Jeff A

Newbie - K1 Visa for my Romanian Girlfriend

35 posts in this topic

Okay, I have not officially given her an engagement ring because she wants me to do it in August 2013, when her parents will be in Bucharest. They live and work in Italy, and she is by herself in Bucharest. That is the only thing that hasn't happened yet for the engagement. She really wants me to do it in front of them, but for all other purposes we are engaged.

Jeff, if u both want to get engagement in Aug-2013, then it means u will get ur K1 visa approval around in Jan-Feb-2014, so it seems long time to start ur life, all other VJs already informed u in well manner so follow all that.

Best of Luck.

event.png

event.png

192230.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The thing that will be an issue is that you have only met once in real life.

No one can make this statement. My wife and I met in person only once and that was not an issue.

You should make at least one more visit,

I will admit it does help. but is not a requirement or does it guarantee anything.

You will need more than pictures to prove a bona fide relationship.

Yes very true. You should be able to submit many types of evidences, when all put together, will prove to a total stranger (the Embassy CO) that you two are in a legit relationship. Specifically generate many types of evidences to help; many folks don't understand this requirement and some have troubles because they only chat or only SMS or only talk on the phone and have nothing else.

FYou cannot "get" a visitor visa for anyone, her parents must apply and get the visa on their own merits.

As I stated also. What you CAN do is to draft an invitation letter stating the reasons for their visa request and that you will provide room and board and that on a specific date you till take them back to the airport and ensure they return home within the visa limitations.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Welcome to VJ! Also take some time to research additional evidence to include in your petition eg G325A, letters of intent, divorce decrees,etc. Good Luck (F)

K1 Visa - Dates in UK format

02/05/2012 I-129F Sent
07/05/2012 I-129F NOA1
02/11/2012 I-129F NOA2
14/11/2012 NVC Left
29/11/2012 Packet 3 Received
07/12/2012 Medical
12/12/2012 Packet 3 Sent
30/01/2013 Packet 4 Received
20/02/2013 Interview Date - Approved!
28/02/2013 Visa Received
03/06/2013 US Entry smile.png

22/06/2013 Marriage (Beautiful day) heart.gifrose.gif

AOS & EAD - Dates in US format

07/29/2013 Filing date

08/06/2013 NOA1

08/28/2013 Biometrics Apt

06/23/2014 Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Visit her and her university. I suspect something fishy here.

Why would there be something fishy here? I have already been there, met her, seen her school, her apartment, etc. Explain what you mean please.

- Jeff

I-129F Package Mailed: 01/18/2013
NOA1 (VERMONT): 01/25/2013

TRANSFER TO TSC: 06/21/2013

NOA2 (TEXAS): 07/09/2013

SENT TO NVC: 07/24/2013

NVC RECEIVED: 08/02/2013

NVC LEFT: 08/06/2013

Timeline

Visit her and her university. I suspect something fishy here.

Why would there be something fishy here? I have already been there, met her, seen her school, her apartment, etc. Explain what you mean please.

- Jeff

Timeline

@ Baron555

I really wish that I could have gone more times to see her, but we have been talking for a very long time, and we didn't really decide about the future until after the July 2012 trip. It was during this trip that we really bonded even further, and moved to the point that we talked about the future. She decided she wanted to come here because I have three children and she didn't want to take me away from them. I work a full time job that requires me to travel across the USA quite a bit this year, plus two trips to Australia. I went when I could, and also when it would also work the best with her work and school schedules.

I am going back again in January 2013 for 10 days. That is the longest period of time that work will let me be away for. I plan on making sure I save all my flight coupons, boarding passes etc.

The big problem I have right now is that I don't have my boarding passes and hotel bill from the trip in July 2012. I have requested from Delta and Marriott copies of my itinerary and proof that I took the flights. I also printed out my Delta Skymiles account information that shows I took the flights to get there and back. I also printed out the Marriott Rewards information that shows what days I checked in and out of the hotel in Bucharest. I have copies of my passport that shows that I entered Romania on July 25, 2012 and left on July 29, 2012. It was a short trip, yes, because I had to get back to work and they wouldn't let me take more time off. I have several pictures of us together during the trip, but not a lot of receipts. Those of you who have been to Romania know that it is still mostly a CASH economy and I was even warned not to use my credit cards unless absolutely necessary.

As far as proof of the relationship, I have printed out my skype logs, my yahoo messenger logs, my verizon telephone bills, my yahoo emails, plus the copies from my passport showing the dates I was in Bucharest. This and about 10 pictures of us together there. It's over 400 pages of information so far, and I'm still not done with my skype logs. I am hoping that will be more than enough proof of the relationship.

I also want to clarify that we are engaged to each other. She does not have the ring because she insists that I give her the ring in front of her parents when I go back again in August. They live in Italy, and only come back once a year in August. I have talked to her about this several times, and she really wants the ring to be presented in front of her parents. I am trying to do the best thing here for her too, since I know she will give up a lot by having a wedding in the USA with me (no friends, no family, etc.).

- Jeff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It may be the way it was written.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@ Baron555

I really wish that I could have gone more times to see her, but we have been talking for a very long time, and we didn't really decide about the future until after the July 2012 trip. It was during this trip that we really bonded even further, and moved to the point that we talked about the future. She decided she wanted to come here because I have three children and she didn't want to take me away from them. I work a full time job that requires me to travel across the USA quite a bit this year, plus two trips to Australia. I went when I could, and also when it would also work the best with her work and school schedules.

I am going back again in January 2013 for 10 days. That is the longest period of time that work will let me be away for. I plan on making sure I save all my flight coupons, boarding passes etc.

The big problem I have right now is that I don't have my boarding passes and hotel bill from the trip in July 2012. I have requested from Delta and Marriott copies of my itinerary and proof that I took the flights. I also printed out my Delta Skymiles account information that shows I took the flights to get there and back. I also printed out the Marriott Rewards information that shows what days I checked in and out of the hotel in Bucharest. I have copies of my passport that shows that I entered Romania on July 25, 2012 and left on July 29, 2012. It was a short trip, yes, because I had to get back to work and they wouldn't let me take more time off. I have several pictures of us together during the trip, but not a lot of receipts. Those of you who have been to Romania know that it is still mostly a CASH economy and I was even warned not to use my credit cards unless absolutely necessary.

As far as proof of the relationship, I have printed out my skype logs, my yahoo messenger logs, my verizon telephone bills, my yahoo emails, plus the copies from my passport showing the dates I was in Bucharest. This and about 10 pictures of us together there. It's over 400 pages of information so far, and I'm still not done with my skype logs. I am hoping that will be more than enough proof of the relationship.

I also want to clarify that we are engaged to each other. She does not have the ring because she insists that I give her the ring in front of her parents when I go back again in August. They live in Italy, and only come back once a year in August. I have talked to her about this several times, and she really wants the ring to be presented in front of her parents. I am trying to do the best thing here for her too, since I know she will give up a lot by having a wedding in the USA with me (no friends, no family, etc.).

You will be fine with the evidence you have and when you go back take more pictures save your boarding pass and hotel reservation too. You dont have to submit all your conversations but save them do a few conversations from each month to prove you have an ongoing relationship. Copies of your phone bill if you skype or anything like that do some screen shots. Does she interact with your kids when you talk to her? If you have conversations between her and them that will show you are building a family life together. The requirement for the K1 visa is that you have to meet face to face at least 1 time in the 2 years prior to filing. As far as being from Florida and processing in Vermont. I am in Florida did the spousal visa and we processed in California., The K1's do seem to take longer. Also dont get to concerned about the random comments about "sounds fishy" there is always some one that wants to point out possible negative in someone else's relationship. Some are with good intention because there is alot of visa fraud committed but dont take it personal take it as they mean well. And welcome to VJ and I wish you a smooth and quick journey...

event.png

event.png

Jeff -

You are a very lucky man and I congratulate you both! If you start the process now, with current processing times you should have no problem with her k-1 visa by 8/2013. Also, since Romania is part of the EU her parents should be able to come here with no issues on their passport for 90 days without having to have a visa or anything of that sort. In fact, if your fiancee wanted (or could) visit before her k-1 visa is issued that should be no problem either. Best of luck to you both!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

This information is incorrect!

While Romania is part of the EU it is not part of the Visa Waiver Program. Both her and her parents would need a tourist visa to visit here. Obtaining a tourist visa is not always easy. My fiance was denied twice - there are many threads on this forum discussing this issue. You must be able to show strong ties to your country and prove that you will be returning home to Romania.

Edited by agrabs

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Timeline

Jeff -

You are a very lucky man and I congratulate you both! If you start the process now, with current processing times you should have no problem with her k-1 visa by 8/2013. Also, since Romania is part of the EU her parents should be able to come here with no issues on their passport for 90 days without having to have a visa or anything of that sort. In fact, if your fiancee wanted (or could) visit before her k-1 visa is issued that should be no problem either. Best of luck to you both!!

??????????????????

VWP and EU are not synonymous.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I know that she is not part of the VISA waiver program, and she would have to get a tourist visa to visit. She is very busy with her masters degree, that is why we agreed for me to go visit her in Bucharest. It is a lot SIMPLER for a US citizen to visit Romania, then it is for a Romanian citizen to visit the US. Maybe someday they will be a part of the waiver program.

I know I cannot get her parents or best friend a tourist visa, but I can submit a letter for each of them stating the purpose of their visit (wedding) and that I will be covering the expenses for them while they are visiting. Her parents live in Italy, but I still think they have Romanian passports.

The hotel sent me a copy of my bill, so I have that covered now for my proof of visiting her. Now I am just waiting on what Delta can give me.

I hope to put the paperwork in the mail in two weeks. She is working on her part and going to mail them to me on Monday.

And for all of you that say things sound fishy, why must people cast doubt on people? I don't think people would go through all this heartache and expense for nothing. Look at your own situation if you are here, and tell me if you thought it sounded fishy when you were going through the process.

Thanks, Jeff

- Jeff

Timeline

For a Visitor Visa, much better that they pay their own way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.