somedude

I am struggling with my marriage. A small rant.

93 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Not sure which forum to post in. I just want to let some steam out and maybe seek some advice.

I am US born Chinese and she is China born Chinese. So no doubt there are a lot of cultural clash issues. Both of our families are close so I assumed that there would be no risk of deceit. I have mixed feelings. I can see that she is trying to make an effort to fit in with my family and our lifestyle. But there are some things about her that seem contradictory. She is very independent and is now working and studying english. But she rarely takes the time to talk with me, but will talk with my parents. So maybe my communication skills could use some work, ok. I call her phone, send her text messages. She always says shes busy, or wasn't near the phone and missed it. But when we are both home, I see her glued to her phone and instantly replying to her friends. We often have fights because she says I am too controlling, and selfish. Which is true, but she barely tells me about her day, does not pick up the phone when she is coming home late. She will come home and say "Oh you called me? I didn't notice". Every now and then, I get it she is busy. But every single time? Come on. So I have many faults, okay I admit it, who doesn't? Whenever I talk about her faults, she says that is just the lifestyle she is used to. She often blames me, says I am the husband. I am supposed to be the bigger person and be more generous and be more trusting of her.

I am very conflicted, because at times I feel she really wants to work things out. But I often notice the inconsistencies in her words and actions.

Just now I had a big fight with her.

My family made plans for thanksgiving. Last week my wife said she cannot make it because she has english class. but she said the school is closed. But she said the teacher set up a class in ANOTHER school. Sounds strange but ok no problem. She tells me shes meeting with her non-chinese classmate (relevant soon) so she does not get lost. Okay no problem. I snuggle up beside her while she is on her laptop and I inadvertently notice she messaging someone on qq in chinese to wait for her. At a location completely different from she mentioned before. I subtlety (maybe I wasn't) ask her again where is she meeting the non-chinese friend. She accidentally said the location she is meeting the chinese friend but immediately corrects herself. I act confused, she said, oh she was just distracted. So she does not want to talk about the second person. She needs her privacy, okay no problem.

This morning, I offer to accompany her to school and she has a strongly adverse reaction. I said I wanted to spend some more time with her and meet her friend. She insists my spending time with my family is more important than her, but also says she absolutely must go to school despite family being so important. She asked why do I not trust her. She said she is really going to school and meeting with her non-chinese classmate. Okay, okay, just more and more odd things that I notice. She says she cannot find her wallet and asks me for money.

I go home and look for her wallet and find her student ID.

Now I am furious. I call her many times then she says she was in the middle of class and asked me what is wrong. I confront her about the student id and second meeting location. She says that she is in school and met up with multiple classmates and doesn't understand why she had to mention the other classmates. And said that I have problems and am being very selfish. For the ID, she said she didn't want to call me to bring her her ID and causing me so much trouble. I said I am your husband, why would it be troublesome? What's wrong with mentioning her meeting up with her other classmates? And she never even told me she had chinese classmates, she told me they were all non-chinese. Now suddenly she has a bunch of chinese classmates. Two of them being named "Jennifer (she has a coworker named Jennifer but hey its a common name) and "Croissant" (I do not know if she mispronounced it or was just pulling at straws at this point). She had ample opportunity to mention that she was meeting up with several other classmates.

The perfect ones being

1. When she first told me she could not make it

2. When she accidentally mentioned the second meeting location

3. When I was walking her to subway

I can come to two conclusions.

A. She is incredibly secretive and forgetful and unlucky and this is just a slew of bad luck, and misunderstandings.

B. She lied to me, I called her bluff and she continued to lie, and I confronted her and she still continued to lie. Part of it? All of it? I do not know.

Truthfully I had my doubts this relationship would work out from the very beginning but I wanted to be optimistic and ignore those little nagging thoughts. But now those little problems have amounted to a big pile. I had previously said I wanted her to leave and she kept saying I just misunderstood and I need to give her time to get used to my lifestyle. And I can feel her treating me better, but it is hard to forget the past. I am sure she is trying to change and be with me, but I can not help to think if she really loved me, she would have started doing this from the very beginning and not waiting for me to be upset with her.

So does she want to be with me? Or has ulterior motives? I feel like shes is not doing a convincing job either way.

She also dropped a bomb on me a few days ago.

She does not want to have babies until she finishes college and gets a good job. She is still learning ESL and struggling at basic english. So that is going to take what 5-7 years? And she does not want to have sex except to have babies. Our marriage was never consummated. She said she wanted to wait, okay no problem. But now she is saying we will have sex like 2 or 3 times and that is it. She said she might be interested in sex after giving birth. But damn, I would have to wait almost a decade for her to maybe be interested in sex? And probably never going to happen again? I thought this was supposed to happen when you have been married for decades AND after having an active sex life in the first few years. She said she hope this does not affect our relationship and it would be a pity if our relationship ends because of abstinence

here are my main thoughts and course of actions.

1.Be optimistic. Nothing in life is easy, struggling is a necessity. So I have to push on and try to make things work despite everything. And assume everything works out in the long run.

2. Be realistic. Do not give it my all, but do not give up. Do not get attached and remember the relationship may or may not work out.

3. Be pessimistic. Assume its over. Been over. Move towards divorce proceedings asap.

4. Be passive-aggressive. Pretend everything will work out, but I know in my heart its not going to work out and just try to make the present more comfortable then go for the divorce after the green card interview inevitably fails since we have no relationship evidence aside from one joint checking account, soon to be tax returns, and a handful of pictures which I forced her to take with me.

1 would be hard and stressful, 2 seems to be the optimal path, 3 seems a bit rash but maybe be better in the long run, and 4 is a cruel thing to do considering I promised to love her and take care of her forever.

Do I have feelings for her? Of course, I was very happy at the beginning and she appeared to be happy too. But instead now its a sort of bittersweetness. And I am afraid it will spiral into resentment.

Dude, this is not good. Path 3 seems to be the best.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dude get some a help from a professional, if that does not work, follow the path for option 3 Divorce her it almost sounds like she is using you. I just sayin smile.png

I agree with Darnell and Ontarkie. A wife should want to share her life with you, not have one without you, which is what she is doing. Go with your gut and deserve more from your partner in life.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, this does not sound promising. Why would she need you to complain in order to treat you better? Everyone is, or should be, on their best behavior at the beginning. So if this is her best, think of what you have in store later. Be glad there are no kids and that you have not consummated your marriage. That makes it easier.

The "no sex" part would be a deal-breaker for me, and I'm not even the randy stud I once was.

Blimey. Yeah. I agree with the above posters. You could try counselling, but the way you describe everything... it doesn't sound good. sad.png

Trust your gut on this one.

p.s. The most telling thing you wrote in your post is...

but I know in my heart its not going to work out
Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

From a woman's point of view, she's not that in to you. Go with your gut feeling.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

cut your losses and move on....she has other interest....best of luck.

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Why did you get married? Family pressure or romantic love?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

I agree with everyone...go with your gut feelings. The EXCUSE about no sex thing is a dead give away that something is definitely wrong. Sorry to read about your story!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.