Matrix56

K1 pregnant wife, no health insurance DESESPERATE! Help

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is not so much whether public or private, it is size of business. No penalties will be assessed against small businesses of under 50 employees. http://101.communitycatalyst.org/aca_provisions/employer_requirements If more than 50 employees, then by all means prosecute if the insurance fails to cover your wife's pregnancy. If greater than 50 employees, certainly apply for Medicaid which has lower requirements than Medicare (for pregnant women and children under age of 21) based on income and need - pregnancy is considered a need and not a disease or "pre-existing condition." Human beings are beings and not conditions. I really hate insurance lingo, even though I work in the field. Besides help for the pregnancy, depending on income level, look into other forms of nutritional assistance such as Women-Infants-Children (WIC) assistance. Also, look for free clinics and Community Service Boards where physicians pretty much work for minimum wage.

ALL insurance policies must include pregnancy coverage after 01/01/2014. It makes no difference what size your company is. If the company is under 50 people it is not required to provide insuarnce but it cannot pick and choose who to give it to. If ANY business covers 1 employee it must cover all employees no matter how many work for the company. So again he will be able to get a policy that covers pregnency through his emplyer starting Jan 1 and if not they will be fined because they offer insurance period.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Actually that provision is delayed for a year...the requirement for employers to provide health insurance....but the individual is still required to have health insurance. So when he is required to buy health insurance no later than 1 January 2014 his wife will also be covered as will the pregnancy/delivery. We just need to get him to that point.

Timeline

Actually that provision is delayed for a year...the requirement for employers to provide health insurance....but the individual is still required to have health insurance. So when he is required to buy health insurance no later than 1 January 2014 his wife will also be covered as will the pregnancy/delivery. We just need to get him to that point.

His employer already provides insurance so the delay has nothing to do with him. The delay is for comapnies that do not privede it currently and have more than 50 employees or who do not cover employees over 30 hours a week. He said his company already provides insuarnce so they have to accept his wife and the policy has to include pregnency.

Timeline

I am not suggesting this but a friend of mine lost his job while his wife was pregnant and she went to the state medicaid office and they suggested that if they were temporarily separated and she had no job she would qualify for emergency medicaid. They filed and legal separation the next day, she recieved medicaid for pregnency and after the baby was born and he foun a new job with insurance they dissolved the separation and maedicaid. Just what they did.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The Health Insurance industry in this country has no morals. Completely pathetic. The sooner we get a Canadian system in America the better.

Yeah, I totally can't wait until I have to wait 3 months to see an allergist after my son has a life threatening allergy attack to an unknown substance.

FYI, this happened to my SIL in Canada.

That's not a system I want to adopt the way it is.

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, I totally can't wait until I have to wait 3 months to see an allergist after my son has a life threatening allergy attack to an unknown substance.

FYI, this happened to my SIL in Canada.

That's not a system I want to adopt the way it is.

From what I have heard from my Canadian friends it is all location dependent. None of my friends in Toronto have ever complained about having problems with the health care system there but they have heard these stories from different areas of Canada having problems.

Canada's system is not perfect but it is a whole lot better for the majority of the people than the US health care farce.

ucxi92z6o.png

It's the price you have to pay when immigranting someone from another country. It's not like the people in the US had a say in it when they have to pick up the tab. Nothing in life's for free, ultimately someone has to pay for it.

Well, he is a US Citizen. Who has I am sure paid his taxes diligently throughout his lifetime. Why shouldn't he avail of social benefits he paid into over the years? So I think he has paid his fair share into the pool.

Filed: Timeline

Well, he is a US Citizen. Who has I am sure paid his taxes diligently throughout his lifetime. Why shouldn't he avail of social benefits he paid into over the years? So I think he has paid his fair share into the pool.

This is about the immigrant, and not about the OP who would of course be entitled to such social benefits. Isn't the intent of the I-864 to prevent the US people from being stuck with the bill. When you choose to bring someone to another country, you should also be responsible for them.

I understand that emergencies happen, and that is why the US has emergency medicaid. The only problem I can see the OP may have is that he may make too much money, which could disqualify his wife from receiving emergency medicaid or he would have to repay it back.

Edited by Umka36

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

From what I understand, the prenatal tests amount to around 2,000. For delivery, you can go for emergency medicaid.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't he be able to apply for benefits for HIS child who also will be a US citizen like him? I can understand if the immigrant was using benefits for herself ( like medical services for injuries etc) that is why the I-864 is in place but using medicaid for the safe delivery of a US citizen child of a USC should be allowed?

my understanding of the I-864 is that you shouldn't be a ward of the state. That is the state shouldn't be taking care of you if you are an immigrant and able. That is clothing you or sheltering you and maybe even feeding you. So no SSI benefits for example until you have 40 credits to your name or you become a USC. But in this case she wont be a ward of the state?

I do think any company asking you to pay 450 per paycheck for your family for health insurance is one that is paying you enough to cover that expense or asking too much. In which case I do think he is making more than the income requirement and he should check to see that he is qualified.

if not here is hoping that open enrollment happens before delivery.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

ose debo aplicar al medicaid ?

English only in the upper forums.

Actually the spouse's credits count for social security. So if he has worked 40 credits they can count for her.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.