20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My friend brought her now husband here under a k1 visa, he arrived around 8/2013, his I-94 expired 11/4/2013... and the visa expired jan/2014...she and him got married the same month he arrived...but because of money issues they did not do the AOS yet....He had an emergency back home and left the country. Im telling my friend I dont think her husband can come back easily. Please what are his options now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

File for a spousal visa. The K-1 is a single entry visa and he has already had his one entry. The good news is that with the CR-1 he will have his green card (by way of stamp) when he enters the US and can begin working as soon as he gets his social security card. The actual green card will come by mail a month or so after he arrives.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Belinda is correct, she needs to file for a spousal visa. The process takes about a year.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

File for a spousal visa. The K-1 is a single entry visa and he has already had his one entry. The good news is that with the CR-1 he will have his green card (by way of stamp) when he enters the US and can begin working as soon as he gets his social security card. The actual green card will come by mail a month or so after he arrives.

Thank you for your response, but he has his social security card already and he even has a bank account....so they can't just pay a fine and get the visa reissued or something?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A SSN & bank account do not give immigration status. They must start over with a CR-1 application, and pay the associated fees. (expect to wait about a year)

Also the K-1 visa expired on arrival 8-20. He has been out of status since the I-94 expired 11-4. Depending on when he actually left, he may have accumulated more then 90 days of overstay which will need to be stated on the Visa application.

Edited by slowlyman

Timeline

A SSN & bank account do not give immigration status. They must start over with a CR-1 application, and pay the associated fees. (expect to wait about a year)

Also the K-1 visa expired on arrival 8-20. He has been out of status since the I-94 expired 11-4. Depending on when he actually left, he may have accumulated more then 90 days of overstay which will need to be stated on the Visa application.

He just left the country on 2/20/2014....Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

They must file an I130 and apply for the CR1 visa... He no longer holds a valid visa for entry and a k1 is a 1 time use only.. Once activated, that's it... Sorry, they have to start over...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

I guess I'm a little confused. How was he able to find money to fly back home but not file to adjust status? Adjusting status should be his number one priority because of this exact situation. Unfortunately, he will have to start all over again with the immigration process.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

I don't think he accumulated overstay because after you get married you then enter into a period of authorized stay sanctioned by the attorney general. But yes, your friend still must file a CR-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I don't think he accumulated overstay because after you get married you then enter into a period of authorized stay sanctioned by the attorney general. But yes, your friend still must file a CR-1

wrong, they never filed aos so this is not true.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

90 days is irrelevant, 180 is another issue but does not apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.