Kozmo

Marriage not working out

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she decides to sue you for alimony and the such, then you're obligations will be whatever comes out of that. Otherwise, only what you feel morally obligated to provide. As others have said, legally, a plane ticket home.

Timeline

Obligations will depend. Legal support obligations will depend on state and possibly your situation. Financially all you're immediately obligated to do is whatever you agree together. I would recommend an attorney for both of you. If you're not fighting, at least it would explain your rights and shouldn't cost much (my divorce attorney charged $1,000 plus filing fees since we pretty much agreed) although you can do it yourself for much less IF everything is agreed upon in advance.

As far as USCIS/Department of State is concerned, any ROC is primarily her responsibility at this point. She can do it with or without you. If she receives any government benefits you could be held responsible for repaying them for some time.

Realistically, get your divorce taken care of (your "obligation" is whatever comes out of the divorce discussions/negotiations/litigation) then if she wants to return home, get her a plane ticket. The end.

To do her a favor, you file for the divorce as things could be harder for her in the future if she does it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Our marriage is not and will not work out. She has been here less than 2 years. She wants to return to the Phillippines, what are my obligations?

You have no legal obligations aside from whatever comes from the divorce.

You don't HAVE to buy her a ticket home, legally, but it would be nice of you to do so especially as her abandoning her status means the I-864 would be terminated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

as far as obligation, none.

If you'd like to be nice, though,

you can do two things that can help her:

1. YOU file for divorce. If the USCitizen files, the PI person is allowed to file for annulment in the PI, later.

2. YOU buy her ticket, help her pack, put her on the plane.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Where did you get married?

If you married in the Philippines, file for ANNULMENT of Marriage.

If you married in the US and you filed a Consular Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad at the Philippine Consulate, file for DIVORCE. I'm not sure if filing for annulment should also be done since there's no divorce in the Philippines. (Someone kindly correct me here).

Divorce in USA, make sure you are the one who files for divorce, that way she can have the foreign divorce recognized in the Philippines. You do not file for annulment, she just needs to have the foreign divorce judicially recognized in the Philippines. This is good for you too, that way both can remarry in the Philippines if the want too.

If you can agree on things, you can get divorce papers on the internet, and file them with your court office yourself and save hundreds.

Our marriage is not and will not work out. She has been here less than 2 years. She wants to return to the Phillippines, what are my obligations?

Thanks,

If she can file for removal of conditions and is successful, which she probably will be if she has been here close to two years, you signed a affidavit of support. You may be on the hook for some amount to make sure she is not a burden to the tax payers. As for alimony I doubt a judge would give her anything after only two years.

If she wants a ticket to the PI give her one and pray she goes.

Timeline

Buy two tickets and take her back. Once you get there put her in a cab and then take a vacation... Relax, think and then decide when you get back. You can file from the States while she is in the Phils, pretty easy actually as long as no fight.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Did you adopt your step child? I just read your timeline. If a step child is involved then it may change how you must do things moving forward. If you did not adopt then like others mentioned you should just file for a divorce and move on. No obligations other than state mandated in your specific location.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.