taal

Fradulent husband married for a visa

126 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sorry about what he done.how can anyone do that to someone who sacrifices so much through this Journey , get kicked in the butt after they get through it.Report him ....

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would say the same thing as you got some good advice in prior post, divorce him and report him as a fraud.

Not having a concrete proof it would be difficult to prove the fraud as it would be one person’s word against another.

Try to gather some proof that he married you only for the VISA, Delhi consulate tends to have lot of these cases and are known to reject most of K1 applications.

I know in January we could have gotten his temporary green card conditions removed. 3 months before your 2 year anniversary, that is supposed to be signed and submitted from me. At first he told me he would just pay me for the years I wasted. I asked him how much I was worth = 20k is the answer I got. It upset me and hurt me. I never went in to this marriage as a financial venture. It was real deal for me, it just hurts knowing what this outcome has led me to.. Very depressing. My parents told me divorce would be the biggest embarrassment I could bring them....Hurts....

See if you can get him to write you a check so you can add that the the information below to prove he entered intothe marriage just to get a GC:

ok - sorry, i've had a chance to sleep a bit..

-----

IMO, the best route for you, for this week, is to file for annulment, and state/write in the filing that the marriage was done for immigration purposes, and now that he's arrived in the usa, and received a green card, defendant clearly indicated that the marriage was for solely his benefit.

IMO, if you :

1. file for annulment and

2. get that wording in the filing document

then it'll be difficult for him to file for a 10 year card...

[which is the slope I want him clearly placed on]

good.gif Yes, do this NOW.

Sorry this has happened to you and I wish you well,

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Taal, was this an arranged marriage? You have this tiny bit in your post -- "I dislike being an Indian girl, it's so hard" -- that makes me think divorce might be harder on you than many of the people responding to your post realize.

Maybe you can provoke him into revealing his true intentions to your parents? Start an argument with a cell phone recorder on or something? He must be communicating with this girl in India. Do you have any way of accessing records of his communications with her? Do you pay the cell phone bill? Check the records with the phone company. Is he making frequent calls to someone who is not in his family in India? Otherwise, what about email? Do you ever have the chance to access his email? Facebook? Find some semblance of proof for your parents. It will be much easier if you have the support of your family, particularly if they are involved and invested in the relationship and you are living with them.

I partly agree with this, but it depends on circumstances that aren't clear from what Taal has said so far. Immigration laws SUCK and if the system produces people who have to resort to scamming to get privileges others are randomly granted by birth, then I think the system and the people who support it with their actions are as much to blame as the unfortunate individuals who hurt others in an attempt to get what they think they ought to have by right.

That said, US immigration laws are meant to support marriage as we understand it ideally in American culture -- in other words, marriage as a choice between two consenting adults who believe they know enough about each other to enter into a lifelong contract together. Marriage in other cultures, sometimes very subtly, is based on other assumptions. If Taal were a white woman who went to India and met a man and agreed to marry him within one month, I would say: joke's on you! DUH he's a fraud. The reason the K-1 visa was denied is because they knew he was a fraud. So-called "Love marriages" rarely succeed if they're entered into so rashly.

But an arranged marriage? Or even a love marriage supported by a family operating within a cultural framework that assumes certain ideas from arranged marriage? Such a speedy engagement isn't rash. It might even be preferable.

And that point about accusing Taal of looking for a slave -- shame on you! You don't know nearly enough about the circumstances to make such a horrible accusation. Her motives probably had nothing to do with the admittedly awful imbalance of power between US citizens and people wanting to be US citizens, and much more to do with wanting a culturally familiar spouse. Diaspora is a complicated lifestyle and American citizens are not so homogenous that you can assume they all have the same kinds of relationships with politically and economically disadvantaged countries.

Is that all you could decipher from my message? I didn't rule out the possibilities of the guy being a fraud, but I was balancing my discussion. It's possible both had different motives which is factual. To be fair, review both sides of the coin before casting stone. The family could possible have seen something which is why they do not believe her afterall. The world would be a better place if we all play safe not to call for the other sides head till you get the real gist. I have come across too many liars on the internet crying wolf when they are the real "tormentors". My post is very well balanced for any balanced soul. No remorse to laying out my views. If you can read my post, then PASS by.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Since I am from India, I can understand the issue from OP's point of view. Divorce is still a taboo in India and woman who divorces always finds it difficult to find a never married guy. That's why the family is not supportive of her. Also friends and extended family would look down on a divorced woman. Yeah it is true. India is growing fast as far the divorce rate is concerned, but we haven't caught up yet. From what she said her husband is a fraud. She can't change what happened but she can change what's going to happen. As the previous member commented, gather proofs. Since she was married in India, I don't think she can divorce from here. It has to be done in India. And if possible block his any chances to petition for anyone else.

Timeline

Is that all you could decipher from my message? I didn't rule out the possibilities of the guy being a fraud, but I was balancing my discussion. It's possible both had different motives which is factual. To be fair, review both sides of the coin before casting stone. The family could possible have seen something which is why they do not believe her afterall. The world would be a better place if we all play safe not to call for the other sides head till you get the real gist. I have come across too many liars on the internet crying wolf when they are the real "tormentors". My post is very well balanced for any balanced soul. No remorse to laying out my views. If you can read my post, then PASS by.

My first reaction was the same. Why wouldn't the family believe her? It's fishy, to be sure. Yes, we're not hearing the husband's story.

But then I think about what it means to commit to a marriage in India, and conversely, what it means to contemplate divorce -- and furthermore, how intensely gendered these questions are. Particularly if it's an arranged marriage -- or even if it's a love marriage but the parents are operating in a cultural framework that assumes arranged marriage -- it's highly likely that the parents wouldn't believe her only because they wouldn't want to. It's possible that she's exaggerating and her parents a denying it, but it's equally possible that this is an instance of classic Indian patriarchy operating so effectively that this girl is rendered unreliable in comparison to her husband in her parents' eyes. I have seen it happen so many times with my girlfriends in India (and even NRI friends in the US).

And if it is the case that her parents are choosing not to believe her, then this might be her only outlet. Where else could she be heard?

My first reaction was the same. Why wouldn't the family believe her? It's fishy, to be sure. Yes, we're not hearing the husband's story.

But then I think about what it means to commit to a marriage in India, and conversely, what it means to contemplate divorce -- and furthermore, how intensely gendered these questions are. Particularly if it's an arranged marriage -- or even if it's a love marriage but the parents are operating in a cultural framework that assumes arranged marriage -- it's highly likely that the parents wouldn't believe her only because they wouldn't want to. It's possible that she's exaggerating and her parents a denying it, but it's equally possible that this is an instance of classic Indian patriarchy operating so effectively that this girl is rendered unreliable in comparison to her husband in her parents' eyes. I have seen it happen so many times with my girlfriends in India (and even NRI friends in the US).

And if it is the case that her parents are choosing not to believe her, then this might be her only outlet. Where else could she be heard?

Thanks for your understanding and getting my point. She should take her case home and seek peace or have the relationship disolved than hurting herself the more. Goodluck to her.

Timeline

You know, I'm thinking of another interesting suggestion. A revenge, perhaps, if the guy is really doing what he says he's doing. Are you in touch with his parents? More importantly, do you have any way of getting in touch with this other woman's parents? The quickest way to bring an end to a relationship in India is to out the couple to the parents. Of course, you should still divorce the man, but if you get the rumor spread -- that he was previously married, and that too to an American for a GC -- then you might cut off his supply off potential future brides. I find it highly unlikely that, whoever this girl is in India, her parents would be okay with her marrying this man. Leave him, by all means, and pray that your family has the strength to support you -- if not today, then at least eventually -- but also make it hard for him to exit with dignity. He wants to pay you for it? Dignity for dignity. Why not?

Timeline

I'm sorry, but I can't just leave it. This thread shouldn't end with that post.

Singledad, you couldn't possibly know that. And your posting in this manner isn't particularly constructive or interesting.

As a side note: have you ever been to India? Most of my friends have been in long-term long-distance relationships that baffle American dating sensibilities. There could very easily be a girl in India.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.