w0ndering

Email order bride - POE

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I saw this on netflix. one thing concerned me. A man was waiting for his woman to arrive at the airport and they showed standing there, they switched a different couple, going back to showing him waiting. Finally after 3 hours she came out. they said customs was asking her questions. What can they ask for so long, and why? K-1 is not where there would be so much suspicion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Customs and Immigration can take a while. Sometimes the delay is because there are many other people also being processed through immigration at the same time such as several international flights landing within a few minutes of each other. Each flight may have several hundred passengers, many of whom will not be returning US citizens or residents, so all of their paperwork will be checked, and if there are any suspicious people, immigration's resources may focus on dealing with them while others are waiting.

Sometimes there are questions about baggage and luggage that need to be sorted out, especially if someone is moving from another country and the paperwork isn't completed properly, or there are items that are not allowed to enter the US. This takes time, and people are left waiting.

Sometimes there are concerns and questions about the visa holder themselves especially if they act suspicious or overly nervous or something sends up a red flag so they get questioned and perhaps have to wait while documents are checked and such.

Even if there are no problems, processing a K-1 takes time. I crossed at a land border and had to wait while people ahead of me were processed. My visa itself took about 30 minutes to complete so it was nearly an hour after arriving at the border that I was on my way. While there will be more immigration officers to process someone through immigration at an international airport, there will also be a lot more people to be processed.

So, while 3 hours is long, it can still happen even if there are no problems at all, just because of the volume of arrivals going through immigration.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

i dont have permission to edit my post. but this was a woman from RU, not Iran, or some place where they need to be concerned about a muslim coming here and... doing whatever. Just some RU woman coming to be with a man and get married.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

K-1 holders are sent to secondary inspection for further processing, therefore depending on how many other persons were in the room waiting to be interviewed, the wait could have been a good couple of hours. Consider that before this person went to secondary inspection, she may have been waiting for her turn, in line, with other non-US citiizens for quite a while already. The non-US citizens/residents is normally the line with the longer waiting time.

It is inlikely that one person was interviewed for three hours, so my guess is that Nextlix didn't quite tell the entire story. Under normal circumstances, on a busy day, it would not be completely unfathomable that someone shouldl take three hours to go through immigration, secondary and customs.

Waiting time will vary according to airport, day of the week and time of the day. The more international flights you have arriving at one airport concurrently, the longer the wait at immigration.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

the only people guaranteed entry are US Citizens. Valid visa holders can be denied at POE, for any number of reasons (fraud, smuggling, criminal activity).

What is striking is that you call this woman an email order bride. The law doesn't allow for this; you have to have met in person at least once. So surely this woman is not in fact an email order bride if you have met her. But you still call her that? Telling.

no... I did not call her anything. I said, wrote that I SAW THIS ON NETFLIX.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/galleries/episode-e-mail-order-bride/at/3979_inside_email_order_bride-05_04700300-7861/

wow...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I watched this the other day! It is a documentary called Email Order Bride and basically men pick a woman they're interested in from profiles on a website, then they travel there to meet staying several weeks or months deciding if they want to marry or plan another visit to come back. The guy that was left waiting for hours was worried she had kept his thousands of dollars and wasn't going to show, but she ended up coming through the gate. They got married almost near the end of the 90 days. The other guy stayed in Russia for several weeks but decided not to marry the woman from the profile he picked. It was an interesting look into the International Marriage Broker process.

K-1 Timeline- 6 Month Process

2-26-14 NOA1

4-04-14 NOA2

6-13-14 Interview (221g Divorce Decree)

6-20-14 Document Sent

7-16-14 Email Request for Liquid Assets

7-23-14 Documents Sent

7-31-14 Case Creation Date changed

8-14-14 ISSUED!!

8-18-14 Visa in Hand

8-20-14 POE

10-11-14 Wedding

AOS & EAD Timeline

11-04-14 Express Mailed to Chicago

11-05-14 Delivered

11-07-14 NOA 1 via text

11-10-14 Check Cashed

11-13-14 Both NOA1's received in the mail

11-22-14 Biometrics letter received

12-03-14 Biometrics Appointment

01-15-15 EAD APPROVED!!!

02-23-15 Interview Waiver Letter Received

09-22-15 GC APPROVED!!!

09-26-15 GC IN HAND!

Bye USCIS until June 2017!

~Abby~

I saw this on netflix. one thing concerned me. A man was waiting for his woman to arrive at the airport and they showed standing there, they switched a different couple, going back to showing him waiting. Finally after 3 hours she came out. they said customs was asking her questions. What can they ask for so long, and why? K-1 is not where there would be so much suspicion.

They would ask any kind of visas holders when they suspect something. There are a lot people had been through the situation before. Most of times they would give hard time but eventually they will let the visa holders in.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I entered the US with my K-1 fiancee at Atlanta. Stayed with her the whole time and it took over 3 hours. When they finally got to her they only asked one or two questions. My observation was they were slow and very inefficient as well as under staffed. Just the way it is in some POEs some of the time.

A lot of people complained, but they said 3 to 4 hours were a normal processing time for ATL.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i dont have permission to edit my post. but this was a woman from RU, not Iran, or some place where they need to be concerned about a muslim coming here and... doing whatever. Just some RU woman coming to be with a man and get married.

There's plenty of people in the world who aren't Iranian or muslim who go places to do 'whatever'

I'm pretty sure the border check everyone entering the country, not just those demographics the public think of as terrorists or criminals.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Most of the time the wait has nothing to do which which country you are from. I am from the UK and came through on a CR1 visa. I had to wait in secondary for nearly two hours simply because there were so many people in the queue before me. And that was after an hour waiting to get to the first desk in the POE.

So my husband was waiting for at least three hours for me to come through. The actual questioning took 5 mins at the first desk, and about ten minutes at the second desk and about 2 mins for customs.

The rest of the time was just waiting in a queue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First time I have come across Email as opposed to Mail Order.

Does not seem unreasonable description. Google translate would be very useful.

I remember talking to someone whose Grandmother was a Mail Order Bride, came over in 1917, she died in the Flu Pandemic a few years later. That must have been much more scary.

I have not been stuck in Secondary for 3 hours, but it is quite interesting where you are close enough to see/hear some of the issues they have to deal with.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It wasn't clear from your post that this was the name of a show. I thought you just saw an immigration scene on it. My apologies.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I came on a K1, and was not sent to secondary. I know 3 other people from NZ who didn't either. So not all K1's are subject to it.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.