. Hope you get it done with soon!

Now ur talking :) at last something good!!

I think you will hear soon by them.

But, u said something about "Invoice ID" ??? That you checked with it, where did you checked and by which ID??

Whats that?? Before Consular processing, petitioner and beneficiary have only 2 numbers including USCIS number which starts with WAC for california filers and NVC when petition gt approved and waiting there to get current.

Please, clarify about this Invoice ID. Where it was mentioned, specifically on which form??

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

But, u said something about "Invoice ID" ??? That you checked with it, where did you checked and by which ID??

Whats that?? Before Consular processing, petitioner and beneficiary have only 2 numbers including USCIS number which starts with WAC for california filers and NVC when petition gt approved and waiting there to get current.

Please, clarify about this Invoice ID. Where it was mentioned, specifically on which form??

When NVC sends you the email containing your case number, the invoice ID and beneficiary ID numbers are also mentioned there.

Timeline

When NVC sends you the email containing your case number, the invoice ID and beneficiary ID numbers are also mentioned there.

Thanks Apple, just got it from my inbox. By the way, where should I check it??

Please provide the link.

Timeline

Thanks Apple, just got it from my inbox. By the way, where should I check it??

Please provide the link.

https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

Timeline

:dancing: Hey Puru I'm overjoyed with this new development. Ok now I'll explain.

Last May I sent an email to NVC asking about the case. I received a reply May end saying they do not know when it might become current, but they sent me the applicant and petitioner details, which included the Invoice ID and asked me to save it.

Later I read somewhere that the applicant or petitioner must log on using invoice ID while filling out DS-261 and for paying fees. So I used the ID and logged in to "Appointment Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants (Packet 4)" on Mumbai US consulate website. Also the ID can be used to log in to "Pay NVC fees online".

The Mumbai US consulate said that NVC had not begun processing that's the message I received until yesterday. But today it shows the application for DS-261 and other details. But I must wait till I receive the email. Probably, NVC has sent the case to Mumbai and that's the status as of now. So when they are done and ready, they will inform us by email, which I think should be any day now.

And like I told you earlier, I'm sure they have streamlined the electronic processing and they get in touch just before the PD becomes current. Also, the applicant must not commit mistakes while filling out forms or while sending documents, as that causes delays. But if everything is done correctly, they schedule the interviews during the month that the applicant is current, which could be March or April for my son.

Ok so hope you understood the procedures. I'll be you posted as I receive any correspondence from NVC.

Timeline

:dancing: Hey Puru I'm overjoyed with this new development. Ok now I'll explain.

Last May I sent an email to NVC asking about the case. I received a reply May end saying they do not know when it might become current, but they sent me the applicant and petitioner details, which included the Invoice ID and asked me to save it.

Later I read somewhere that the applicant or petitioner must log on using invoice ID while filling out DS-261 and for paying fees. So I used the ID and logged in to "Appointment Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants (Packet 4)" on Mumbai US consulate website. Also the ID can be used to log in to "Pay NVC fees online".

The Mumbai US consulate said that NVC had not begun processing that's the message I received until yesterday. But today it shows the application for DS-261 and other details. But I must wait till I receive the email. Probably, NVC has sent the case to Mumbai and that's the status as of now. So when they are done and ready, they will inform us by email, which I think should be any day now.

And like I told you earlier, I'm sure they have streamlined the electronic processing and they get in touch just before the PD becomes current. Also, the applicant must not commit mistakes while filling out forms or while sending documents, as that causes delays. But if everything is done correctly, they schedule the interviews during the month that the applicant is current, which could be March or April for my son.

Ok so hope you understood the procedures. I'll be you posted as I receive any correspondence from NVC.

Okey, It looks weird but I have just entered that link.

It showing DS-261 form to fill. It looks very tempting right now to me to get started but they said specifically that Individuals who have been asked by NVC to fill COA or DS-261 will start the application.

Im confused right now, what to do?? If i am not eligible yet then how come their system showing me DS-261, in fact I can fill it right now. Only, one thing stops me that I havnt receive anything from NVC in this regard.

Somebody help

Summary Information

The next step in the immigration process is for the applicant to complete form DS-261, Online Choice of Address and Agent. The DS-261 tells the National Visa Center how to contact the applicant during the course of the immigrant visa application process. The applicant may use this form to request that all correspondence concerning the visa application be sent to him/her. The form may also be used to choose an agent to receive correspondence concerning the visa application.

If the applicant chooses an agent, the agent can be the petitioner, a relative, a friend, or a charitable organization, such as a church or other immigrant assistance organization. As mail delivery is often unreliable in many parts of the world, we strongly encourage the appointment of an agent who has an address in the United States.

To begin completing the DS-261, please click the Start Application link below.

It shows this message and there are application links provided to fill DS-261. Whats does it mean??

Timeline

NVC will only send your case file to the embassy if they already scheduled your interview.

If the DS261 is available already then just fill it out.

For F2B or F1, NVC usually starts the process a year before the PD becomes current. That's what happened to my husband's F2B petition.

Timeline

Form DS-260 (Application for Immigrant Visas) Sorry, I think I put up the wrong link earlier. Go to https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspxand log in. It asks for Case number first, then opens another page that also asks for Invoice ID and select whether you are petitioner, aplicant, attorney, or third party agent. Did you get all that?

And Puru, you should fill out the DS-261 only after receiving the email from NVC or the embassy. I think that is important because they would've just entered the form in their system and may activate it after the email is sent out.

As your PD nears, they start putting up all the relevant forms. But you cannot access much because I noticed that they have not put in the fee amount yet. So that will be activated in the next phase perhaps.

Read this:

You have selected the Choice of Address and Agent form. This form is for individuals who have received notification from the National Visa Center (NVC) that their immigrant visa case is ready for initial processing.
The following instructions contain important information about the form process. Please read all the instructions carefully.
Edited by chubbs

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As puru stepped into my forum for some timely help, i thought of returning the help...NVC has started the near to almost the online processing of cases for countries other than Electronic processing. The difference is, In Online Processing, you have to fill the forms online and send the printout by mail. So there is no Opt-in yet..Once you submit the DS260, AOS & IV fees,(Links provided by apple21) you will see a N/A next to that option, if everything is properly & correctly submitted without any errors(Remember checklists...).If you see 3 N/A, then it is a "Case Complete".. :thumbs:

Just Go ahead and fill or pay whenever anything is available online...only in Gov.Immigration Website... :P

Good Luck

Timeline

As puru stepped into my forum for some timely help, i thought of returning the help...NVC has started the near to almost the online processing of cases for countries other than Electronic processing. The difference is, In Online Processing, you have to fill the forms online and send the printout by mail. So there is no Opt-in yet..Once you submit the DS260, AOS & IV fees,(Links provided by apple21) you will see a N/A next to that option, if everything is properly & correctly submitted without any errors(Remember checklists...).If you see 3 N/A, then it is a "Case Complete".. :thumbs:

Just Go ahead and fill or pay whenever anything is available online...only in Gov.Immigration Website... :P

Good Luck

Thanks Visa Grant for your help. That's quite an interesting overview of the process :)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks Visa Grant for your help. That's quite an interesting overview of the process :)

Hi Puru,

When did you email NVC and what for? I may email them for something so I can get Invoice ID for person I'm helping. BTW if I remember correctly, your PD is December 2008. Did you finalize and/or got approval for Opt Out so they are not processing you as F1? TIA.

Timeline

Hi Puru,

When did you email NVC and what for? I may email them for something so I can get Invoice ID for person I'm helping. BTW if I remember correctly, your PD is December 2008. Did you finalize and/or got approval for Opt Out so they are not processing you as F1? TIA.

I mailed them to ask about my case status in past. Generally, they mention all the necessary info in the footer of the mail like Case number, priority date, embassy/consulate address, preference category etc. But, when I checked the last mail of NVC in my inbox there was this Invoice Id number mentioned with all these general info. This seem to be a new thing which requires to initiate the process faster through electronic processing, i remember I never saw this Invoice ID number before.

Filed: Timeline

I mailed them to ask about my case status in past. Generally, they mention all the necessary info in the footer of the mail like Case number, priority date, embassy/consulate address, preference category etc. But, when I checked the last mail of NVC in my inbox there was this Invoice Id number mentioned with all these general info. This seem to be a new thing which requires to initiate the process faster through electronic processing, i remember I never saw this Invoice ID number before.

Gotcha! Do they still have you as F2B or F1?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.