23 posts in this topic

My step mom has been threatening me to withdraw my adjustment of status. Its been 4 months since they sent the application. My dad and her fight a lot and she blackmails me that shes going to withdraw my application if my dad still wont listen to her. Can she possibly do that? My dad had his green card already last year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sure. but not via 'withdraw the I-485'.

Instead, if she withdrew the I-864, affadavit of support, on the Adjustment of Status case,

then there is no further road to obtaining a greencard .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Only YOU can withdraw YOUR I-485 adjustment of status. However, a sponsor can withdraw their I-864 affidavit of support. If its the primary sponsor, it would cancel the I-485. If its a joint sponsor, which sounds like your case since you arrived on a K-1 visa, then it would not have a huge effect...you just may have to find another joint sponsor.

Basically, your step mom can't really do anything to stop your AOS...even withdrawing her joint sponsorship of the I-864. She is not your primary sponsor, your spouse is.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

OP is a K-2? K-1 ? I swing towards K-2.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Only YOU can withdraw YOUR I-485 adjustment of status. However, a sponsor can withdraw their I-864 affidavit of support. If its the primary sponsor, it would cancel the I-485. If its a joint sponsor, which sounds like your case since you arrived on a K-1 visa, then it would not have a huge effect...you just may have to find another joint sponsor.

Basically, your step mom can't really do anything to stop your AOS...even withdrawing her joint sponsorship of the I-864. She is not your primary sponsor, your spouse is.

Even if stepmom was the JS, how would te AOS move forward without a qualified I-864?

Think you got the situation wrong. Where are you getting a spouse?

Even if stepmom was the JS, how would te AOS move forward without a qualified I-864?

Think you got the situation wrong. Where are you getting a spouse?

The qualifying I-864 would come from the primary sponsor. If the primary sponsor's I-864 isn't sufficient, in which case a joint sponsor would be needed, then another joint sponsor could be found if the current one withdraws.

The reason I thought spouse was because the OP has filed for a K-1 visa, so assuming the AOS was based on marriage under a K-1.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

02/11/2021 -- Interview

I came here in a k2 visa and my step mom is horrible. I cannot believe im experiencing this life when i moved here from the philippines. I just wanna go back :((((

Ok thanks for clarifying. So it looks like your stepmom is your primary sponsor. She can withdraw her I-864 and it would pretty much stop your AOS.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

02/11/2021 -- Interview

I came here in a k2 visa and my step mom is horrible. I cannot believe im experiencing this life when i moved here from the philippines. I just wanna go back sad.png(((

How old are you?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This sounds like a clear and unequivocal pattern of abuse that fits neatly into VAWA (Violence Against Woman Act)

Typical VAWA Scenario

1 Noncitizen marries USC or LPR

2. USC or LPR abuses her or her/their child

3 Abuser refuses to file petition, or threatens to withdraw petition, divorce her, or not attend the green card interview.

4. Abuse spouse/child feels trapped

5. Then learns of the rights and files VAWA petition

6. VAWA approved and Deferred Action gronted with work permit and low risk of deportation.

7. Abused spouse/child eventually becomes LPR with no reliance on abuser.

See: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.illinoislegaladvocate.org%2Fcalendaruploads%2Fvawa.pai.3-31-05.ppt&ei=AVQOU7bgJuqe2QWLvYGwCA&usg=AFQjCNFPRctvY6fxXQ_lOpwaiA84L8MEOA&sig2=PLbRjAevcFuaIthpMXAQYQ&bvm=bv.61965928,d.b2I Note: No copyright on document.

Also see: http://www.womenslawproject.org/brochures/DV_Immigration.pdf

Withdrawing or threatening to withdraw a petition to legalize your immigration status.”

I suggest that you call, and be careful how you do it, a local woman's protective service and ask for assistance. Virtually every city, even small ones have Women's Protective Services.

Document carefully when it happens, keep notes. If VAWA action is filed you stand an excellent chance of being granted special status. We don't know your age, if you are under 18, I'm not sure exactly what would happen, again a Women's protective service can help. (Note: The abused does not need to be a woman).

Edited by yailukmuu

This sounds like a clear and unequivocal pattern of abuse that fits neatly into VAWA (Violence Against Woman Act)

Typical VAWA Scenario

3 Abuser refuses to file petition, or threatens to withdraw petition, divorce her, or not attend the green card interview.

6. VAWA approved and Deferred Action gronted with work permit and low risk of deportation.

See: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.illinoislegaladvocate.org%2Fcalendaruploads%2Fvawa.pai.3-31-05.ppt&ei=AVQOU7bgJuqe2QWLvYGwCA&usg=AFQjCNFPRctvY6fxXQ_lOpwaiA84L8MEOA&sig2=PLbRjAevcFuaIthpMXAQYQ&bvm=bv.61965928,d.b2I Note: No copyright on document.

Withdrawing or threatening to withdraw a petition to legalize your immigration status.

I suggest that you call, and be careful how you do it, a local woman's protective service and ask for assistance. Virtually every city, even small ones have Women's Protective Services.

Document carefully when it happens, keep notes. If VAWA action is filed you stand an excellent chance of being granted special status. We don't know your age, if you are under 18, I'm not sure exactly what would happen, again a Women's protective service can help. (Note: The abused does not need to be a woman).

I am emotionally exhausted. Please. Text me. I need help.

Typical VAWA Scenario

Withdrawing or threatening to withdraw a petition to legalize your immigration status.

Im 18. Im emotionally exhausted. Please help. Text me

My step mom has been threatening me to withdraw my adjustment of status. Its been 4 months since they sent the application. My dad and her fight a lot and she blackmails me that shes going to withdraw my application if my dad still wont listen to her. Can she possibly do that? My dad had his green card already last year.

You post does not make sense here.

In your other topic, you are asking

Divorce while on conditional green card? Help

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/470263-divorce-while-on-conditional-green-card-help/#entry6699179

So you already have the conditional green card???? Why your step mom is filing Adjustment of status for you??

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

huh? what? did you even read the post? There is no spouse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.