Longer the wait the more chance of being denied??

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I noticed today that a couple was made to wait 12 months by the USCIS and at end of all that they was just denied. Does anyone think that the longer they make you wait the more chance there is of being denied?? We have been waiting 8 months now :(

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

RFE REPLY - SEPTEMBER 11th

NOA2 - DECEMBER 20th 'approved'

NVC RECEIVED - JANUARY 9th

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

EMBASSY RECEIVED - FEBRUARY 7th

DS-160 and NOAR - FEBRUARY 7th

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

INTERVIEW - MARCH 10th 'approved'

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

VISA IN HAND - MARCH 17th

P.O.E (LAS VEGAS) - MARCH 18th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

did you have any RFE's? did you put in a service request?

Timeline

did you have any RFE's? did you put in a service request?

We was issued a RFE on July 30th but they never bothered to send it out twice and we only got it 6 weeks later cause of a infopass. We answered the RFE and they received it on September 11th but since then nothing. The service request we put in in November was ignored and congresswoman Dina Titus office was useless. They never even responded to our calls or emails. A tier 2 office put in another service request on Thursday and we also emailed head office to help. Today we called and instructed a senators office to take the case on and help as they said they would.

Edited by Rich and Chrissy

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

Did your o line status show that they received your RFE and resumed processing? Any touch dates following them receiving your response?

If you didn't send in the correct info in response to an RFE, they would not have what they need to approve. In that case they could deny. They don't keep asking. A denail wouldn't be because they think you aren't a legit couple, but because they don't have enough to approve. Can you post exactly what the RFE said and what you sent? Wondering if the delay is related to the RFE.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Did your o line status show that they received your RFE and resumed processing? Any touch dates following them receiving your response?

If you didn't send in the correct info in response to an RFE, they would not have what they need to approve. In that case they could deny. They don't keep asking. A denail wouldn't be because they think you aren't a legit couple, but because they don't have enough to approve. Can you post exactly what the RFE said and what you sent? Wondering if the delay is related to the RFE.

Yea our online status changed on September 11th but hasn't been touched since. They asked for a signed circumstance of meeting letter and for more prove of meeting within 2 years. I have included the cover letter below which states what's was included....... Edited by Rich and Chrissy

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's always made sense to me that the more difficult or questionable cases (not always the same thing) would take longer to process, and potentially have a higher rate of being rejected. Assuming that it's not the case that there's a great conspiracy where they just advance some cases and ignore others (Occum's razor), the more complications a case has, the longer it is going to take. If someone has a criminal record, that is going to require an extra check. If someone has been married previously, that is going to require an extra check. If someone's evidence of meeting isn't solid, that is going to require an extra check. Etc. As you're adding uncertainties, it makes sense that the probability of a denial would also increase.

The more complications you add, the longer the process should take. That's my thought anyway. It's logical and fair. I knew that my (I'm the USC) credit and criminal history were clear and readily accessible (hers too), my fingerprint card is on file at the FBI for work, and neither my fiancée nor I have ever been married before nor do we have any dependents. We're a really open and shut case so I imagine we 'skipped' a lot of the processing that other cases might have to go through. I therefore looked at the quickest possible processing times and anticipated that. If it had taken longer than that, I'd have been trying to wrack my brains for what the government found questionable that I didn't know about :-)

ROC
18-Jul-2016: I-751 mailed via USPS
21-Jul-2016: Received at California Lockbox
21-Jul-2016: I-797 Notice of Action
25-Jul-2016: Cheque cashed
DONE with AOS! Journey took 241 days from US entry to the day I received my Green Card. goofy.gif
AOS
27-Feb-2014: US Entry
28-Feb-2014: Married
28-Feb-2014: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent via UPS
03-Mar-2014: Applied for SSN
07-Mar-2014: UPS package received by USCIS
11-Mar-2014: Received SSN
11-Mar-2014: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
12-Mar-2014: Cheque cashed
20-Mar-2014: Biometrics appointment (04-Apr) letter received
21-Mar-2014: Successful early walk-in for biometrics
21-Apr-2014: EAD & AP approved (email & text)
24-Apr-2014: Email notice received re: combo card mailed to my address
28-Apr-2014: EAD/AP combo card received
17-Oct-2014: Green card approved
25-Oct-2014: Green card received

Timeline

It's always made sense to me that the more difficult or questionable cases (not always the same thing) would take longer to process, and potentially have a higher rate of being rejected. Assuming that it's not the case that there's a great conspiracy where they just advance some cases and ignore others (Occum's razor), the more complications a case has, the longer it is going to take. If someone has a criminal record, that is going to require an extra check. If someone has been married previously, that is going to require an extra check. If someone's evidence of meeting isn't solid, that is going to require an extra check. Etc. As you're adding uncertainties, it makes sense that the probability of a denial would also increase.

The more complications you add, the longer the process should take. That's my thought anyway. It's logical and fair. I knew that my (I'm the USC) credit and criminal history were clear and readily accessible (hers too), my fingerprint card is on file at the FBI for work, and neither my fiancée nor I have ever been married before nor do we have any dependents. We're a really open and shut case so I imagine we 'skipped' a lot of the processing that other cases might have to go through. I therefore looked at the quickest possible processing times and anticipated that. If it had taken longer than that, I'd have been trying to wrack my brains for what the government found questionable that I didn't know about :-)

Hi thank you for your message it actually makes sense of this whole thing a little as I was denied a B2 visa in march (on phone officer did say they was waiting for the file on that but they got it a couple if weeks ago) and my fiancée was married previously but is divorced.

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

If you had to apply for a B2 because you don't qualify for the VWP (and it was denied, to boot), then I would bet they're doing deeper inquiries on your background.

I can't imagine the frustration of waiting this long, though. Hang in there.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I noticed today that a couple was made to wait 12 months by the USCIS and at end of all that they was just denied. Does anyone think that the longer they make you wait the more chance there is of being denied?? We have been waiting 8 months now sad.png

If you studied the timeline from that member,

you'll note that there was an RFE. IMO - the petitioner not prove up what was asked for, in the RFE submittal, and of course it was denied.

Or it was some data error with USCIS, as that member not have postal notice yet, just an email/text.

As to the wait you're experiencing - I'm sorry - USCIS has had to scramble for adjudication sites since 15 AUG 2012, when DACA applications were first allowed in - the priority was given to DACA applications for some time, with the other casefiles just aggregated and moved around to other service centers for actual adjudication.

It makes more sense to me, for you, to find out exactly where the casefile is, and start studying adjudication queues for that service center.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I noticed today that a couple was made to wait 12 months by the USCIS and at end of all that they was just denied. Does anyone think that the longer they make you wait the more chance there is of being denied?? We have been waiting 8 months now sad.png

I am really sorry for your long wait. As I see you have had an RFE, which might have added a couple of weeks of additional processing time. I don't, however, think that the longer you wait, the higher the chance of being denied. I would also disagree with the post about longer waiting times in general meaning that your case is more "complicated". My husband (then-fiancé) and I were a super easy case - no criminal history, no denied visas, same age, no kids, no divorces, multiple visits, known each other for quite a long time, etc. - but we still had to wait six months for our NOA2. I have a good friend who I would also qualify as an easy case - she had to wait nine months for her NOA2. It is unfortunate that some people race through the process, while others have to wait for a long time, but that is more of a USCIS organization problem than anything else. Also, different service centers work at different speeds, which might also contribute.

Edit: May I ask why you had to apply for a B2 visa (seeing that you're from the UK, which is part of the VWP)? That is the only reason I see why it might take longer beside the RFE.

Edited by HK12

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

There is no real correlation between wait time and results IMHO; what there is -also IMHO; is a correlation between country of origin and length as well as result. There are unfortunately a number of countries considered high fraud and those are the ones that tend to have longer process times and higher rate of denial. Process times swing up and down for a number of reasons, when we did ours, the K1 was about 5-6 months in average; earlier this year it was getting around 1 year in average (or looked like), then it seems it started to reduce again. The load of cases moves slowly and is not very predictable, in most cases there is a 'luck' factor of when you file as to where the load is moving. In our case, times had been shorter around the time we filed, and "luckily" we got into a wave of many petitions that were sent to California, 'for faster processing' according to the letter we got...what a joke...around that time, we started calling the 'black hole California center' in here.

Sit tight, I would say that news are coming.

Timeline

I am really sorry for your long wait. As I see you have had an RFE, which might have added a couple of weeks of additional processing time. I don't, however, think that the longer you wait, the higher the chance of being denied. I would also disagree with the post about longer waiting times in general meaning that your case is more "complicated". My husband (then-fiancé) and I were a super easy case - no criminal history, no denied visas, same age, no kids, no divorces, multiple visits, known each other for quite a long time, etc. - but we still had to wait six months for our NOA2. I have a good friend who I would also qualify as an easy case - she had to wait nine months for her NOA2. It is unfortunate that some people race through the process, while others have to wait for a long time, but that is more of a USCIS organization problem than anything else. Also, different service centers work at different speeds, which might also contribute.

Edit: May I ask why you had to apply for a B2 visa (seeing that you're from the UK, which is part of the VWP)? That is the only reason I see why it might take longer beside the RFE.

If you had to apply for a B2 because you don't qualify for the VWP (and it was denied, to boot), then I would bet they're doing deeper inquiries on your background.

I can't imagine the frustration of waiting this long, though. Hang in there.

I had a ESTA (VWP) for 2 years and was back and forth to the states on it with no problems and never over stayed so I thought I would apply for a B2 as I thought it wouldn't be a problem getting one but wow was I wrong. Foolishly I never looked in to what would happen if the B2 was denied cause if I did I would never of applied and just kept going on the ESTA. :( Edited by Rich and Chrissy

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

I had a ESTA (VWP) for 2 years and was back and forth to the states on it with no problems and never over stayed so I thought I would apply for a B2 as I thought it wouldn't be a problem getting one but wow was I wrong. Foolishly I never looked in to what would happen if the B2 was denied cause if I did I would never of applied and just kept going on the ESTA. :(

If the B2 was denied under INA 214(b) it will have no bearing on your immigrant petition and visa.

Timeline

If the B2 was denied under INA 214(b) it will have no bearing on your immigrant petition and visa.

I got a 214(b) denial

NOA1 - APRIL 19th

RFE - SEPTEMBER 3rd

MEDICAL - JANUARY 24th

NVC LEFT - FEBRUARY 3rd

PACKET 4 - FEBRUARY 25th

VISA ISSUED - MARCH 12th

uk_usa_flag-full.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.