Matrix56

K1 pregnant wife, no health insurance DESESPERATE! Help

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi guys! I've been visiting this website but this is my first time posting. Hope you can help me. My now wife came on a k1 visa back on December 2012, got married. In april we adjust her status, she already have her EAD/AP, only waiting for her GC. 2 weeks ago we found out she is 4 weeks pregnant! Even when we didn't plan it we are super happy! But I'm worry cause she doesn't have health insurance and even if I can buy her one now, noone wants to cover my wife's pregnancy expenses. We moved to florida 3 weeks ago and taking her to a private OB/GYN is $250, plus her prenatal vitamins and other test and blood works, is just too much money!! I read that I cannot apply for medical/financial aid for her cause I signed an I864, but I made a few calls and a lady told me I can apply for her madicaid cause it has nothing to do with her immigrations status (she told me something that I'm not asking for federal help but statal aid). Somebody please clear this point to me cause I'm pretty confuse! Some advice please! I'm desesperate!

You might wanted to read this thread

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/368233-medicaid-for-pregnant-women/

I believe they live in Florida too.

Dont stress too much as everything will turn out ok. Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Edited by RyRo

}Our Journey{

--October 22, 2010 * Started talking online "As friends"

--November 20,2010 * Became a couple (Started Dating)

--December 18,2011 * Met in person for first time @ Davao Int. Airport

--January 3,2012 * Returned to the US (saddest day of our lives)

--May 19,2012 * I-129F finally sent YAY!

--May 21,2012 * Packet 1 was received at Dallas Lockbox Facility

--May 23,2012 * First Notice Of Action (NOA1)

--May 24,2012 * $340.00 Check is Cashed By Department of Homeland Services

--May 29,2012 * Form I-797C NOA1 Received From USCIS California Service Center

--August 16,2012 * APPROVED I-129F!!! WOO! :) :) :)

--August 20,2012 * Second Notice Of Action Rcvd (NOA2 Hardcopy)

}*{Patience brings things worth waiting for}*{

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Moved from Family-based AOS Process to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~~

~inquiry is not AOS process related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

does your employer provide healthcare? Can you add her to that?

yes I can but they dont cover my wife pregnancy, cause is a "preexistance condition". In order to cover her pregnancy expenses I should added her at least 8 month before her pregnancy

Timeline

When you got married back in December why didn't you add her to your employer health insurance?

I did not added her cause it was too expensive. I paid for the whole k1 visa, all my visits to China (5) during our 2 years courtship, paid for her trip, our new house, the wedding and her AoS. Adding her means $475 minus of my paycheck, and because we didn't want kids yet my plan was recover from all the expenses, saved a little bit and add her later.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After January 1, 2014 pre-existing conditions can no longer be excluded from insurance policies by federal law. Thank you President Obama. Your employer will have to cover her and if not you will be able to buy her a policy on the new insurance exchanges and they have to cover pregnaency and you could get a tax credit because your employer refused to cover her and they would be fined. I am not sure how old she is but here in Maryland the premium will be about $250 per month for a 30 something non-smoker woman for full coverage halth insurance including pregnancy.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

After January 1, 2014 pre-existing conditions can no longer be excluded from insurance policies by federal law. Thank you President Obama. Your employer will have to cover her and if not you will be able to buy her a policy on the new insurance exchanges and they have to cover pregnaency and you could get a tax credit because your employer refused to cover her and they would be fined. I am not sure how old she is but here in Maryland the premium will be about $250 per month for a 30 something non-smoker woman for full coverage halth insurance including pregnancy.

Why would the private employer have to cover her with a pre existing condition? (PS - HIPAA states pregnancy is not a pre existing condition but insurers have ways around it. )

Obamacare sets up exchanges, etc. It mandates certain big employers to provide coverage, but no where does it stipulate private company insurance have to cover pre existing conditions. If they want that coverage, then they have to buy insurance through Obamacare.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Why would the private employer have to cover her with a pre existing condition? (PS - HIPAA states pregnancy is not a pre existing condition but insurers have ways around it. )

Obamacare sets up exchanges, etc. It mandates certain big employers to provide coverage, but no where does it stipulate private company insurance have to cover pre existing conditions. If they want that coverage, then they have to buy insurance through Obamacare.

You are incorrect Obamacare require all new policies(ie-annual renewal of employer policies) after Jan 1, 2014 provide basic materinty benefits as part of the insurance policy not a rider. As far as pre-existing condtions if your employer will not provide coverage then you fall into the catagory of an individual who cannot get employer health insurance and would be entitled to purchase from the exchange and recieve a tax credit if your income allows and your employer would be fined for not providing coverage.

Edited by Noel194

Timeline

Even if Obamacare, actually allows my insurance to cover my wife pregnancy, her due date is around the end of feb. So I need to still manage how to afford her prenatal care. I was thinking to apply for a emergency madicaid for her delivery so, my baby's birth is not my biggest concern right now. Thanks for your advices!

Timeline

It is not so much whether public or private, it is size of business. No penalties will be assessed against small businesses of under 50 employees. http://101.communitycatalyst.org/aca_provisions/employer_requirements If more than 50 employees, then by all means prosecute if the insurance fails to cover your wife's pregnancy. If greater than 50 employees, certainly apply for Medicaid which has lower requirements than Medicare (for pregnant women and children under age of 21) based on income and need - pregnancy is considered a need and not a disease or "pre-existing condition." Human beings are beings and not conditions. I really hate insurance lingo, even though I work in the field. Besides help for the pregnancy, depending on income level, look into other forms of nutritional assistance such as Women-Infants-Children (WIC) assistance. Also, look for free clinics and Community Service Boards where physicians pretty much work for minimum wage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey I live in Florida too. There's certain hospitals you pay per income, somehow it's not government assistance or welfare. Brevard County is where I heard it is possible from someone who did it but I know very little. You also can do home birth or something for fairly cheap. But having a baby at a hospital normally runs 10,000 on the low end. My sister got healthcare after she got pregnant but it was like $700 a month and she needed to get it 7 months before delivery. Obamacare has changed a lot so who knows what is true anymore.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.