JStarr

K-1 Visa Marriage Failure

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

First, I really appreciate this website. It was very helpful in assisting me during the K-1 Visa process. I met an Ethiopain in Bahrain while serving overseas. At the time it all seemed right and I made the decision to ask for her hand in marriage. At the time I thought we both wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Unfortunetely, my marriage to the woman I love so dearly has failed. Reading the other blogs, I see that what has happened to me is a common occurance.

My wife arrived here (in the US) on the 8th of August 2012. Due to Hurricane Issac, our marriage was delayed over a week. We finally where married on the 12th of Sept (happiest day of my life). Soon after the wedding things begin to go down hill. My wife demanded that I buy her a ticket to Florida to visit a man I had never met or talked to before, 7 days after our wedding. She claimed he was her brother and that she had to travel to Orlando the first week of October. Before that time, she had never mentioned she had family in the states. She told me that if I didn't buy the ticket, he would. So trying to be a good husband, I volunteered to buy the ticket.

In order to buy the ticket, I needed to know where she was going to fly to in Florida. My wife became angry when I asked, stating that I didn't need know where she was going. Finally, she told me to buy a ticket to Orlando. As the travel date approached, I got more concerned. I told I was cancalling the ticket and we could reschedule. She became irate and demanded divorce and to be sent back to Ethiopia. Later that tonight she had a panic attack and I had to take her to the ER. The next day we agreed to divorce. The following day, she apologized and said she wanted to stay with me.

The next week, October 5th 2012, I took my wife out on a dinner date. Before the night ended, she asked to go out to bar hop and dance on bourbon st. While dancing a man grabbed my wife's rear-end. I confronted the man and me and my wife exited the club. When I told her the night was over, she became very and demanded a divorce and to be sent back to Ethiopia. She refused to come home with me and attacked me with her shoes. I called the police for help. The police could help me. After the police left, my wife went to another police station and filed a complaint siting abuse. The police did not press charges against me. She is in womens shelter now (I believe). Initially, I attempted to reconcile but my wife rejected all efforts. This has been without a doubt, the worst month of my life.

My wife (with help from the womens shelther) put a temporary restraining order against early this month. I in turn, hired a lawyer. The lies enclosed within the temporary restaining order were jaw dropping. We recently went to court and it appears my wifes lawyer want to settle for mutual restraining order and want to stay in the U.S (I have not for filed for AOS; as I didn't have the marriage certificate yet). The lawyer mentioned my wife wanted to stay in the U.S and maybe working on a work visa or she could attempt to use VAWA as well to stay in the country. I recently filed for divorce and updated USCIS/ICE on this matter.

Any other thoughts on what I can do for this situation?

Filed: Timeline

Divorce her, do not reconcile and move on.

PS: I would personally be most upset at you if you allow her to be near you enough to file a new charge of VAWA. Based on what you wrote this person is dangerous.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Her actions don't seem too rational, meaning as a scammer she has not thought through her plan very carefully. The first panic attack she had wasn't set up well within a VAWA fraud framework. She would have needed to blame you for the hospitalization in order to tie it in to a VAWA claim. But she's clearly trying that route now.

Anyone pulling this kind of VAWA fraud is also capable of tricking you into meeting her or allowing her into your place without others present or sneaking into your place with nefarious intent. Change the locks.

Divorce, inform USCIS about your suspected fraud, and move on. It seems your courtship and marriage was brief so she may have trouble with VAWA - she still has to prove a legitimate relationship and good faith marriage. Do not be alone with her again.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

Sorry man,I have been reading similar trend all over and it looks like many people don't want a commitment in a relationship anymore.

But hey, you advice yourself and move on.it is good you didn't file the AOS yet. You can proceed get your divorce decree and sent copies to USCIS withdrawing your petition and voiding it.i thought she wanna go back to where she from...why the hell is she thinking of vawa? She a con and avoid her tricks...

First, I really appreciate this website. It was very helpful in assisting me during the K-1 Visa process. I met an Ethiopain in Bahrain while serving overseas. At the time it all seemed right and I made the decision to ask for her hand in marriage. At the time I thought we both wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Unfortunetely, my marriage to the woman I love so dearly has failed. Reading the other blogs, I see that what has happened to me is a common occurance.

My wife arrived here (in the US) on the 8th of August 2012. Due to Hurricane Issac, our marriage was delayed over a week. We finally where married on the 12th of Sept (happiest day of my life). Soon after the wedding things begin to go down hill. My wife demanded that I buy her a ticket to Florida to visit a man I had never met or talked to before, 7 days after our wedding. She claimed he was her brother and that she had to travel to Orlando the first week of October. Before that time, she had never mentioned she had family in the states. She told me that if I didn't buy the ticket, he would. So trying to be a good husband, I volunteered to buy the ticket.

In order to buy the ticket, I needed to know where she was going to fly to in Florida. My wife became angry when I asked, stating that I didn't need know where she was going. Finally, she told me to buy a ticket to Orlando. As the travel date approached, I got more concerned. I told I was cancalling the ticket and we could reschedule. She became irate and demanded divorce and to be sent back to Ethiopia. Later that tonight she had a panic attack and I had to take her to the ER. The next day we agreed to divorce. The following day, she apologized and said she wanted to stay with me.

The next week, October 5th 2012, I took my wife out on a dinner date. Before the night ended, she asked to go out to bar hop and dance on bourbon st. While dancing a man grabbed my wife's rear-end. I confronted the man and me and my wife exited the club. When I told her the night was over, she became very and demanded a divorce and to be sent back to Ethiopia. She refused to come home with me and attacked me with her shoes. I called the police for help. The police could help me. After the police left, my wife went to another police station and filed a complaint siting abuse. The police did not press charges against me. She is in womens shelter now (I believe). Initially, I attempted to reconcile but my wife rejected all efforts. This has been without a doubt, the worst month of my life.

My wife (with help from the womens shelther) put a temporary restraining order against early this month. I in turn, hired a lawyer. The lies enclosed within the temporary restaining order were jaw dropping. We recently went to court and it appears my wifes lawyer want to settle for mutual restraining order and want to stay in the U.S (I have not for filed for AOS; as I didn't have the marriage certificate yet). The lawyer mentioned my wife wanted to stay in the U.S and maybe working on a work visa or she could attempt to use VAWA as well to stay in the country. I recently filed for divorce and updated USCIS/ICE on this matter.

Any other thoughts on what I can do for this situation?

Sorry man,I have been reading similar trend all over and it looks like many people don't want a commitment in a relationship anymore.

But hey, you advice yourself and move on.it is good you didn't file the AOS yet. You can proceed get your divorce decree and sent copies to USCIS withdrawing your petition and voiding it.i thought she wanna go back to where she from...why the hell is she thinking of vawa? She a con and avoid her tricks...

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Dont be around this delilah ever by yourself, she had that plan B4 she got there,

her boyfriend was giving her instructions how to use U ;the marriage was a fraud & U should inform uscis of that too, buddy some know how to scam but not to hide, a good scammer would have waited to the end, but luckily you found she is a fraud, dont let her wriggle herself back in your life, move on

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am also in the New Orleans are and really sad to hear that she was not a legit love. Seems like her master plan worked but she was premature in her "exit". Divorce her on grounds of fraud and adultery (if you have proof). In New Orleans it has to be six months of living apart before you can file for divorce if their are no children. Feel free to message me ifI can help.

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry that your marriage end up like this. She sounds like she doesn't care about you. Just move on. Everything happens for a reason. She doesn't deserve you. I hope everything goes well infavor for you.

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

----------------------------------------

K-1 Journey (I-129F)

09/10/2010 ----- Filing date of I-129 F

09/22/2010 ----- NOA 1

02/22/2011 ----- Case being adjudicated

02/28/2011 ----- RFE, Waiver to file 2nd K-1 petition

03/04/2011 ----- RFE reply sent

03/08/2011 ----- RFE received and being reviewed at USCIS

03/17/2011 ----- NOA2 (I-129F approved)

03/23/2011 ----- NOA2 hard copy received

03/29/2011 ----- NVC received our Case

04/04/2011 ----- NVC letter received and case forwarded to US embassy Manila

04/08/2011 ----- US Embassy Manila received our case (Consulate)

04/15/2011 ----- Paid VISA at BPI

04/16/2011 ----- Received Eligibility Letter from US Embassy Manila dated April 8, 2011

04/25/2011 ----- 1st day of Medical

04/26/2011 ----- 2nd day of Medical (I PASSED!! Thank you Lord!!)

05/13/2011 ----- Interview (221g - Case under Administrative Processing "AP")

08/12/2011 ----- Received an email from the embassy "Case is pending review by a consular officer"

----------------------------------------

My blog: All about my writings and essays

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Another Reason why i stay far from some of those ppl.. i'm liable to knock them out clean. As others have mentioned - stay away from that woman. Block the # she calls from or change the # if you feel it's better for you. If you own a smart phone.. make some changes* and accept her calls the proof will be in your hand. I hope it win will turn out in your favor.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.