Jeff A

Newbie - K1 Visa for my Romanian Girlfriend

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

First, let me say that I am a complete newbie to all of this, and that I want to thank everyone in advance for having patience with me and offering advice.

I am dating and completely in love with a beautiful lady from Romania. We have talked at length several times about the future, and we have agreed that we would like to get married and have her come live here in Florida with me. I have three children from a previous marriage, and she doesn't want me to leave them to be in Romania with her. She is currently finishing up her masters degree, and will be done at the end of Summer 2013. It is at that point that we would like her to come here to the United States so that we can get married. I have looked into sites like RapidVisa or contacting a lawyer, but from reading posts here, it seems that the process could be done without those.

But I have a lot of questions, and hope some of you will be willing to help me.

First - Proof of the Relationship:

Simmy and I met online. I hope that this is not something that is frowned upon. We met in a chat room, and since then it has progressed from their to emailing and talking on yahoo messenger. Then we exchanged telephone numbers, and we talk all the time. I usually call her because the expense is not something that she can afford right now. After we talked for several months, we agreed that I would come to visit her, and I did in July 2012. We had a wonderful time together, and I have several pictures of us together. I also gave her an iPad, and we continue to talk on the phone, via Yahoo, but also now through iMessage and Facetime.

1. Will it be frowned upon because we met online at first?

2. She doesn't email a lot, and most of our chats are via Yahoo or iMessage. Will these be accepted as proof of the relationship?

3. The pictures I took of us together are digital, but show us together. Are these going to be acceptable as proof of relationship?

Second - Timing:

If we want to try to accomplish all of this by the end of August 2013, I should start the process now, right?

Third - Passport

She currently does not have a passport. She is going to get one right after Christmas. Can I start the process now, even though she doesn't have a passport?

Fourth - Parents

She is okay with getting married in the United States but really wants her parents to be able to come here. Will I be able to get the a tourist visa to come to the wedding?

I am going back to see her again in January, and will make sure I take a lot more pictures of us together.

I look forward to the responses from all those who are willing to help. I really love this young lady, and want to be able to get through the Visa process.

Thanks,

-Jeff

- Jeff

I-129F Package Mailed: 01/18/2013
NOA1 (VERMONT): 01/25/2013

TRANSFER TO TSC: 06/21/2013

NOA2 (TEXAS): 07/09/2013

SENT TO NVC: 07/24/2013

NVC RECEIVED: 08/02/2013

NVC LEFT: 08/06/2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

welcome to Vj btw.. yes you should be fine,,, not frowned at all its bcoz u just met online, not at all.. I think you can even print some of those messages or chats you have from yahoo..pictures together,.. yes,, you should include that too.. and if you want to accomplish it now.. yes you should start it right away coz you said your from Florida and I think your center would be VSC which is sometimes it was slow.and yes she must obtain a passport for her to be able to travel to US and yes you can also start the process eventhough she dont have passport yet, thats not a problem..yes you can even apply for tourist visa for her parents..goodluck to your process and hey a piece of advice do some advance research too for you to undertsnd how the petition goes okay :) goodluck and god bless us all

OH MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT SIN, PLS PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO thee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you can even take a look for this one for you to have an idea

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides

OH MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT SIN, PLS PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO thee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Her parents appy for their own visas.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Do I really need to include copies of our emails, instant messages, and my telephone bills? Or will my flight coupons, flight receipt, and hotel receipt plus the pictures of us being together be more than enough proof of the existing relationship?

- Jeff

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First...most people have met online through one form or another. I met my fiancee initially online. Any proof of relationship, including chat logs, are acceptable. And digital pictures can still be printed and submitted as evidence ;)

Second...the process could take at least 5 months to receive an approval on your petition plus another month or 2 to get an interview date. You would be wise to start now, because it still may take longer than next Aug to get the visa.

Third...she doesnt need a passport until after you receive an approval on your I-129f petition, so she can wait a few months--no big hurry.

Fourth...you will not be able to help her parents get a tourist visa to come here. They have to apply on their own.

Hope this helps!!!

Timeline

Okay, I have not officially given her an engagement ring because she wants me to do it in August 2013, when her parents will be in Bucharest. They live and work in Italy, and she is by herself in Bucharest. That is the only thing that hasn't happened yet for the engagement. She really wants me to do it in front of them, but for all other purposes we are engaged.

- Jeff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

welcome to Vj btw.. yes you should be fine,,, not frowned at all its bcoz u just met online, not at all.. I think you can even print some of those messages or chats you have from yahoo..pictures together,.. yes,, you should include that too.. and if you want to accomplish it now.. yes you should start it right away coz you said your from Florida and I think your center would be VSC which is sometimes it was slow.and yes she must obtain a passport for her to be able to travel to US and yes you can also start the process eventhough she dont have passport yet, thats not a problem..yes you can even apply for tourist visa for her parents..goodluck to your process and hey a piece of advice do some advance research too for you to undertsnd how the petition goes okay :) goodluck and god bless us all

:thumbs::yes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No

2. She doesn't email a lot, and most of our chats are via Yahoo or iMessage. Will these be accepted as proof of the relationship?

Sure, but why not start emailing tonight? Purposefully generate different types of evidence, on purpose, even if you don't normally do it. Get the Hint?

3. The pictures I took of us together are digital, but show us together. Are these going to be acceptable as proof of relationship?

No, most photos are digital these days, few folks use film.

Second - Timing:

If we want to try to accomplish all of this by the end of August 2013, I should start the process now, right?

If you mail your petition in tomorrow, you might make next August, but that would be pushing it.

Third - Passport

She currently does not have a passport. She is going to get one right after Christmas. Can I start the process now, even though she doesn't have a passport?

Why not start tomorrow? She NEEDS that passport before the interview.

Fourth - Parents

She is okay with getting married in the United States but really wants her parents to be able to come here. Will I be able to get the a tourist visa to come to the wedding?

You don't have anything to say in that process. They need to apply for it. Hard to say if they will be granted to them. Have them try for one now just to see.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Jeff,

Congratulations!

As others have said, meeting on line is not a problem. just keep plenty of proof of the times you have met in person. Save your boarding passes, ticket stubs, etc.

If you are looking at getting married in August I would start the paper work now. My husband and I got married this past August and We sent our petition in Nov.2011. You should take a look at my time line- we did not get any RFE- and the process went smooth for us.

You can print your messanger and skype logs that show time and dates of your phone calls. You may want to make an effort to email or send of few snail mail cards to have for evidence.

As far as the engagement ring goes, you do not have to have one, but Bucharest is one of the consulates that tends to ask about it in the interview.

I flew to bucharest to be with my now hubby for his interview and they asked to see my ring (others going thru the process from Romania had warned me they would ask) If you read the reviews for the romania consulate it is very helpful in knowing what they will be looking for.

Her parents can apply for a tourist visa - but they will need to show very strong ties to their country. Make sure they show plenty of proof that they intend to return to Romania. My husband was denied a tourist visa twice. We had not found the vj site at that time and didn't know when he applied for one that it would be that difficult.

If you follow the guides and forums on this site, you should be able to do the paperwork yourself. If you have any questions -you can message me - I would be happy to help if I can

Good luck on your visa journey!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Do I really need to include copies of our emails, instant messages, and my telephone bills? Or will my flight coupons, flight receipt, and hotel receipt plus the pictures of us being together be more than enough proof of the existing relationship?

Hi, welcome! and yes, you have to include those, not the whole thing, just a nice sample that shows you guys have been in a relationship and it's also ongoing. My fiance and I included 10 IM conversations, around 18 photos, boarding passes, etc. Basically anything that you guys feel shows you've been/are in a relationship. Good luck :) And yeah if you want to be done around august, i'd stay start now. But i'd only do it if this is what you guys really, really want and you're 150% sure you wanna be together and married.

09/25/2012: Sent I-129F
10/02/2012: NOA1
12/11/2012: Touched - alien registration number changed
04/01/2013: Touched - not sure what happened here, only the date changed
04/05/2013: Touched - petitioner's address was changed

05/26/2013: RFE - letter of intent was not signed by beneficiary

05/14/2013: I-129F Approved

06/03/2013: Case forwarded to Consulate

08/27/2013: Interview - Approved!

09/05/2013: Visa in hands

11/01/2013: Moved to the US (POE Miami)

12/03/2013: We got married!! heart.gif

01/06/2014: AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox

01/17/2014: NOA1

02/13/2014: Biometrics appointment

03/13/2014: EAD and AP approved

04/22/2014: Case touched, change of address

04/30/2014: Notice of potential interview waiver case received

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZTZum5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

First, let me say that I am a complete newbie to all of this, and that I want to thank everyone in advance for having patience with me and offering advice.

I am dating and completely in love with a beautiful lady from Romania. We have talked at length several times about the future, and we have agreed that we would like to get married and have her come live here in Florida with me. I have three children from a previous marriage, and she doesn't want me to leave them to be in Romania with her. She is currently finishing up her masters degree, and will be done at the end of Summer 2013. It is at that point that we would like her to come here to the United States so that we can get married. I have looked into sites like RapidVisa or contacting a lawyer, but from reading posts here, it seems that the process could be done without those.

But I have a lot of questions, and hope some of you will be willing to help me.

First - Proof of the Relationship:

Simmy and I met online. I hope that this is not something that is frowned upon. We met in a chat room, and since then it has progressed from their to emailing and talking on yahoo messenger. Then we exchanged telephone numbers, and we talk all the time. I usually call her because the expense is not something that she can afford right now. After we talked for several months, we agreed that I would come to visit her, and I did in July 2012. We had a wonderful time together, and I have several pictures of us together. I also gave her an iPad, and we continue to talk on the phone, via Yahoo, but also now through iMessage and Facetime.

Second - Timing:

Third - Passport

Fourth - Parents

I am going back to see her again in January, and will make sure I take a lot more pictures of us together.

I look forward to the responses from all those who are willing to help. I really love this young lady, and want to be able to get through the Visa process.

Thanks,

-Jeff

I met my husband online, it is not something uncommon at all anymore, it wasn't an issue with us. The thing that will be an issue is that you have only met once in real life. You should make at least one more visit, for a substantial amount of time before filing(I see you will return in January). I met my husband online, but I had 4 visits to see him within 9 months, with the shortest visit being 16 days, the longest being 5 weeks. You will need more than pictures to prove a bona fide relationship. Follow the guides at the top of this page. You cannot "get" a visitor visa for anyone, her parents must apply and get the visa on their own merits. Good luck

Edited by mimolicious

I met Tita online and visited her 2 times in the Philippines. I took lots of pictures and supplied some texts of out messenger conversations and all was fine. I even furnished a copy of the receipt of the engagement ring purchase. She came over on a K1 we had a small civil ceremony here in 2007 and had a nice church wedding in Philippines in 2011, which her parents really appreciated.

All this said, you might consider K3, marry there for her parents if it looks like tourist visa might be a problem. Very important to do the right thing for her parents. Remember the immigration process should never drive decisions as much as the way you treat your wife and her family, that will last forever. May God bless you +++

Met Tita 2004-10-31

I-129F Sent 2006-03-22 - Tita Arrives 2007-03-14 (360 days total)

Civil Marriage 2007-03-23

Catholic Ceremony in Philippines January 2011

Applied for Citizenship May 02, 2012

Citizenship Oath Election Day November 6, 2012

Hoping to retire in Philippines 2022

Glory to God in all things for his Timeline is always perfect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.