JimVaPhuong

Any old timers still around?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Jim,

Old-timer here who joined in 2007, although I never posted much. My wife and I (and now two kids) are still going strong, and she just applied for citizenship. (She was eligible a couple of years ago under the 3-year rule for spouses of U.S. citizens, but we had a lot going on with the kids and decided to take a break from immigration, so now she just applied under the 5-year rule.)

I also wonder what happened to my VSC I-130 class from 2008. I always remembered you for your many helpful posts and unsurpassed immigration knowledge.

11/30/07: Married in Mexico

I-130 Timeline
01/12/08: I-130 sent to VSC
02/11/08: NOA1
10/14/08: NOA2
11/18/08: Case complete at NVC
02/04/09: Interview--CR1 visa granted!
02/05/09: POE in El Paso, TX

Removal of Conditions Timeline
01/08/11: I-751 package sent to VSC
01/11/11: NOA1
02/08/11: Biometrics appointment
08/16/11: Approved!
08/20/11: 10-year green card received

Citizenship Timeline

03/03/14: N-400 sent to Dallas, TX

03/07/14: NOA1

04/03/14: Biometrics appointment

05/21/14: Interview--passed!

07/30/14: Oath ceremony

Hi Jim,

Old-timer here who joined in 2007, although I never posted much. My wife and I (and now two kids) are still going strong, and she just applied for citizenship. (She was eligible a couple of years ago under the 3-year rule for spouses of U.S. citizens, but we had a lot going on with the kids and decided to take a break from immigration, so now she just applied under the 5-year rule.)

I also wonder what happened to my VSC I-130 class from 2008. I always remembered you for your many helpful posts and unsurpassed immigration knowledge.

old-timer lurker here (never posted). Joined June 2007 but was seeking/reading information for my mother to petitions my aunt and my cousins. Returned late 2013 for information about my own petition for my fiancee in VN I-129F.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Anybody currently in Vietnam? I'm currently in Hue city with Phuong and my step-daughter. We got here at the beginning of the week. I'm heading back in the middle of next week, but they're hanging around for about a month before coming back. My step-son is flying here the same day I'm flying back. In fact, we're meeting at the airport in San Francisco so I can hand him some stuff he'll need, like my VN cellphone. We timed it so the house wouldn't be empty.

Anybody else here? If so, where?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Awesome Jim. I didn't go but my wife flew in last week. Will you be going into Saigon? If so I know we have a couple of old timers there.

Anybody currently in Vietnam? I'm currently in Hue city with Phuong and my step-daughter. We got here at the beginning of the week. I'm heading back in the middle of next week, but they're hanging around for about a month before coming back. My step-son is flying here the same day I'm flying back. In fact, we're meeting at the airport in San Francisco so I can hand him some stuff he'll need, like my VN cellphone. We timed it so the house wouldn't be empty.

Timeline

Awesome Jim. I didn't go but my wife flew in last week. Will you be going into Saigon? If so I know we have a couple of old timers there.

We spent a couple of days in Saigon before flying up to Phu Bai. Those days were spent paying some obligatory visits to Phuong's family members who live in Saigon. One of those relatives keeps her father's remains on the family altar, so a full afternoon was spent there. We stayed at a Chua in the suburbs at the invitation of one of the Bhuddist nuns, who is a friend of Phuong's.

I'll only be in Saigon for about three hours on my return trip, and I'm not planning on leaving the airport. In fact, after collecting my bags at the domestic terminal and allowing enough time to get checked in at the international terminal, there really won't be time to go anywhere, especially in Saigon traffic. If I had time I'd probably head over to Tam Hiep guitar shop and check out Mr. Binh's latest work.

Phuong is planning on spending a couple more days in Saigon on her way back, but I'm sure her days are fully booked with some things she more or less has to do or she'd be spending that time with her family here.

I've got a couple more days in Hue, and only a couple of minor plans, so if anybody's in central Vietnam and wants to hook up then send me a PM. If you're not in Hue, but not far away, then I'll travel a short distance if there's a cold one waiting at the end of the trip. Not Da Nang though. Already spent a day there this trip.

Timeline

Enjoy yourself Jim. I have a couple of old timers on my facebook page that live in Saigon.

We spent a couple of days in Saigon before flying up to Phu Bai. Those days were spent paying some obligatory visits to Phuong's family members who live in Saigon. One of those relatives keeps her father's remains on the family altar, so a full afternoon was spent there. We stayed at a Chua in the suburbs at the invitation of one of the Bhuddist nuns, who is a friend of Phuong's.

I'll only be in Saigon for about three hours on my return trip, and I'm not planning on leaving the airport. In fact, after collecting my bags at the domestic terminal and allowing enough time to get checked in at the international terminal, there really won't be time to go anywhere, especially in Saigon traffic. If I had time I'd probably head over to Tam Hiep guitar shop and check out Mr. Binh's latest work.

Phuong is planning on spending a couple more days in Saigon on her way back, but I'm sure her days are fully booked with some things she more or less has to do or she'd be spending that time with her family here.

I've got a couple more days in Hue, and only a couple of minor plans, so if anybody's in central Vietnam and wants to hook up then send me a PM. If you're not in Hue, but not far away, then I'll travel a short distance if there's a cold one waiting at the end of the trip. Not Da Nang though. Already spent a day there this trip.

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm living in VN outside of HCMC in Binh Duong where all the recent protest problems occurred.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

Too bad this is an old post. I am in Hue right now, it is beautiful but very hot.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm living in VN outside of HCMC in Binh Duong where all the recent protest problems occurred.

Wow! I've got to check in here more often! This is really news to me! This is a really radical life change, and I'm curious what prompted it. Phuong and I always talked about maintaining two residences after I retire, one in the US and one in Vietnam, but neither of us has ever really suggested permanently living there.

Too bad this is an old post. I am in Hue right now, it is beautiful but very hot.

Yes, but it's not usually insufferably hot. Being further north and closer to the ocean, I find Hue is usually a lot more comfortable than Saigon. Walking out of Tan Son Nhat airport any time of year is kind of like walking into a blast furnace. It makes me look forward to getting on that domestic flight and getting up to Hue. The city itself is a little gritty, but it has it's own charm, especially around the Citadel. What I really like is the surrounding countryside.

Timeline

Hi Jim. I stop in a couple times a year. This just happens to one of those times. Glad to hear you're doing fine. AnhMap- I have a friend teaching in Hanoi and he says it's pretty tense. Still hanging around huh , luckytxn?

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Timeline

Yeah. I was gone but got an message to come help and monitor the VN and they said, "please," so I pop in now and again. This place is in good hands now though. People here are pretty sharp now.

My wife just got back and she says that when she went into Saigon that it is pretty intense. It was when I was there years ago so I can't imagine what she means. She was also whining about the heat being so much worse also. Lol.

Hi Jim. I stop in a couple times a year. This just happens to one of those times. Glad to hear you're doing fine. AnhMap- I have a friend teaching in Hanoi and he says it's pretty tense. Still hanging around huh , luckytxn?

Timeline

My dad and moms family is in hue and my wife is from hue. Thuan an beach is where they live

IR-1/CR-1 Visa Event Date

USCIS:

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

02-09-2012: Marriage

15-03-2013: I-130 NOA1

06-11-2013: Transfer date to TSC

09-01-2014: NOA2 (I-130)

29-01-2014: Shipped to NVC (I-130)

NVC:

06-02-2014: NVC received case

13-03-2014: Case Number assigned

13-03-2014: IIN Number assigned. Email addresses given

17-03-2014: DS-261 Available and submitted to NVC

18-03-2014: AOS invoice available on portal; AOS paid. "IN PROCESS"

20-03-2014: AOS shows "PAID"

24-03-2014: AOS/I-864 packet express mailed to NVC

01-04-2014: AOS packet arrived at NVC

27-03-2014: IV invoice available on portal; IV invoice paid. "IN PROCESS"

31-03-2014: IV invoice shows "PAID"

01-04-2014: DS-260 submitted

26-04-2014: IV Packet express mailed to NVC

01-05-2014: IV Packet received by NVC

21-05-2014: Case Complete

07-08-2014: Interview Scheduled

02-07-2014: Medical Completed

Timeline

My dad and moms family is in hue and my wife is from hue. Thuan an beach is where they live

My wife's family is also from Thuan An. When I met my wife she owned a house on the outskirts of Hue, but pretty much all of her family still lives in Thuan An. The beach there is pretty nice. Lots of little cabanas where you can sit and watch the ocean. Lots of locals going up and down the beach with baskets of snacks and drinks to sell. It's also usually pretty deserted. I'm surprised more of the tourists that come to Hue city insist on going all the way to Lang Co or Da Nang to spend time on the beach when there's a nice beach only minutes away.

Timeline

Hey guys I hope you remember me. Jim, Curtis, Scott I hope you guys are doing well. I havent posted in the longest of time. My wife and I are having a baby daughter, Sophia, in just a few weeks. I cant wait! I decided to come back here because I was on the web doing research for getting a tourist visa for my wifes mother to come to the states and it made me remember this place. Tourist visa? Yeah...good luck with that right? LoL I know but we will try and see what happens.

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.