RevDoc

SameSexMarriage

58 posts in this topic

This is because same sex marriage is not a world wide thing it is only "so-called" legal in 13 states.

Wrong. It is not "so-called" legal in 13 states. It IS legal in 13 states, the District of Columbia, and 12 other countries. There is no "'so-called' legal" about it.

Edited by the maven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Wrong. It is not "so-called" legal in 13 states. It IS legal in 13 states, the District of Columbia, and 12 other countries. There is no "'so-called' legal" about it.

Oh, snap! Great reply! yes.gif

Unless god is going to come down from his comfy chair in the sky and personally re-write the legislation, then I think we're fine having whatever laws we (as in, "we the people") want.

Opinion polls have shown that gay marriage is now favoured by a majority of Americans, and as the opposition dies off (it's mostly old, white people who have a problem with it, the same as it was mostly old, white people who had a problem with black people having civil rights - strange coincidence, right?) this number is only going to increase.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

all…very helpful..thank you!

I do not know if you have seen this yet or not, but this FAQ sheet has some good info about immigration post DOMA> http://www.nclrights.org/site/DocServer/Post-DOMA_Immigration.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok, so the same rules would apply for a K1 visa for a same-sex couple, right? The beneficiary's country must also allow same-sex marriage, right? Basically, free to marry in both places, right?

And going back to the huge debate about SSM, get over it. Raise your kids how you want with religion or whatever beaten into them, but do not try to deny people basic rights that we take for granted. Rights like health insurance for spouses or the ability to jointly file tax returns. These people love each other and they deserve these rights, just as much as we do.

And don't worry about your church, temple or mosque. They will forbid SSM, your halls will remain untainted and pure. Take it easy.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

do most use an attorney to do this or is it really pretty simple?

The forms themselves are straightforward, not any more difficult than filling out a full 1040 by hand.

We've a great guide section here, and there are wiki pages also.

All of that info varies, depending on which path you choose.

IMO, USCIS (solely) route is easier and faster, so if possible for you two to marry in the USA then adjust status in the USA, it's just going to be faster. Although DOMA was effectively repealed, it's going to take time for the Department of State to 'react' to it for visas obtained outside of the USA. There's lots of 'stuff' to go out to the Embassies worldwide, and it's going to take DoS some time to get it all sorted. USCIS doesn't have that problem on reaction time, in effect you two could marry today, file (adjustment of status) tomorrow with USCIS and then wait it out, the two of you inside the USA.

Good Luck, which ever path you decide.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Ok, so the same rules would apply for a K1 visa for a same-sex couple, right? The beneficiary's country must also allow same-sex marriage, right? Basically, free to marry in both places, right?

And going back to the huge debate about SSM, get over it. Raise your kids how you want with religion or whatever beaten into them, but do not try to deny people basic rights that we take for granted. Rights like health insurance for spouses or the ability to jointly file tax returns. These people love each other and they deserve these rights, just as much as we do.

And don't worry about your church, temple or mosque. They will forbid SSM, your halls will remain untainted and pure. Take it easy.

I don't think the laws of the beneficiary's country of origin matter. Partners from different nationalities can get married in a U.S. state that recognizes same sex marriage, and that will be recognized by the feds. It wouldn't matter for U.S. law whether the non USC spouse's country recognizes their marriage.

Just ignore it. He's anti-SSM and was trolling the forums on this subject yesterday.

Good to know! good.gif

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

This is an interesting topic...My thoughts

As the state laws govern marriage and some states allow, it would be in the same grey area as first cousins wanting to marry. I assume the first implementation would be something following those general guidelines.

The other thought is it will take time! With the minor update to the last 864, it seemed to lockup the system for a month just to retrain the folks on moving the boxes around. I wonder how long SSM will take train all the consulates on the new policies and procedures.

Finished!

I don't think the laws of the beneficiary's country of origin matter. Partners from different nationalities can get married in a U.S. state that recognizes same sex marriage, and that will be recognized by the feds. It wouldn't matter for U.S. law whether the non USC spouse's country recognizes their marriage.

Yes, I understand that. But when filing for a K1 visa, one of the requirements is free to marry in both countries. Logic tells me that if you're not free to marry in the beneficiary' country, then it'll be denied.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Incorrect. You cannot get a CR-1 visa obviously if your beneficiary is from a country that does not allow same sex marriage, but you can get a K-1 visa.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, I understand that. But when filing for a K1 visa, one of the requirements is free to marry in both countries. Logic tells me that if you're not free to marry in the beneficiary' country, then it'll be denied.

Yes, being free to marry means you are both single and able to marry someone legally. For a K-1, it has to be legal in the state where the petitioner resides and they intend to marry. People have been talking about 1st cousin marriages for example. First cousins can marry in some states and in others they cannot. If someone files a K-1 for a 1st cousin, it does not have to be legal in the foreign fiance(e)'s country because that is not where the marriage will take place. It has to be legal in the USC petitioner's state where they intend to wed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

To clarify what others have said, that just means that you must not currently be married, that you are single and therefore "free to marry". It doesn't mean that SSM needs to be legal in both countries. The USCIS doesn't care about the marriage laws of the beneficiary's country; they only care about US law.

Met in person for the first time: April 23, 2011 in Docklands, London, UK
Engaged: October 29th, 2012 at the John Hancock Building in Chicago, US

Filed K-1 visa application: April 4, 2013
Received text/email notification: April 12, 2013
Received NOA1 in mail: April 17, 2013
Received NOA2 text/email: August 6th, 2013 (at 9:45pm!)

NVC received packet: August 30th, 2013

Beneficiary rcvd "Packet 3" instructions: September 13, 2013

Embassy rcvd completed "Packet 3": September 24, 2013

Police certificate rcvd: September 27, 2013

Medical Appointment: October 2, 2013

Medical Received at Embassy: October 17, 2013 (delay due to request for further info)

Embassy appointment/Visa Approved!!!: November 21st, 2013

VISA RECEIVED!!!: November 28th, 2013

Beneficiary Arrived!!!: December 5th, 2013

Married December 22nd, 2013

Filing to POE: 8 months, 1 day

Filed AoS application: April 5th, 2014

Received NOA1 in mail: April 11th, 2014 (no text/email)

Received NOA2 in mail: September 2nd, 2014 (still no text/email)

Separated: September 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.