DelmondoLove

Our marriage date in Washington DC was cancelled due to weather

37 posts in this topic

Hi

Our marriage was scheduled for today but the courthouse is closed due to bad weather. The marriage licence application was done on February 5th, will they pay attention to this date when we apply for AOS? My 90 days is up on March 28th so we are running out of time. We can't call them now. If we can't reschedule our marriage before March 28th what are our options since Im going to be out of status?

8wodm5.png

So long your married within 90 days there's no problem. There's no timeline when to file the aos. The sooner you do it the sooner you have your ead and ap.

In the meantime your just out of status. You can't work our come in the country again when you leave.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

I think the marriage still has to happen before your end date (March 28.) I'm sure you will have no problem rescheduling it in a few days, at least for a civil celebrant type ceremony (in the event that your previous plans cannot be so easily moved.) You can get a list of licensed celebrants in this area, one of which I'm sure would be able to accommodate you in time.

If you want, I can find my list (it's on my hard drive somewhere) and send you some people in the Fairfax area...

bob - that would be great. Except - we do not have the $ to pay for all of that. We have looked into those services, which cost around $400. In getting married at the courthouse -all we have to do is pay for gas to get there( which is over 5 hours away) and for the marriage license we already paid for and obtained. Feel free to provide the list.

8wodm5.png

The date you applied for the marriage license does not even matter. The date that matters is the day you are actually legally married. If you are not married before March 28, you will not be able to adjust status through your K-1 visa. You will have to return home and file for a spousal visa.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

The date you applied for the marriage license does not even matter. The date that matters is the day you are actually legally married. If you are not married before March 28, you will not be able to adjust status through your K-1 visa. You will have to return home and file for a spousal visa.

Agree with what you said except I don't think that the foreign fiance has to return to their native country to file for a spousal visa if they marry after the 90 days. They can stay in the US and send in the I-130 along with the I-485 instead - basically, adjusting as an out-of-status spouse of a USC (overstay will be forgiven).

The problem is if they need to leave the US before AP/GC is received, then they'd need to start over with a spousal visa from abroad.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

bob - that would be great. Except - we do not have the $ to pay for all of that. We have looked into those services, which cost around $400. In getting married at the courthouse -all we have to do is pay for gas to get there( which is over 5 hours away) and for the marriage license we already paid for and obtained. Feel free to provide the list.

Why are you getting married 5 hours away? Your profile indicates you're in North Carolina. Surely the local courthouse can accommodate you. If all else fails, fly to Vegas on the credit card and get married by Elvis. It'll be cheaper than the alternative....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the OP does not get married before March 28th and they do get married after March 28. The fiancee has to leave and apply for a new visa. They will not be allowed to file i-130 while the spouse is in the country. The K1 is very specific that you have to be married with the 90 day period and it does not allow for aos if you go past that date.

If the OP does not get married before March 28th and they do get married after March 28. The fiancee has to leave and apply for a new visa. They will not be allowed to file i-130 while the spouse is in the country. The K1 is very specific that you have to be married with the 90 day period and it does not allow for aos if you go past that date.

I believe this is wrong. Foreign fiance overstay is forgiven upon marriage to US spouse even if marriage occurrs after the 28th. (Why are people always scaring people unecessarily by providing false or incorrect information?)

However, I would just get married before the 28th, problem solved. I would be very surprised if the courthouse you are going to would not make special accomodations for you since they were closed due to weather. Talk real nice and I bet they get you in right away.

Good luck and God Bless

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

And if you can't reschedule, you can always drive to Georgia. Marriage license application and ceremony can be done the same day smile.png

Same sex marriage is not an option in Georgia... It is not even recognized! To the OP, I agree to try to sweet talk them and explain the K1 situation... Otherwise, maybe look into New Jersey requirements as that might be within reason. But try to get it done before the 28th... Good luck

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Here's a link to the list kept by Fairfax county

I can vouch for Georgiana Havill who was great - I don't recall what we paid, but it was certainly under $400.

Also, if you notice there in the form, celebrants are allowed (by Virginia law) to charge up to $50 for the ceremony and 56 cents per mile travel. You can, I am sure, tip also...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ummm how can you file same sex, if where you live it is illegal. Your AOS will not be approved, regardless of where you get married, it is where you live that makes the marriage legal. Regardless of whether you get married within the 90 days, is it legal?

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.