jon&cess

RN in bay area struggling to land a job

15 posts in this topic

I migrated here in the US January 18 earlier this year. Got my RN license February after giving the California BRN my US SSN. Since then, I've been struggling to land a job. I have received calls & even had an actual interview twice (with the same facility) but yeah, no one called back. :crying: I'm getting really depressed & frustrated and doesn't know what else to do. So here I am, hoping someone with a kind heart, would help me & respond to my post.

Here are some of the reasons why I think I wasn't offered the jobs I've applied to. First, I am educated outside the US (Philippines to be exact). Whenever I encounter the question "Did you graduate from an accredited nursing school?" whenever applying for a RN job, honestly, I don't know the answer. I took the NCLEX-RN exam when I was still in the Philippines (March 2010), a month before the California BRN implemented a law not to accept NCLEX applicants without US SSN. I'm still lucky I guess. Second, they, (the employers,) do not acknowledge my outside the US nursing experience. They are always looking for US paid nursing experience (in my understanding, even volunteer work here in the US isn't counted, am I right?). Third, I am a green card holder. Some of the jobs requires US citizenship. And fourth, someone said I am "too young" for the job. I mean, seriously? I am now 23 years old. Maybe I do not look that old but I am definitely not that young. Sigh!

I even applied for non-RN but healthcare related jobs. CNAs, LVNs, medical assistants, activities assistants, medical clerks, etc you name it. I was still hoping for a job close to my field so as not to forget what I've studied. I am not aspiring for a hospital job coz I know it is really impossible for me now. So I applied in different skilled nursing & long term care facilities, clinics. I went to every healthcare institution near to the place where I live and submitted applications, even they aren't looking/hiring.

Whenever applying for any job, I'm always using my RN resume. I know I'll be considered over qualified to work as a CNA or a LVN with my RN license, but that's the truth. Someone even advised me to lie. Just make another resume stating that I'm a highschool graduate (for clerical positions) so that I can get the job. I mean, can I do that? yes, I am desperate to have a job, but to lie in order to get one? I don't really know. I am confused. :wacko:

Anyways, I was just wondering, can a licensed RN take the NA certification/exam? I am willing to take it but not sure if I can be allowed to do so. CNA jobs are a lot more available than RN jobs. I've been unemployed for 10months now. Please help me! :help:

USCIS

04/11/2011 : I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

04/13/2011 : I-130 received/Priority date

07/13/2011 : RFE for G325A (beneficiary)

07/28/2011 : I-130 approved :)

Your I-130 was approved in 106 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

08/08/2011 : NVC received case from USCIS

09/08/2011 : NVC assigned case number

09/09/2011 : Paid AOS bill

09/14/2011 : Paid IV bill

09/22/2011 : Submitted AOS and IV packets via USPS Priority Mail

09/26/2011 : NVC received AOS and IV packets

10/03/2011 : checklist cover letter #4 - AOS line 25 being questioned

10/11/2011 : Response to RFE sent via USPS Priority Mail

10/11/2011 : checklist cover letter #5 - IV application OK! :) -NVC still waiting for RFE response

10/13/2011 : NVC received RFE reponse and now, we WAIT! :D

10/24/2011 : CASE COMPLETED! Thank you LORD! :D

11/02/2011 : Interview date confirmed via operator! <3

11/03/2011 : Interview appointment email received!

Your interview took 240 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

US EMBASSY MANILA

11/16/2011 : Medical Exam - SLEC DAY 1

11/17/2011 : Medical Exam - SLEC DAY 2 : PASSED! :D

12/09/2011 : Interview @ USEM Manila : APPROVED

12/16/2011 : Visa on hand! <3

USA

01/18/2012 : POE @ SFO

02/10/2012 : Green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have you considered going to your local comunity college and enroling courses?

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Have you considered going to your local comunity college and enroling courses?

Enroll to what courses? Do you mean CNA/LVN programs?

USCIS

NVC

10/11/2011 : checklist cover letter #5 - IV application OK! :) -NVC still waiting for RFE response

US EMBASSY MANILA

USA

Have you had your resume evaluated by a professional agency? They could also help in interview coaching, and explain to you what accredited is so you know how to answer. Basically, they want to know if your degree is real or from some fake online university, and if you reply "uhhhhhhh" then it doesn't look good :) I bet an evaluation would do wonders.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You might want to consider jobs outside your field of knowledge ("odd" jobs so to speak). That's the easiest way to acquire a "US" working experience that you can add on your CV.

It's not easy to be an immigrant to a foreign country, you really have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Have you considered walking in to the Hospitals in your area, going direct to HR, and applying?

Face time, IMO, makes a world of difference.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I migrated here in the US January 18 earlier this year. Got my RN license February after giving the California BRN my US SSN. Since then, I've been struggling to land a job. I have received calls & even had an actual interview twice (with the same facility) but yeah, no one called back. :crying: I'm getting really depressed & frustrated and doesn't know what else to do. So here I am, hoping someone with a kind heart, would help me & respond to my post.

Here are some of the reasons why I think I wasn't offered the jobs I've applied to. First, I am educated outside the US (Philippines to be exact). Whenever I encounter the question "Did you graduate from an accredited nursing school?" whenever applying for a RN job, honestly, I don't know the answer. I took the NCLEX-RN exam when I was still in the Philippines (March 2010), a month before the California BRN implemented a law not to accept NCLEX applicants without US SSN. I'm still lucky I guess. Second, they, (the employers,) do not acknowledge my outside the US nursing experience. They are always looking for US paid nursing experience (in my understanding, even volunteer work here in the US isn't counted, am I right?). Third, I am a green card holder. Some of the jobs requires US citizenship. And fourth, someone said I am "too young" for the job. I mean, seriously? I am now 23 years old. Maybe I do not look that old but I am definitely not that young. Sigh!

I even applied for non-RN but healthcare related jobs. CNAs, LVNs, medical assistants, activities assistants, medical clerks, etc you name it. I was still hoping for a job close to my field so as not to forget what I've studied. I am not aspiring for a hospital job coz I know it is really impossible for me now. So I applied in different skilled nursing & long term care facilities, clinics. I went to every healthcare institution near to the place where I live and submitted applications, even they aren't looking/hiring.

Whenever applying for any job, I'm always using my RN resume. I know I'll be considered over qualified to work as a CNA or a LVN with my RN license, but that's the truth. Someone even advised me to lie. Just make another resume stating that I'm a highschool graduate (for clerical positions) so that I can get the job. I mean, can I do that? yes, I am desperate to have a job, but to lie in order to get one? I don't really know. I am confused. :wacko:

Anyways, I was just wondering, can a licensed RN take the NA certification/exam? I am willing to take it but not sure if I can be allowed to do so. CNA jobs are a lot more available than RN jobs. I've been unemployed for 10months now. Please help me! :help:

This seems to be happening a LOT. About 7 years ago, nurses were in HIGH demand and hired right out of school. Now, jobs are disappearing.

You are going to have to check your local state ordinances about obtaining a CNA certification. Some states require you to have completed a state recognized course before you can take the written exam. You may be able to "challenge" the test as well. So, contact your state Dept. of Health: Heathcare Professionals License and Credentials Department and ask what your options are.

If you HAVE to take a CNA job, you may be able to use that as a starting point in a company/organization to obtain a job as an RN after you prove your skills and experience with them. Might be able to transfer job titles within the organization is what I'm ATTEMPTING to say. I know a few nurses from other countries who had to start that way.

Something will work out for you soon if you keep trying!

Good luck! :thumbs:

Have you had your resume evaluated by a professional agency? They could also help in interview coaching, and explain to you what accredited is so you know how to answer. Basically, they want to know if your degree is real or from some fake online university, and if you reply "uhhhhhhh" then it doesn't look good :) I bet an evaluation would do wonders.

Good luck.

This is the first time I've encountered that a resume can be evaluated by a professional agency. Hmmm.

You might want to consider jobs outside your field of knowledge ("odd" jobs so to speak). That's the easiest way to acquire a "US" working experience that you can add on your CV.

It's not easy to be an immigrant to a foreign country, you really have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Good luck.

Hi apple 21. Uhm, I know what you meant by starting at the bottom and work my way up. That's why I am considering on taking the NA certification/exam. The employers weren't just looking for US working experience but a "US paid nursing experience". I was really hoping and looking for a medical/nursing/healthcare related job. I'm not really after the pay/salary. All I wanted is a job that can serve as my stepping stone for my RN profession.

Have you considered walking in to the Hospitals in your area, going direct to HR, and applying?

Face time, IMO, makes a world of difference.

Hello there Darnell! And to answer your question, yes, I already did. I went to every possible hospital, skilled nursing and long term care facility and clinic near me. Even tough they weren't looking/hiring, I still fill out application forms and hand them over my resume.

This seems to be happening a LOT. About 7 years ago, nurses were in HIGH demand and hired right out of school. Now, jobs are disappearing.

You are going to have to check your local state ordinances about obtaining a CNA certification. Some states require you to have completed a state recognized course before you can take the written exam. You may be able to "challenge" the test as well. So, contact your state Dept. of Health: Heathcare Professionals License and Credentials Department and ask what your options are.

If you HAVE to take a CNA job, you may be able to use that as a starting point in a company/organization to obtain a job as an RN after you prove your skills and experience with them. Might be able to transfer job titles within the organization is what I'm ATTEMPTING to say. I know a few nurses from other countries who had to start that way.

Something will work out for you soon if you keep trying!

Good luck! :thumbs:

I sent my query to the California Department of Public Health. I asked them whether a licensed RN can take the NA certification/exam. I am now waiting for their response to my email. And yes, that's what I also have in mind. It'll be easier for me to transfer job titles if I am already inside the institution.

USCIS

NVC

US EMBASSY MANILA

USA

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

experience experience :bonk: you need to have a concrete experience. just upgrade ur profession it will be easier to get a job.

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Started around 2009--before that New grads could pretty much start where ever they wanted! And of course it matters where you live. Some areas of the USA are short--while others have an abundance of RN's. have you checked out allnurses.com Informative site. Always good to have some one look over your resume. Best of luck.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Have you thought of leaving Cali maybe things are a bit to tough there how about some other state go online and take a look at indeed . com plenty of RN jobs there you know when ever a state has a glut of workers on hand they get very picky .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I suggest interview coaching and a resume review.

I don't see why you would need another certification to work as a CNA. It could be your area. I'm in a heavily flooded area for nurses and nursing schools and we still have jobs. Maybe working as a volunteer at the hospital would be beneficial.

Goodwill offers resume review and interview coaching and even help finding jobs.

http://www.goodwill.org/goodwill-for-you/specialized-services/immigrants/

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello,

i recommend you to apply for the entri level position as a medical assistant or nurse assistant , because you have cero experience in this country...America health services are different, it is not the same . You really need to receive some instruccion in the community college, also you need your GED, you know that GED is requiered. I know you are a nurse in Phili but now you are in america , things are different here.

I am a dentist in peru , therefore I am working as a dental assistant for 9 months. I work with mexicans patients. you should contact a PHILI community and try to looking for a job there.

good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

you might ant to check this out. :)http://seeker.healthcallings.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=101&dockey=xml/1/6/160dcd74862222f5412099dc4b8647df@endecaindex&c=1&source=21&CMPID=AG_SH_PD_JS_AV_OG__&utm_source=SimplyHired&utm_medium=Aggregator&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Advocacy_Ongoing&DFA=1&cmpid=AG:4

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.