redduck227

How critical is it to be engaged befor the interview???

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our Visa is approved and she is getting everything ready on her end now for the interview. So she called up and tells me that she now needs an engagment ring to wear for the interview, When I went there I really did not plan ahead and bring one and now I am very sceptical to send this in the mail.

My question is was everybody engaged when they went to the consulate for the interview?

Thanks for your feedback

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Engagement is not a requirement but signed statements that you both intend to marry are.

I guess is you swear that you intend to marry and in itself is declaration of engagement to marry.

Rings are not required.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not a requirement to have an engagement ring but what is important is to remember the day when u asked her to marry you and that is the date of ur engagement...

Technically you are already engaged when you signed the letters of intent agreeing to marry. Evidence of your engagement, is just an updated letter of intent to marry. No ring is needed, no formal proposal is needed, just a signed agreement to marry.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Not a requirement to have an engagement ring but what is important is to remember the day when u asked her to marry you and that is the date of ur engagement...

Knowledge of a date is NOT a requirement. Stop making things up.

Timeline

4. You are wondering whether you have a fiancé(e).

Nice summary !!!

Each interview is different, some are Embassy-specific, some are CO-specific. The questions asked vary widely and greatly.

I don't believe my wife would have remembered the date of our engagement (I did engage during our meeting in person....and did give her a ring but I don't believe she wore it to the interview). I know that I don't remember the exact date of our engagement.....it's not a big deal in our relationship. We do remember our wedding anniversary though.

Now, if the OP's fiance insists on getting a ring......from my part of the world (where my fiance comes from) that would be seen as a scam.

Edited by baron555

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.