Rwlaird

immigration debate - family rejected for tourist visa

208 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The bond idea fits with what I'm thinking. No effect on tourism -- only require it in cases like ours where they seem to be suspect and would otherwise be rejected. I'd put up a bond. Thanks for finally providing some constructive dialogue. The level could be debatable but the point is that it needs to be sufficiently punitive to ensure their departure. Include a background check on the U.S sponsor as well as an additional fee to cover the administrative cost. I don't like any of this but it is better than our current situation of outright rejection.

The bond idea has been debated at length by the government.

You forget how much some people are willing to pay just to become an illegal immigrant in the US. If some people had the option to put up even a $100,000 bond, they'd gather the money or get a loan shark (basically slave debt labor after they arrive--or even organ extraction [happens every day]) do it just to come and be illegal. It happens all the time: many pay up to $30,000-50,000 for a container-ship journey or otherwise illegal entry to the US.

You are operating under the assumption that these individuals are using their own money AND think that they would mind losing it for a chance to come.

Doesn't work.

In addition, all of these "background checks" and sponsor, etc, etc. suffer from the same problem. Because all of this can be fraudulent, the State Department is down to almost purely subjective measures based on simple interrogation techniques. Some are better trained than others.

Edited by CC90

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let us use the figure of $50,000. Seems the going rate for fraudulent docs from Asia.

The chances are that the Consulates concerned will be in countries lower down the wealth scale. Most of the cases I have seen you wonder how they can afford the air fare never mind come up with $200,000 for my example family of 4.

If they were that comfortable then they are more likely to have the the visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My in laws also want to visit the US. However, after investigating I realized that trying to get them a visitor visa from Ukraine would be nearly impossible. I think your only realistic option is to stop trying at this point and wait until your wife becomes a US citizen. You will have a much easier time and most likely will succeed.

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

What about the tweaking of something like this: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/11/04/canada-to-give-super-visa-to-elderly-immigrants/

with a provision for some pre paid healthcare (by the child in the US) and some responsibility on the child to ensure the parents have no access to public benefits and leave when they're supposed to, otherwise the child loses the ability to eventually become a US citizen?

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Simply accepting that my wife’s parents can’t visit us here in the U.S. and we will always have to load up our family our four (or more later) to go visit them each time or at least until a few years until they can apply for a green card that they don’t want or need – that’s just ridiculous and preposterous.

If you don’t support this then just read it and move on. This legitimate situation applies to a lot of people. That is the point and target of my post – not to hear a lot of irrelevant opinions or debate our situation. Thanks.

Maybe you should change the title of your thread then?

"immigration debate - family rejected for tourist visa"

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

What about the tweaking of something like this: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/11/04/canada-to-give-super-visa-to-elderly-immigrants/

with a provision for some pre paid healthcare (by the child in the US) and some responsibility on the child to ensure the parents have no access to public benefits and leave when they're supposed to, otherwise the child loses the ability to eventually become a US citizen?

I know the last time my Mother visited for a few weeks the Insurance cost was not that much different from the airfare.

Canada restricted the sponsoring of parents to immigrate due to this, I can see other countries following.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

“Holding one person criminally responsible for someone elses crime will never float. Makes no sense whatsoever.” – Really??? Then why did I have to sign an affidavit of support to attest that I would support my wife (then fiance) and ensure that she does not become a public charge?

If someone named Boiler does not know anyone here in the U.S. then this situation does not fit him/her. Our situation concerns family members.

MarknLuz need to read the news. The Senate is debating the bill this week and the House is scheduled to take it up next week.

Simply accepting that my wife’s parents can’t visit us here in the U.S. and we will always have to load up our family our four (or more later) to go visit them each time or at least until a few years until they can apply for a green card that they don’t want or need – that’s just ridiculous and preposterous.

If you don’t support this then just read it and move on. This legitimate situation applies to a lot of people. That is the point and target of my post – not to hear a lot of irrelevant opinions or debate our situation. Thanks.

if you didn't want a debate, then why is the title of your thread

Replying to immigration debate - family rejected for tourist visa

if you didn't want a debate, then why is the title of your thread

Replying to immigration debate - family rejected for tourist visa

I am assuming that the OP is looking for constructive debate. Definetely not the knee jerk reactionary and most unhelpful comments coming ou tof cerftain sectors.

Why are some VJers such mean entities with absolutely no compassion sometimes?

Timeline

What do you mean by constructive?

I am assuming that the OP is looking for constructive debate. Definetely not the knee jerk reactionary and most unhelpful comments coming ou tof cerftain sectors.

laughing.gif

What do you mean by constructive?

It's like porm, when I see it I know it.

Personally I think we'll never have any respponsible immigration policy in thsi country.

There are some lucky folsk that breeze through immigration and never have any issues. NOA2 in 4 weeks, interview at post was mostly discussing football with the petitioner. Those have no concern about immigration adn will think it's being blown out of proportion.

Then there are the folks who haven't ever dealt with immigration. To them there is no issue also.

Then there are sectors like us who have been unfairly denied visa based on nothing but just the blanket BS reason they give out. Like the OP, it's an insult for us to be accused of commiting a thinly veiled felony by trying to circumvent immigration law when we sponsor our relative to apply for a visa. I take the denial of my Fiancee visa under the guise fo no bona fide realtionship very very strongly. It's a direct insult on an American citizen. (I knwo my Fiancee adn OPs parents are not citizen so save that drama).

Immigration is a priviledge and not a right, yes, but let's come up with some new ideas. This is what the OP is suggesting.

Clearly the system is not working. We recently discussed a situation where a visa was approved for a couple who did not even speak the same language and had clear issues of conversing with each other. How is that fair.

So in a round about way. Help OP come up with what may work or go haunt another thread. We already ahve the system stacked up against us, we don't need coforumers piling up too.

Shikena.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You mean only opinions that agrees with the OP's opinion?

Instead if titling this a debate, it should be retitled as "Agree with this or you're an unhelpful idiot."

No debate welcome here. Just a rant because the OP thought he was at Burger Kind and could have immigration his way.

Hell. Look at my first post where I respectfully disagree with the OP and got this response where I should "stop thinking like a government bureaucrat and use common sense."

There is no cordial debate here. Just insults if you disagree.

You mean only opinions that agrees with the OP's opinion?

Instead if titling this a debate, it should be retitled as "Agree with this or you're an unhelpful idiot."

No debate welcome here. Just a rant because the OP thought he was at Burger Kind and could have immigration his way.

Hell. Look at my first post where I respectfully disagree with the OP and got this response where I should "stop thinking like a government bureaucrat and use common sense."

There is no cordial debate here. Just insults if you disagree.

Nope, I typed what I mean. If I meant only opinions that agrees with the OP I would have typed that.

"Hey good buddy I don't think that would work. Why don't you try this instead." is infinetely better than "Been there, done that it won't work. Pack your portmanteau adn shove off to visit the inlaws".

I guess I don't understand why folks can't just be supportive and come up with contstructive ideas instread.

Maybe it's immigration fever setting in.

You Guys carry on.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Nope, I typed what I mean. If I meant only opinions that agrees with the OP I would have typed that.

"Hey good buddy I don't think that would work. Why don't you try this instead." is infinetely better than "Been there, done that it won't work. Pack your portmanteau adn shove off to visit the inlaws".

I guess I don't understand why folks can't just be supportive and come up with contstructive ideas instread.

Maybe it's immigration fever setting in.

You Guys carry on.

What about the OP?

Do you think his responses have been constructive?

He tosses insults whenever someone disagrees.

Timeline

1. It's like porm, when I see it I know it.

2. Then there are sectors like us who have been unfairly denied visa based on nothing but just the blanket BS reason they give out. Like the OP, it's an insult for us to be accused of committing a thinly veiled felony by trying to circumvent immigration law when we sponsor our relative to apply for a visa. I take the denial of my Fiancée visa under the guise of no bona fide relationship very very strongly. It's a direct insult on an American citizen. (I know my Fiancée and OPs parents are not citizen so save that drama).

1. If you hang around this site long enough you may well say the same about visa fraud.

2. It is certainly true that if you are associated with a group where fraud is endemic then you will have issues over and above others. Until NSA develop reliable mind reading devices I do not have an answer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.