ZedbraGuy

Citizenship

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The only thing about US citizenship I detest is the never ending taxes a citizen has to pay till they die lol (even taxes on social security smh). Other countries compared to the US pay just about 20% of the taxes the US pay...but then, comparing it to the benefits to be derived from it, I believe it is all worth it too.

Other countries pay 20% of the taxes the US pay? This is not true. Citizens of most other countries pay quite a bit more

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Estate tax is only levied on amounts exceeding $5,340,000. The OP might not have that inconvenience of being a multi-millionaire..

And if you aren't living in the US and earning from a US employer, then you wouldn't have any income to be taxed. Your taxes would be paid to Canada, not both places on the same income.

Excellent on the estate tax.

If he was not a US citizen or LPR, then he has no obligation to file US tax returns on his Canadian income.

As a USC or LPR, he would need to report his Canadian income on US tax returns even if no taxes are due.

I wouldn't take it so personally. I plan to become a British citizen in future after my husband becomes an American citizen because our child(ren) will be a dual citizen and I think it's important for both parents to also be dual as well. I will not consider myself British though. Just as I'm sure my husband does not consider himself American. It just makes it easier. For instance if in future my child on the way wants to go to Britain to visit grandparents or explore his/her heritage then I"m all for it. I want to have the option of us moving as a family instead of mommy only being able to visit for 90 days.

I think something that is being left out is the possibility of bring family over. I know my wife will apply to bring her mother over as soon as she is eligible. So, there is one other benefit. (and like others here, I'm going to obtain Costa Rican Citizenship as soon as I can for options if no other reason).

Security for my wife's future, whether I am alive or not. Certain education benefits. No more hassles for her with USCIS in the future. And she is also in the US military, and required to have her citizenship after her first 6 years. Also in the military it opens the door for jobs requiring a secret clearance. Ease of travel is another issue.

Edited by Brijo

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

ZebraGuy Im applying my cititzenship I understand that u love where you came from but for us who came from third world country its really hard to get here..

I love my country Philppnes but I need to be a citizen so I can bring my mom here... even though I have a permanent visa it doesnt mean that i can bring my family here.

The only thing I can bring my mom here is to be a citizen.

Hope you understand that everybody has its own reason why they choose to be citizen..

idea9dv.gif

IR1 IR2

04/10/2008 WEDDING DAY!!!!!!!!!''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/19/2014 Form I-130 send to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
04/27/2009 Send the I-130''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/24/2014 USCIS checks cashed
11/24/2009 I-130 Approved''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/2610/2014 USCIS acceptance confirmation via email and text
03/27/2010 AOS sent case forwarded at Nebraska Service Center
04/07/2010 NVC request to send Applicants documents'''''''''''''''''''''''''''05/28/2014 NOA1 Hardcopy
04/09/2010 send the leter requesting to change CR1 to IR1'''''''''''''''''''''''05/29/2014 Alien Registration Number changed

04/12/2010 send email to NVC requesting to change CR1 to IR1'''''''06/20/2014 I-130 Approved (NOA2)

04/15/2010 nvc received 1-864''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' 06/30/2014 I-130 forward to NVC
04/17/2010 received RFE from NVC''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''07/11/2014 NVC received our case

04/21/2010 CR1 to IR1 approved''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''07/18/2014 case # and Innvoice # received

04/30/2010 Send DS230 through EMS express Mail w/o PCC''''''''''08/06/2014 DS-261

05/04/2010 Request for PCC in Japan Embassy'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/08/2014 AOS Invoice received thru email
05/06/2010 DS-230 Delivered, May 06, 2010, 11:55 am''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/08/2014 sent AOS packet

05/12/2010 DS-230 recceived by NVC'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/11/2014 AOS shows "PAID" and packet delivered
05/26/2010 RFE checklist received'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/13/2014 AOS scanned
05/31/2010 RFE checklist response send thru fedex''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/26/2014 IV invoice received thru mail
06/01/2010 RFE for AOS send'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''08/27/2014 IV shows "PAID", DS-260 filed and IV packet send
06/02/2010 NVC received RFE on DS230 signed by J.Desmond 10:25am'''''''''08/29/2014 IV package scanned
06/10/2010 Japan police clearance ready for pick up (36 days)'''''''''''''''''''10/14/2014 Case Complete
06/24/2010 SIGN IN FAILED ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''10/21/2014 CEAC "IN TRANSIT"
06/24/2010 CASE COMPLETE as of june 23, 2010"'"""""""""'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''10/22/2014 CEAC "READY"
06/29/2010 Interview date received.............................................................................10/27/2014 Medical
07/21-22/2010 Medical......................................................................................................11/07/2014 Interview
07/22/2010 NVC forwarded our case to USEM.........................................................11/18/2014 visa received
08/05/2010 Interview 6:30 AM BLUE SLIP
11/08/2010 submit paystub
11/16/2010 submit passport
11/25/2010 VISA RECEIVED
01/16/2011 POE detroit

N-400 Naturalization

11/22/13 Form N-400 sent

11/27/13 USCIS Case Accepted

03/06/14 Interview

03/21/14 Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

This might seem like a strange question to some and I'm not knocking your decision, but I have noticed that most people on VJ see gaining US citizenship as something of a certainty

My question is why?

I know as a citizen you can vote, but the system is broken so that doesn't really appeal to me

You can commit a felony without being deported, but again as I'm not a criminal that isn't important

So the only other benefit I can see is you remove the need to deal with the USCIS every ten years

I'm not American, I never will be and I am proud of where I come from

But why is it that most people seem to consider it as an inevitable part of the migration process

for some of the jobs (like my bro's which is dealing with sensitive data), they require US citizenship.

I suppose the whole area is something I need to do some reading into. I was under the impression that to gain US Citizenship you had to lose you foreign citizenship.

Maybe if my wife could apply to become a British Citizen also that might lessen the blow, because then we'd be doing it together, and being together is what brought me here in the first place.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Used to be U.S. Citizens had more rights. Like working for the Government, owning Guns, Traveling without preparing taxes. Those where the Days, now to be an LPR you have more rights than a U.S. Citizen, so just stay a non Citizen, and I will stay U.S. Citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Somebody already mentioned job as reason #1. Besides security clearance, most government/military/civil service/ & many contract jobs require U.S. citizenship. As a retired military member, my wife w/ GC cannot even get a job at the base commissary without US citizenship.

However, this does not mean that she will get US citizenship. She also is proud of her heritage. Every country has its own laws/rules. My understanding is that the Chinese gov't does not recognize dual citizenship.

One of her friends just got her US citizenship. I am happy for her friend. But it also means that her friend has to apply for a US passport and US visa stamp to return to her home birthplace - at cost! Whereas, if she remained a GC holder, she would have to pay for permanent residency every 10 years, but would not have to pay for US visa. So, choose your fees!

Re: taxes. Again, it just depends on where you are from. Assuming YOU are not a Corporation but a person, most European countries & Canada charge far MORE in individual taxes than does the USA. This is how they pay for their socialized medicine, housing, unemployment, etc. (Obamacare Max).

So, I agree with everybody that it is a personal decision. Both of us are planning on retiring to her country anyway, but I am planning on retaining my citizenship, and she hers. Either way, it is not easy, but love never is!

I suppose the whole area is something I need to do some reading into. I was under the impression that to gain US Citizenship you had to lose you foreign citizenship.

Maybe if my wife could apply to become a British Citizen also that might lessen the blow, because then we'd be doing it together, and being together is what brought me here in the first place.

To stop being a British citizen, you actually have to file a form and pay a fee to the UK government to renounce your citizenship.

For your wife to become a British citizen, you will have to move there, prove a British income over £18,600 before she can join you (no joint sponsor), or £22,400 for spouse and one child. And it's a five year path to "settlement" then 3 years residency beyond settlement (I think) to apply for citizenship.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

If your from England that maybe difficult to understand. My wife was a refugee during the third Indochina war when she was a child and seen real hardship. When our relationship became serious there was never a doubt that she didn't want citizenship in the US.

Also we want to travel together as I'm a foreign worker. Try traveling on a Vietnam passport and see how far you get.

If you have a Western passport travel problems with immigration or police rarely occurs.

From my understanding the poster never talked down to anybody that wants to become an US Citizen. He just stated his point of view and that he doesn't see himself applying for it!

At the end it is everybody's own decision!

I totally respect every ones decision but doesn't mean that I have to think the same way or am I wrong?

Edited by VickyP

11/03/2011 ~ We got married heart.gif in Toender, Denmarkheart.gif

02/09/2012 ~ Arrived in the US ~ Port of entry Dallas Forth Worth, TX

03/02/2012 ~ Received Welcome Letter

03/14/2012 ~ Received Green Card in the Mail

11/18/2013 ~ Mailed I-751 Removal of conditions

11/22/2013 ~ Check cashed

11/25/2013 ~ NOA 1 receipt date 11/20/2013

12/02/2013 ~ Biometrics appointment 12/26/2013

12/26/2013 ~ Biometrics appointment done

09/12/2014~ Approved - Card in Productioin

09/15/2014~ Letter of approval received

09/20/2014~ Card received....yipiiiiieeeee

qap2exyw.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This might seem like a strange question to some and I'm not knocking your decision, but I have noticed that most people on VJ see gaining US citizenship as something of a certainty

My question is why?

I know as a citizen you can vote, but the system is broken so that doesn't really appeal to me

You can commit a felony without being deported, but again as I'm not a criminal that isn't important

So the only other benefit I can see is you remove the need to deal with the USCIS every ten years

I'm not American, I never will be and I am proud of where I come from

But why is it that most people seem to consider it as an inevitable part of the migration process

I do not know why once in a while this same question is asked and there are thousands of reply for and against. There are lots reasons for each person to apply. There is no right or wrong answer. It is all upto the individual. There are thousands of questions like this and all ends up with the same answer it is upto each individual

Other questions like

1) Why do you have to get married

2) Why do you want to have kids

etc.... your question also falls in the same category.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.