w0ndering

Where can I find details on the entire process

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I saw something with some written out but not with details.

for example. you file. and i dont even know what you file....

then you complete an I-129F. (do you do two or one for woman and child) you send this in. it requires $XXX. you are sent a notice they recieved it. then you get notice for xyz...

is there anything with ALL the details?

Paul

Timeline

I did talk to a lawyer but the cost is insane, but then if it isn't written out what to do. I would do this. I read simplest mistakes can be many months to correct, and time to do this is already waaaaaay too long. I really dont konw what they do for so much time. I think before 9/11 it was a 3 month process. so now with the name checks its another 6 months? I can't believe running a query takes that long.

her costs are as follows:

The fling fee is $340. I would charge $1200 for the Petition and $500 for an affidavit of support and consular forms.

i did look at that. it does not have details as I mentioned. it does not say when you file what. where you file... etc etc

Did you check out the guide for K1?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

It is somewhat extensive and pretty much has most of the stuff you have to know about the process of filing a petition for a foreign fiancé domiciled abroad (outside the US). I am assuming that since you noted "K1" in your id that this is what you mean to file, or am I wrong?

Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist heir die Frage.

If you click the guides section up top, you find stuff like this:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

and

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

yes a K1 visa. I have seen that link yes. I have not seen where someone wrote out the process. not a list. As I indicated. I want to know what to expect... not just a list. i send this, they do what. then they do what.

again, not just a list of things i need. Am i not saying this correctly?

the cost for the lawyer is obscene but seems to be a necessary evil since i am certainly not confident in doing this what information I can find.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

one thing I've found

is that if you study the Guide and Flowchart

from a PC

then it's so much easier.

If'n yer using a handphone to check in here - please turn it off. Come back on a PC.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

wondering if you want to know what to expect, there are hundreds and hundreds of people on here and many sections that you can go and read to find what to expect

a lawyer wanted to charge us $3000, we have followed steps on here so far without a lawyer and are doing fine, sometimes getting stuck chuck up a post and you will find people very helpful, you can also have a look on other websites for expectations, experiences, etc...it does take some time to read about the expectations and everyone does seem to have a different "journey", good luck whatever you decide........

cheers

Timeline

i have a quite an usual situation. first I'm on disability and will require a co sponsor... need i say more. so I am just really uncomfortable that any of my situation will cause problems. if you say 3000 then i guess the woman that quoted me just over 2000 is not so bad then :rolleyes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The VJ guide is more than just a list, and the flowchart does explain the process and tries to give an estimated timeline of when each step happens. There is also this link from the Dept of State > http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html

And the USCIS site for the I-129F that has the instructions, fee and mailing address > http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Needing to use a co-sponsor does not make your case complicated. Many people need to use co-sponsors, and have successfully. No lawyer needed for that.

It would be easier for you to take it one step at a time. The I-129F petition is first. So, follow the instructions and guide for it. Ask specific questions here about it if you get stuck on something. While waiting, research what will be needed from you and the foreign fiance(e) at the consulate they will apply for the K-1 visa at. When the I-129F is approved, then get all the required documents together for that step. After the K-1 visa is approved and you marry in the US after 90 days of their entry to the US via the K-1, then they will need to file for adjustment of status. Again, follow the AOS guide here on VJ and read the instructions for each form. Ask questions if you get stuck on something.

If you research a bit and read through the guides and form instructions and still feel like you cannot manage to fill out and file the forms all your own, then find a decent immigration attorney to assist you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

i am looking at lawyer options. I just am not comfortable with this. the simplest mistake adds months to this ridiculouly long process.

There's a lot more you need to do with the USCIS after immigration to the US. Read the Guides for more than the K-1.

It's really easy, especially if you Read the Guides and follow the Example Forms.....however if it is too daunting for you, then you will incur a lot of legal bills beyond the K-1.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

i have a quite an usual situation. first I'm on disability and will require a co sponsor... need i say more. so I am just really uncomfortable that any of my situation will cause problems. if you say 3000 then i guess the woman that quoted me just over 2000 is not so bad then :rolleyes:

I was on disability when I applied. I did it 100% on my own, sent the petition, got approved and got all the way to the NVC before discovering visa journey. I didn't have one single problem or delay. Just because you're on disability doesn't mean you need a joint sponsor as long as you meet the income requirements, and if you need a joint sponsor you still don't need a lawyer. Seriously, read the guides and study them. There is no reason you need a lawyer or someone to spell everything out for you if you follow the guides, they are very detailed and accurate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I tried to edit my previous post and couldn't, so here is my edit:

I was on disability when I applied. I did it 100% on my own, sent the petition, got approved and got all the way to the NVC before discovering visa journey. I didn't have one single problem or delay. We also had several other so-called red flags. Just because you're on disability doesn't mean you need a joint sponsor as long as you meet the income requirements, and if you need a joint sponsor you still don't need a lawyer. Seriously, read the guides and study them. There is no reason you need a lawyer or someone to spell everything out for you if you follow the guides, they are very detailed and accurate. Our case was far from straightforward and we came through with flying colors. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Take the time to navigate this site on a computer - the guides, Wiki and FAQs are very informative, and when you have questions you can always post them in the appropriate forums.

Also, if you are more comfortable with information given in the form of a book, I personally found Ilona M Bray's "Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration" quite complete and handy.

Good luck.

- I am the beneficiary -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.