impel37

So close, yet so far. Looking for people on a spousal visa for advice

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I am looking to speak with US citizens that have married their spouse in order for them to live in the US. Preferably those that didn't have any other options and at a push in the 20-35 age range.

As of Monday myself and my girlfriend of almost three years have been forced in to a long distance relationship with at least a year (possibly two) before we can “break the distance”

We met during our final year of university at a Halloween party, I am a Brit and she is an American. She had been in the UK for three years prior as she did her entire degree here. From that party we have been in a committed relationship and inseparable ever since. However in order for us to be together it feels like we have to jump through hurdles all due to the passports we have.

Originally after graduating she wanted to stay in the UK on what was our graduate visa and get some work experience. Unfortunately that same year, three months before we graduated the UK government cancelled that visa route and made all non-EU students return to their home countries once their study visa expired. So after some long discussions we decided that a month after she left I’d come over to the States (NY) to join her and try find a job. At this point I’d done a little research on the visa but nothing to the extent of what I’d learn over the coming months. I was there for five months on a tourist visa (stayed for two, left, came back for three) to try find work whilst still supported by my parents.

It was extremely difficult and it put a huge strain on us both, at one point almost breaking us. It came clear that no one was going to sponsor a recent grad with barely any experience. It was at this point I learnt that I could do an internship (J1 visa) for a year and managed to find a small firm willing to sign for it.

So I came back to the UK to get my paperwork in order and that meant for this last year I have been living in the US with her. The company I originally started with turned out to be not what I expected and I managed to transfer to my dream company, who I originally wanted to work for in the first place. Everything was starting to fall in to place and it came to April when the proper work visa became available again (H1B), everything went according to plan, I got a job offer and all I had to do was wait…

Then it came to April 7th and I found out that 175k people had applied for only 65k visas. My application was put in to a lottery but my number was never drawn. After almost two years of hard work and finally getting so close to our goal the rug got pulled from under our feet and I had to pack up all of my belongings, have an emotional goodbye and get on a plane.

My job won't remain open for me as the company is ver fast paced so this means I will need to find another H1B sponsor and more than likely be subject to the cap, unless immigration reform is put through. I also just found out that I can't do another J1 (trainee) for two years as I just completed my J1 intern.

This leaves us with not many options and I'm trying to weigh up everything. Since we tried to do this the "proper" way (getting a job) and it hasn't worked then I'd like to consider marriage as an option. However she’s completely against and a big factor is her parents would not be pleased and she fears they would cut her off (they are financing her business).

I understand its not the best option but on paper it makes perfect sense. I'd like to hear from those of you that have gotten married in order to be together. More a long the lines of if it weren't for the visa would you have gotten married when you did? Did it put a strain on your relationship? What were the pro's and con's etc.

I'm not looking for advice on the spousal visa, I'm pretty clued up and have met with immigration attorneys I'm just interested in reading the dynamics of a couple to see if I can apply it to my own situation.

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Marriage for us was the first choice... We decided to be together becasue we loved each other and wanted to be together. Getting married soley for the a visa will not be a good move it is actualy fraud. If you two are not sure you want to be together for the long run I would say continue to look for other options.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have a very similar story, though didn't go through the H1B process. I am a US citizen, and I was working in the UK last year when we started dating. When I came back to the US in September, I had hopes of going back to the UK but then I decided that I wanted to be close to my family in the US. So we decided that he would come here on a fiance visa and we would get married. Don't get me wrong, we are very much in love and I think we would have gotten married anyway down the road, but probably not as quickly as we are planning to now. We applied for the K-1 visa back in February and are still waiting...it's a long, depressing and drawn out process but I know it will be worth it in the end. My parents are very supportive and have met my fiance several times, so I am not facing the risk of my family disowning me--which I can imagine is very stressful for your GF. If your girlfriend is completely against it, then I wouldn't pressure her otherwise. After all, it is still marriage in the end and you should be ultimately doing it for the right reasons.

Anyway, not sure if that helps. That's just my two cents. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Would we have gotten married as quickly as we did? Probably - a health scare is what prompted the conversation, and we're both in medicine, so we knew what needed to happen in order for us to have right of say over each other's health.

Was it really, really hard? Yes. If you guys don't handle stress well and it's already threatened to break you up once, it's not really the answer, especially if she doesn't want to get married. It's a long, drawn out, extremely stressful process, where everything under your life is subject to scrutiny if someone decides so for reasons that are often opaque and never explained.

And frankly, if she's perfectly against it, then it doesn't make sense. The UK is only a short plane ride from the East Coast of America, where it sounds like she lives. Learn to love frequent flier miles until another job happens, she gets back to the UK, or she changes her opinion on marriage. (Or one or both of you get tired of long distance and decide to go your separate ways.)

Timeline

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, it's great to read all of your stories and sorry for initially posting this in the wrong section. Just to clarify it's not that she doesn't want to get married down the line in the future, we often discuss it like couples do. However she just doesn't want to get married right now and not for the reason of obtaining a green card.

I don't know that her family would be against it or what the aftermath may be. Currently her dad is investing in her business so she fears she may lose his investment but I doubt they would completely disown her. The trouble is that I'm not a sure catch for them right now being that I was an intern and to them seems like I couldn't get a job, I don't know if they are aware of the cap or how difficult navigating the US immigration system is.

I understand that it is classed as fraud to marry for immigration benefits but I feel as though a marriage right now is more of a way to keep us together. I mean we have been together for three years, lived in each others countries, have been on numerous vacations and have thousands of pictures of us together (including with both our families). I do know if legitimate couples that have been forced in to this route and it worked out for them. It isn't fraudulent in the sense that we aren't a legitimate couple.

If you're not ready to get married then don't get married. There is no pretend marriage just to be together, it is all very real and will be very real. You really will be married.

If you are ready, then go ahead.

If you are not sure, then wait a while and you will soon have your answer.

Look into getting a job in the UK at a multinational that could transfer you to the US. Those visas (L1) are not capped and you can get them fast.

I think if you got a H1B job and then they just didn't file it in time then you are doing pretty well.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, it's great to read all of your stories and sorry for initially posting this in the wrong section. Just to clarify it's not that she doesn't want to get married down the line in the future, we often discuss it like couples do. However she just doesn't want to get married right now and not for the reason of obtaining a green card.

I don't know that her family would be against it or what the aftermath may be. Currently her dad is investing in her business so she fears she may lose his investment but I doubt they would completely disown her. The trouble is that I'm not a sure catch for them right now being that I was an intern and to them seems like I couldn't get a job, I don't know if they are aware of the cap or how difficult navigating the US immigration system is.

I understand that it is classed as fraud to marry for immigration benefits but I feel as though a marriage right now is more of a way to keep us together. I mean we have been together for three years, lived in each others countries, have been on numerous vacations and have thousands of pictures of us together (including with both our families). I do know if legitimate couples that have been forced in to this route and it worked out for them. It isn't fraudulent in the sense that we aren't a legitimate couple.

If she needs time to ease her parents into the idea, you can apply for the fiancé visa right now. When it is granted, you have around 5 months before you have to enter the US. (Six months from the date of your medical exam). Then you have to marry within 90 days of your entry. You can drag that out quite a bit (over a year) until she feels confident in the marriage. At least that way, you are in the process line while she works on Mum and Dad.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Well there is a huge life difference between 20 and 35... At 20 or so, parental approval would play a more major part... At 35 who gives a hoot? Time to step it up..

Sometimes immigration speeds up the inevitable... That is... If you two feel that getti g married is a forgone conclusion and the only sticking point if when... Then go for it... But if ur not at that point and have doubt not about whe. To marry but IF to marry... Then slow ur roll at bit... Imho

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Hi all,

I am looking to speak with US citizens that have married their spouse in order for them to live in the US. Preferably those that didn't have any other options and at a push in the 20-35 age range.

As of Monday myself and my girlfriend of almost three years have been forced in to a long distance relationship with at least a year (possibly two) before we can break the distance

We met during our final year of university at a Halloween party, I am a Brit and she is an American. She had been in the UK for three years prior as she did her entire degree here. From that party we have been in a committed relationship and inseparable ever since. However in order for us to be together it feels like we have to jump through hurdles all due to the passports we have.

Originally after graduating she wanted to stay in the UK on what was our graduate visa and get some work experience. Unfortunately that same year, three months before we graduated the UK government cancelled that visa route and made all non-EU students return to their home countries once their study visa expired. So after some long discussions we decided that a month after she left Id come over to the States (NY) to join her and try find a job. At this point Id done a little research on the visa but nothing to the extent of what Id learn over the coming months. I was there for five months on a tourist visa (stayed for two, left, came back for three) to try find work whilst still supported by my parents.

It was extremely difficult and it put a huge strain on us both, at one point almost breaking us. It came clear that no one was going to sponsor a recent grad with barely any experience. It was at this point I learnt that I could do an internship (J1 visa) for a year and managed to find a small firm willing to sign for it.

So I came back to the UK to get my paperwork in order and that meant for this last year I have been living in the US with her. The company I originally started with turned out to be not what I expected and I managed to transfer to my dream company, who I originally wanted to work for in the first place. Everything was starting to fall in to place and it came to April when the proper work visa became available again (H1B), everything went according to plan, I got a job offer and all I had to do was wait

Then it came to April 7th and I found out that 175k people had applied for only 65k visas. My application was put in to a lottery but my number was never drawn. After almost two years of hard work and finally getting so close to our goal the rug got pulled from under our feet and I had to pack up all of my belongings, have an emotional goodbye and get on a plane.

My job won't remain open for me as the company is ver fast paced so this means I will need to find another H1B sponsor and more than likely be subject to the cap, unless immigration reform is put through. I also just found out that I can't do another J1 (trainee) for two years as I just completed my J1 intern.

This leaves us with not many options and I'm trying to weigh up everything. Since we tried to do this the "proper" way (getting a job) and it hasn't worked then I'd like to consider marriage as an option. However shes completely against and a big factor is her parents would not be pleased and she fears they would cut her off (they are financing her business).

I understand its not the best option but on paper it makes perfect sense. I'd like to hear from those of you that have gotten married in order to be together. More a long the lines of if it weren't for the visa would you have gotten married when you did? Did it put a strain on your relationship? What were the pro's and con's etc.

I'm not looking for advice on the spousal visa, I'm pretty clued up and have met with immigration attorneys I'm just interested in reading the dynamics of a couple to see if I can apply it to my own situation.

Thanks.

I don't have experience in a spousal visa. I'd just like to observe that from your story it looks like you are giving it your all, jumping through all the hoops and doing all you can think of, while your girlfriend...doesn't want to upset mommy and daddy but doesn't appear to be doing much else?

Edit: having now read further to post 6 I am even less enchanted. You're not a "sure catch" because you've just been an intern? It's not like you've been out of uni all that long. Apparently getting daddy to bankroll you is better than working your way up, or what? Sheesh...

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

I don't have experience in a spousal visa. I'd just like to observe that from your story it looks like you are giving it your all, jumping through all the hoops and doing all you can think of, while your girlfriend...doesn't want to upset mommy and daddy but doesn't appear to be doing much else?

Edit: having now read further to post 6 I am even less enchanted. You're not a "sure catch" because you've just been an intern? It's not like you've been out of uni all that long. Apparently getting daddy to bankroll you is better than working your way up, or what? Sheesh...

To your first point, yes I have questioned what I have put in to our relationship in terms of moving and putting myself through the stress of obtaining a work visa to what sacrifices she has made. All I know is I love her and am happy with her, she does do a lot for me and is there to support me - however I do feel she could be more open minded about marriage.

To the second point I'm not totally sure as to what her exact reasons behind not getting married in order for me to stay are, I just know that as of right now its a no. In all honesty there hasn't been a discussion with her parents about it so I don't know what their say on the matter is. I just gage it won't be that positive.

I think its going to have to come from her though for us to start entertaining the idea of getting me a green card. We'll how the absence makes her feel and what seeing each other will be like in the next few months.

Right now I need to focus on getting some sort of life/normality here.

I have known my future Brit husband for around ten years, and have been engaged to him since 2009. We're both approaching 30 now. That is a pretty long time for a long distance relationship, and there was never any doubt in my mind that this is the man I will marry. My family is accepting of him and treat him like a son. We had to make some tough choices, such as which country should we apply in? There were never really any other options when it comes to being in love and wanting to be together... caring for my elderly mother, and the new rules in the UK have pretty much decided for us where we are applying. But I can tell you, even if my family didn't approve of him, wouldn't matter to me in the slightest. It's our life, and our choice. In reading what you have said about your relationship case, I have to make the following observations, and I say this in kindness. If the only way you feel you can keep the relationship together is by marrying (that is you don't feel it is strong enough without it) there may be a problem. Yes, there have been sometimes ourselves when we've felt frustrated at being apart, if not a little hopeless at the hoops to jump through -- but if being together is what the *both* of you want (and it has to be *both* of you) then marriage is typically what it leads to. International couples don't have the luxury of staying together in the same country without marriage in most cases. And yes, marriage is serious. If she is not ready or wanting marriage at this time, you have many questions to ask yourself. Is, at your age, her father's approval and financial support more meaningful than what has to be done to be together? If the reason to marry is not actually for love at this time and is a great importance placed on the father's feelings, then neither party is ready. And this would really be the same case, even if you were the guy next door. When will you be the right ''catch'' you know? I would encourage reflection and waiting at this time. The job market is difficult in the UK in some parts, I'd suggest focusing on maintaining one at the moment, saving as much as you can -- perhaps you can find somewhere able to offer a transfer... and even if not you're making yourself just a bit more secure. You can only do so much, and it sounds as if you've done a lot.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

My wife came over on a spousal visa. At first we tried to get her a visitor visa. That got denied real quick. So we decided we wanted to be together, and wanted to make sure no one could ever keep us apart again, and we decided right then and there to do whatever we had to do to marry, and move forward, step by step, to be together, forever, so that no one could ever keep us apart again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As I have said many times, unless extreme circumstances, why an I-130 over a K-1? K-1 is less than 1/2 the time, and AOS is a breeze, and you are both together going thru the process. I-130 can be up to 12-16 months, sometimes quicker, but more like the first number.

Do a K-1, have your documentation ready..,,..and AOS is a "walk in the park".,.,.,yeh, I know you cannot work.,.,my wife had her EAD/AP in 81 days, .,.,.,if you have to work sooner than that, then maybe, the immigration should not have occured in the first place.,.,.,,

Sounds like a bunch of drama. If you want to be together, you get married so you can. Obviously she doesn't rate that as a priority, so end this relationship and find someone who rates you as a top priority. Simples.

Hi all,

As of Monday myself and my girlfriend of almost three years have been forced in to a long distance relationship with at least a year (possibly two) before we can “break the distance”

Originally after graduating she wanted to stay in the UK on what was our graduate visa and get some work experience. Unfortunately that same year, three months before we graduated the UK government cancelled that visa route and made all non-EU students return to their home countries once their study visa expired. So after some long discussions we decided that a month after she left I’d come over to the States (NY) to join her and try find a job. At this point I’d done a little research on the visa but nothing to the extent of what I’d learn over the coming months. I was there for five months on a tourist visa (stayed for two, left, came back for three) to try find work whilst still supported by my parents.

So I came back to the UK to get my paperwork in order and that meant for this last year I have been living in the US with her. The company I originally started with turned out to be not what I expected and I managed to transfer to my dream company, who I originally wanted to work for in the first place. Everything was starting to fall in to place and it came to April when the proper work visa became available again (H1B), everything went according to plan, I got a job offer and all I had to do was wait…

This leaves us with not many options and I'm trying to weigh up everything. Since we tried to do this the "proper" way (getting a job) and it hasn't worked then I'd like to consider marriage as an option. However she’s completely against and a big factor is her parents would not be pleased and she fears they would cut her off (they are financing her business).

Thanks.

Met in Ormoc, Leyte, Philippines: 2007-05-17
Our son was born in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-04-01
Married in Borongan, Eastern Samar, Philippines: 2009-10-24
CR-1 Visa - California Service Center; Consulate - Manila, Philippines
I-130 mailed: 2010-04-13
I-130 NOA1: 2010-04-24
I-130 NOA2: 2010-09-30
NVC received case: 2010-10-14
Case Complete: 2010-12-01
Interview scheduled: 2010-12-06
Medical, St. Luke's, Manila: 2010-12-09 and 2010-12-10
Interview at US Embassy in Manila 8:30 AM: 2011-01-05 - Approved!
Visa delivered: 2011-01-08
CFO Seminar completed: 2011-01-10
My beloved wife Sol and my beautiful son Nathan arrive in the U.S. (POE San Francisco): 2011-01-26
Lifting Conditions - Vermont Service Center
Date mailed: 2012-11-01
Receipt date: 2012-11-05
NOA received: 2012-11-09
Biometrics letter received: 2012-11-16
Biometrics appointment date: 2012-12-10
Biometrics walk-in successful: 2012-11-20
Removal of Conditions approved date: 2013-04-27
10 year green card mailed: 2013-05-03
10 year green card received: 2013-05-06
Citizenship
N400 mailed: 2013-10-28
N400 delivered: 2013-10-31
NOA1: 2013-11-04
Biometrics: 2013-11-18
In Line: 2013-12-26
Interview scheduled: 2013-12-30
Interview: 2014-02-03

Oath ceremony queue: 2014-02-07

Oath ceremony: 2014-03-28 Sol is a U.S. citizen

Applied for expedited passport: 2014-04-01

Passport received, Priority Express: 2014-04-09 This is journey's end at last!

Naturalization certificate returned, Priority Mail: 2014-04-12

Passport card received, First Class: 2014-04-14

1457 days, I-130 mailed to passport in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.