JimVaPhuong

Any old timers still around?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who just stopped posting here. You new guys probably think us old timers stop posting when our marriages go sour. Not in my case. Still happily married to Phuong! Just not dealing with immigration much these days, now that Phuong and the kids have their unconditional green cards. I still come back occasionally when I get a PM notice, and lurk a little bit.

Anybody else who was around when there was no such thing as an "I-821D"? Anybody else around who remembers eating at "The Big Grill" in Saigon? Does DQ still troll this forum? C'mon! What's the gossip? tongue.png

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

its funny i was just thinking the same thing....smiles. i spy here every week or so but rarely post. still with mine. he has been here since june 2013. been hard times in the adjustment period but still going strong......

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey Jim,

I still occasionally lurk the forum. My wife received her citizenship in Jan 13. The journey is pretty much over for us. I come on sometime to see what the HCM consulate is up to. Is the Big Grill still around? I thought Ralph closed it

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

11/07/08 ............Married

02/13/09 ............I-130 sent

02/16/09 ............I-130 delivered

02/23/09.............NOA1

02/24/09.............Touched

02/28/09............ NOA1 Hard Copy

03/25/09.............NOA2

03/30/09.............NOA2 Hard Copy

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

04/17/09.............DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

04/17/09.............DS-3032 sent (email+mail)

04/17/09.............AOS PAID (online)

04/20/09.............AOS package sent

04/20/09.............DS-3032 accepted

04/22/09.............IV Fee bill generated

04/22/09.............IV bill PAID (online)

04/27/09.............DS-230 sent to NVC

04/30/09.............Case under Final Review

05/07/09.............RFE (Ques 20 DS-230)

05/09/09.............Resend DS-230

05/13/09.............DS-230 Received and Under Review

05/20/09.............Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

06-08-09.............Case Arrived at Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

06-22-09.............Medical Exam

07-29-09.............Visa Interview

07-29-09.............Visa Approved

08-05-09.............Visa in Hand

08-24-09.............POE - (San Francisco, California)

09-04-09.............Green Card Arrived in Mail

12-04-09.............SSN Card Arrived in Mail

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I remember u posting back in the day... although we were IR1 and not Vietnam... I got back into posting when the hubby was going through citizenship last year and I was helping a few crew members with their immigration packages... I been laid up and need another hip revision surgery so I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.. It keeps me occupied... Glad to hear ur doing good. So few come back to post when things are going good!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

hey jim,

first time i've popped back in a while. my wife is filing for ROC, not sure if 2011 is an old-timer hehe. we just had our 2nd child in december. i wonder how the other people are doing?

Edited by quann

K-1, CRBA, AOS, GC

Timeline

Hi! I'm not sure if signing up in 2011 makes me an old timer but things are going great and happily married.

My wife is working and going to school. I submitted ROC in December 2013, Bio done, and now just waiting.

Good hearing from the old-timers!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hey Jim,

Good to hear that all is well with you and your family. Congrats on family's successful ROC. There are a couple of folks that I haven't seen posting in awhile and you were one of them. Your immigration acumen certainly helped me navigate my wife and stepson's K1 and K-2 visas through the AOS phase. Xie xie.

We are currently enjoying our 21-month post-AOS vacation from USCIS. Our ROC window is fast approaching.

Take care and happy trails...... :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good to hear from you Jim,

and to answer one of your questions - one post by a newly created (I suppose in your honour) duplicate troll account of the still persistent DQ has been removed and that account permanently banned. tongue.png

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Is the Big Grill still around? I thought Ralph closed it

Yeah, he and Hanh closed the restaurant because she eventually did get her IR1 visa. They lived on the east coast for a while, but now they've moved over here to the west coast so that she can be near her family in the US. They're both living in San Jose. We see them occasionally. They came to a barbecue at our house last summer. A few weeks later we went to a club to see Ralph's band perform. I went to Anaheim for a big music merchants conference last month. Ralph and Hanh just happened to be going to SoCal at the same time for a holiday - Disneyland and Little Saigon. Typical holiday for a couple that includes a Viet Kieu. Phuong and I met up with them and celebrated Ralph's birthday at a Japanese buffet in Long Beach. It was lots of fun!

Your immigration acumen certainly helped me navigate my wife and stepson's K1 and K-2 visas through the AOS phase. Xie xie.

I'm glad if I was able to help! My "acumen" is a little rusty these days as I haven't read the law or new policies in quite a while. I've been buried in other projects. Still, I'm reminded that I haven't forgotten everything when I see idiotic shows like "90 Day Fiancee". It doesn't make it any easier for K1's in the real world to overcome the mail order bride syndrome with ridiculous shows like that giving people the impression that guys are picking brides from a lineup and then have 90 days to decide whether or not to go through with the wedding. huh.png

Good to hear from you Jim,

and to answer one of your questions - one post by a newly created (I suppose in your honour) duplicate troll account of the still persistent DQ has been removed and that account permanently banned. tongue.png

Hah! I guess I should feel honored that I attracted his attention!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm glad if I was able to help! My "acumen" is a little rusty these days as I haven't read the law or new policies in quite a while. I've been buried in other projects. Still, I'm reminded that I haven't forgotten everything when I see idiotic shows like "90 Day Fiancee". It doesn't make it any easier for K1's in the real world to overcome the mail order bride syndrome with ridiculous shows like that giving people the impression that guys are picking brides from a lineup and then have 90 days to decide whether or not to go through with the wedding. huh.png

There's a show called that!?! I don't have cable TV for this very reason! I have had some people ask me after my trip, "So when is your mail order bride coming here?" That really rubs me the wrong way. People are so ignorant. dry.png

On a brighter note, I just want to say I appreciate the old timers sharing their stories and advice for us newbies. biggrin.png

Timeline

Howdy Jim. Great to see you ae doing well. Samo here with me. I pop in now and again but usually post in OT or Politics as usual. Hope all stays well.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who just stopped posting here. You new guys probably think us old timers stop posting when our marriages go sour. Not in my case. Still happily married to Phuong! Just not dealing with immigration much these days, now that Phuong and the kids have their unconditional green cards. I still come back occasionally when I get a PM notice, and lurk a little bit.

Anybody else who was around when there was no such thing as an "I-821D"? Anybody else around who remembers eating at "The Big Grill" in Saigon? Does DQ still troll this forum? C'mon! What's the gossip? tongue.png

Filed: Timeline

Hi Jim

I refer back to your old postings for information on a regular basis. Glad to hear you are well, and thank you for sharing all you learned.

JF

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Jim, you're missed here more than words can describe.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

That show is such drivel. I watched the first episode out of pure curiosity, and I can see why that stuff killed the cat. That show greatly annoyed me. It was so bad I could not imagine sitting through more than the one show I saw.

I miss seeing your accurate, informative posts around here. Yours were some of the few that I knew I could count on for the correct info when my husband and I were dealing with getting him the K-1.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.