callmekay

Fiancé forgot he was married before!

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well, the best advices could be:

Dont let anyone to hurt you... think deeply what this could mean, and what role it plays in the honesty and future of your relationship... Is a red flag inside your relationship... just think twice everything...

If you are ok with it and want to continue with this the best is always tell the truth... maybe you two should wait to the interview and let the officer know you are presenting a change in the petition with proof of it... he will decide based in all the paperwork and case ...

But in fact, i think the best now, as mimolicious said, contact a good lawyer....

Just think about it, hope you the best!!!

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"So if you didn't ask he never would have told you, seriously? He didn't forget, he just didn't want to tell you. Lying or omitting something like this is material misrepresentation, and could carry a potential ban. At this point it would probably be a good idea to contact a GOOD immigration attorney."

I am inclined to agree with all dogs go to heaven. A connected attorney might be in order ....if you are set on going down this road. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

He has a daughter. And he told me about the baby momma but apparently this union was BEFORE the baby momma. I gathered his information and translated the question to get his answer. He only informed me about the baby momma.

It wasn't until recently he found his ex wife on Facebook!

He found out that he had been married before by going on Facebook? Now I'm really confused.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I filed in dec 2012. Got my hard copy in June 2013. While filing out the DS 230 form my fiancé remembered he was married and they divorced. This was 18 years ago. He says he has the paperwork to show the divorce but when we initially filed the I129F form he noted he was never married. So now with us about to get our interview date I'm not sure if we can submit an updated I129F form or if we have to start all over again. Has anyone encountered this?? Please help! I'm filing in Vietnam so not sure if that would hinder anything.

Here's the problem. Even if you DID end up filing again, your first application matters. No-one "forgets" they were married before, bet you even Brittney Spears remembers that 45 hours or so marriage in Vegas.

Assuming he DID honestly forget the marriage, then what you need to do depends on what stage of the process you're at. You said you filed in December, I assume by "hard copy" you mean NOA2 or "Petition approval"? If so, you need to contact the embassy (email would be best) advise that there was an error on your I-129F.

You could either have you approval revoked while you case undergoes more processing, OR you could be in AP for a long time while they do more background checks.

One thing is for sure - if you DO get as far as the interview and this has all been corrected, I would be prepared for a TOUGH interview. Because I'm sorry but "oh hey by the way I was married before, didn't last long" might not come up in general conversation, but it sure as h*ll should have been brought up in an immigration relationship.

I suggest you ask a few more questions of your fiance. There might be other things he "forgot" that might be important to you.

He found out that he had been married before by going on Facebook? Now I'm really confused.

I would assume he realise that with Facebook being around and her being on it, his fiancee (the OP) would probably find out about his ex and he should actually come clean. That's what I think. This is a pretty huge "lie by omission" and I would be putting a halt on the process for a bit.

Filed: Timeline

For certain, must to show his certified copy of divorce decree on your interview day.

as to correcting the I-129F - I be clueless.

Ya, the requirement is that both parties be eligible to marry. The divorce decree is a must.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm not sure either. I just know he found his ex wife. Apparently he forgot they were married until she mentioned it :(

I-129F sent on 12/18/2012
Delivery confirmation confirmed from USPS 12/20/2012
Text/email NOA1 received 12/26/2012 Off to VSC we go!
Check cashed 12/28/2012
NOA1 Hardcopy received 12/29/2012 Priority Date 12/21/2012
Touched, still in Initial Review 01/02/2013

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/24/2013 transferred

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/29/2013 transferred to local office (New Orleans?)

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/30/2013 File now processing

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

NOA2 Hardcopy received 06/22/2013

Touched, 07/10/2013 sent to DOS

Received case number from NVC 07/15/2013

Case sent to US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 07/30/2013

Sent online form to Us Consulate to inquire about packet 3 08/20/2013

Packet 3 Received @ consulate 9/26/2013

Packet 4 Sent via email 01/03/2014

Interview Date 01/27/2014 (submitted requested documents and medical exams records received 03/30 )

VISA APPROVED (Received in hand on April 22)
May 18, 2014 Arrive in US

Wedding date 06/02/2015

AOS Sent: TBD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I'm not sure either. I just know he found his ex wife. Apparently he forgot they were married until she mentioned it sad.png

What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure either. I just know he found his ex wife. Apparently he forgot they were married until she mentioned it sad.png

Sounds like a third world thing - hoping a previous marriage wouldn't have been recorded. But, if his first wife recorded the marriage and then divorced him, for whatever reason, there is now a record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm sorry but something doesn't smell right. It is possible that if an individual suffers a traumatic brain injury they can suffer from retrograde amnesia (forget things in the past). However, barring some event like that I just don't know how how a guy would forget marrying someone until she reminded him. I guess you have to ask yourself "Does this sound right to me?" I would certainly be questioning what else he "forgot" or what else you haven't asked him yet. And why was he looking for his ex wife on facebook? If he knew her name didn't he know she was once his wife? Or is he chatting with some random stranger who says "Hey, remember we used to be married?"

Edited by khwaidee1

Here's the problem. Even if you DID end up filing again, your first application matters. No-one "forgets" they were married before, bet you even Brittney Spears remembers that 45 hours or so marriage in Vegas.

Assuming he DID honestly forget the marriage, then what you need to do depends on what stage of the process you're at. You said you filed in December, I assume by "hard copy" you mean NOA2 or "Petition approval"? If so, you need to contact the embassy (email would be best) advise that there was an error on your I-129F.

You could either have you approval revoked while you case undergoes more processing, OR you could be in AP for a long time while they do more background checks.

One thing is for sure - if you DO get as far as the interview and this has all been corrected, I would be prepared for a TOUGH interview. Because I'm sorry but "oh hey by the way I was married before, didn't last long" might not come up in general conversation, but it sure as h*ll should have been brought up in an immigration relationship.

I suggest you ask a few more questions of your fiance. There might be other things he "forgot" that might be important to you.

I would assume he realise that with Facebook being around and her being on it, his fiancee (the OP) would probably find out about his ex and he should actually come clean. That's what I think. This is a pretty huge "lie by omission" and I would be putting a halt on the process for a bit.

good.gif

"All my life, without a doubt i give you, all my life, now and forever till the day i die, you and i will share" By: America
                                                               == I am the beneficiary==
AOS - K1 & K2
03-04-2014 ( Day 01) - Mailed
03-06-2014 ( Day 02) - Received
03-17-2014 ( Day 13) - Text and E-mail Notification at 12:50 am
03-21-2014 ( Day 17) - Received I-797C NOA (AOS, AP & EAD) hard copies - 6 mails
03-24-2014 ( Day 20) - Received I-797C NOA (ASC Appointment Notice/ Biometrics schedule) - 2 mails
04-09-2014 ( Day 36) - Biometrics Schedule @ 10&11am
05-30-2014 ( Day 87) - Received EAD combo card (K2 only)
06-09-2014 ( Day 97) - I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Card / Document Production (no interview)
06-12-2014 ( Day 100)- I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Mailed the new card
06-14-2014 ( Day 102)- GC ( both K1 & k2) - Received

Done.

ROC - K1 & K2

03-17-2016 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-22-2016 ( Day 05) - NOA1

04-19-2016 ( Day 27) - Biometrics Appt. ( only K1 admitted, no K2 Bio Appt. letter received)

03-13-2017 ( Day 328) - Received Biometrics Appt. letter for K2 ( yes, almost a year of waiting!) Scheduled for March 22, 2017

03-22-2017 ( Day 337) - Biometrics Appt. (K2)

04-19-2017 ( Day 364)- USCIS status changed from "Case Was Received" to "Name Updated" (Only the K1 case)

04-26-2017 ( Day 371)-  USCIS status changed from " Name Updated" to "New Card Is Being Produced" ( both K1 and K2 app)

05-01-2017 ( Day 376)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K2 case)

05-02-2017 ( Day 377)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K1 case)

05-04-2017 ( Day 379)-  Received GC in the mail ( K2)

05-05-2017 ( Day 380)-  Received GC in the mail ( K1)

Done.

Naturalization

03-10-2017 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-21-2017 ( Day 11) - Received Text and Email Notification

03-25-2017 ( Day 15) - Received NOA hardcopy

03-27-2017 ( Day 17) - USCIS website status changed " Fingerprint Appointment Was Scheduled"

04-12-2017 ( Day 33) - Biometrics/ Fingerprints & stamped passports for another 1 yr extension.

05-15-2017 ( Day 66) - "In Line for Interview" updated website status

05-17-2017 ( Day 68) - " Interview Was Scheduled" updated website status

05-25-2017 ( Day 76) - Received  the interview letter

06-26-2017 ( Day 108) - Interview Schedule

08-03-2017 ( Day 147)- Received notification online "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would ask the question, When did you get the divorce papers? If before you filed in December, he did not forget. If after filing and before completing the DS 230, he should have told you as soon as he found out. That is already a trust issue.

Does he also forget to eat? What other forgotten memories will pop up? Why would he look up a person on Facebook unless he wanted to see them there?

What are the odds of randomly picking someone on Facebook that is a forgotten ex wife?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would ask the question, When did you get the divorce papers? If before you filed in December, he did not forget. If after filing and before completing the DS 230, he should have told you as soon as he found out. That is already a trust issue.

Does he also forget to eat? What other forgotten memories will pop up? Why would he look up a person on Facebook unless he wanted to see them there?

What are the odds of randomly picking someone on Facebook that is a forgotten ex wife?

Apparently she tried to sponsor him? I'm not sure. We haven't talked about what he or she did and why it didn't work out.

I-129F sent on 12/18/2012
Delivery confirmation confirmed from USPS 12/20/2012
Text/email NOA1 received 12/26/2012 Off to VSC we go!
Check cashed 12/28/2012
NOA1 Hardcopy received 12/29/2012 Priority Date 12/21/2012
Touched, still in Initial Review 01/02/2013

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/24/2013 transferred

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/29/2013 transferred to local office (New Orleans?)

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/30/2013 File now processing

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

NOA2 Hardcopy received 06/22/2013

Touched, 07/10/2013 sent to DOS

Received case number from NVC 07/15/2013

Case sent to US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 07/30/2013

Sent online form to Us Consulate to inquire about packet 3 08/20/2013

Packet 3 Received @ consulate 9/26/2013

Packet 4 Sent via email 01/03/2014

Interview Date 01/27/2014 (submitted requested documents and medical exams records received 03/30 )

VISA APPROVED (Received in hand on April 22)
May 18, 2014 Arrive in US

Wedding date 06/02/2015

AOS Sent: TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Apparently she tried to sponsor him? I'm not sure. We haven't talked about what he or she did and why it didn't work out.

Wait wait wait.

So this ex-wife is also a USC who filed MAY have filed a petition for him at some point? There's a section in the forms for that I think and if this IS true, then it's worse than I initially wrote.

Just happens to forget a spouse that MAY have filed for immigration paperwork for him? That's worse than if she were an ex from his home country that he just "forgot about".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.