Penny Lane

Washington National Cathedral to wed same-sex couples

192 posts in this topic

(CNN) -- When laws went into effect in three states for same-sex couples to marry, many were quick to line up at their city halls to exchange vows. Now they may do so in one of the nation's most prominent churches -- the Washington National Cathedral.

Most Americans know the house of God, also called the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, as a place where sacred rites are carried out on behalf of the nation. It has been host to the funerals of numerous presidents and of inaugural prayer services for four presidents, including Barack Obama.

But it is also an active house of worship in the Episcopalian Church, said the Cathedral's dean, Gary Hall. The denomination has developed a blessing rite that mirrors current wedding ceremonies for heterosexual couples and allows each bishop to decide to allow same-sex marriages in their churches or not.

Bishop Mariann Budde decided to allow the rite, since same-sex marriage is legal in the District of Columbia and now in neighboring Maryland as well, Hall said.

It was Budde's decision that led Hall to create the same-sex rite.

He sees it as "another historic step toward greater equality."

The states of Washington, Maine and Maryland all legalized same-sex marriages in referendums during the 2012 general election. It was already legal in the nation's capital.

In March, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in two appeals cases related to same-sex marriage -- California's Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage and the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which denies federal benefits to same-sex couples.

The American Episcopal Church is intimately connected with the Church of England, which last week approved the advancement of male priests in same-sex committed relationships to the position of bishop. But those relationships must be celibate.

City halls in Baltimore; Portland, Maine; and Seattle erupted in celebration as the first same-sex couples tied the knot in December and January. Seattle's ceremony included 133 couples, who walked outside and down rain-slickened steps afterward, where they were greeted by cheers, confetti and a brass band celebrating the first day same-sex couples could marry in Washington.

To wed at the National Cathedral, one member of the couple must be baptized into the Church, and both must commit to a Christian marriage of "lifelong faithfulness, love, forbearance and mutual comfort."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/us/us-same-sex-weddings/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Damn coconuts, you think the freedom to choose is ridiculous? Your a foreigner in the wrong country then. Freedom to choose is the American way. If you want to be dominated then you need to go somewhere else. Oh wow! I just got a disgusting image in my mind. It is a complete waste of time for a homosexual to believe in God.

I was being sarcastic. This church chose to recognize same sex marriages. Nothing ridiculous about their choice.

And you shouldn't worry about how other people waste their time. Their belief in God isn't about pleasing you.

To wed at the National Cathedral, one member of the couple must be baptized into the Church, and both must commit to a Christian marriage of "lifelong faithfulness, love, forbearance and mutual comfort."

You atheist are the biggest hipocrits i have ever seen! :rofl: Everyday you poison the threads with your anti-God, Anti-Christian propaganda but you clearly support a couple of gays getting married in a christian church! #######!!! You agree with a gay christian (which is biblical impossible) but not a straight christian? You people should be calling out this article about how its ridiculous for any species to be married in any type of a church setting no matter if they worship God, a hippo, a two legged turtle or santa claus.

Filed: Timeline

You atheist are the biggest hipocrits i have ever seen! :rofl: Everyday you poison the threads with your anti-God, Anti-Christian propaganda but you clearly support a couple of gays getting married in a christian church! #######!!! You agree with a gay christian (which is biblical impossible) but not a straight christian? You people should be calling out this article about how its ridiculous for any species to be married in any type of a church setting no matter if they worship God, a hippo, a two legged turtle or santa claus.

If the church chooses to marry homosexuals, what is your problem?

Everyday you poison the threads with your anti-God, Anti-Christian propaganda but you clearly support a couple of gays getting married in a christian church!

that's my choice and having a choice is the american way!

and guess what? i don't believe in god but i fully support your right to believe in whatever you want. awesome how that works, huh.

Edited by val erie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Nope! I believe people have the right to live freely however they want to. Why would a gay couple want to get married before The christain God when the bible clearly speaks against homosexuality? I just think its ridiculous and a waste of time.

The bible has a lot of outdated stuff that has no relevance in the 21st century.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Nope! I believe people have the right to live freely however they want to. Why would a gay couple want to get married before The christain God when the bible clearly speaks against homosexuality? I just think its ridiculous and a waste of time.

are you under the impression that there are no homosexual christians?

Edited by val erie

Filed: Timeline

In this country, we are all free to waste our own time. What is your problem?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ewww. just ewwwww.

I've performed at the National Cathedral over 50 times.

eeeeeeeeeew... just ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... icky...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1357765675' post='5912411]

If the church chooses to marry homosexuals, what is your problem?

well, my personal problem with it, is that it's the National frickin Cathedral.

There be other places to go - why to go there, sully a national monument of the Christian Faith?

Mostly, there be separation of Church and State, but not at that place.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !