mgreco

will divorcing ruined my wife's green card?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So me and my wife have been married for over 2 years now. Things where fine at first but now things are bad. last year she received her temporary green card(the one that's good for 2 years)and pretty soon she will be able to get her permanent one. My marriage is unrepairable and I think divorce is the only way for the two of us to get on with the rest of our lives. So my question is if we divorce before she gets her permanent green card, will this ruined that process for her?, just because things didn't work between us doesn't mean that I want to see the life she has here come to an end because I still care for her even if she doesn't

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

it will ruin your life. if you care so much about her to see she gets her permanent card why not try and repair your marriage? I dont know your circumstances but sounds like you guys deserve another chance.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: Timeline

So me and my wife have been married for over 2 years now. Things where fine at first but now things are bad. last year she received her temporary green card(the one that's good for 2 years)and pretty soon she will be able to get her permanent one. My marriage is unrepairable and I think divorce is the only way for the two of us to get on with the rest of our lives. So my question is if we divorce before she gets her permanent green card, will this ruined that process for her?, just because things didn't work between us doesn't mean that I want to see the life she has here come to an end because I still care for her even if she doesn't

Based on what I have read on here there should be no issue.

Now, you may have to answer some questions to USCIS on your next foreign import.

She can file to remove conditions on her own, if she shows that the marriage was not entered into to circumvent immigration laws. Look at the instructions for I-751.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Would you like to see your marriage repaired? Would she like to see your marriage repaired? Did you try marriage counseling? Everything can be forgiven, even the worst and the marriage can be repaired and be even stronger, but ONLY if both parties want it.

Do you want to try to fix it?

Does she?

Same questions asked again.

If she doesn't want to fix it, then perhaps you should let her go, and let be whatever will be. Don't sacrifice yourself.

If it is you who wants out without reconciliation, then why would you care so much about her staying here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To answer your qn... any ONLY your qn, She simply files for ROC by herself once the divorce is final (or during the 90 days, whichever comes first). As long as she can prove she entered the marriage in good faith then she should be fine.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry the marriage hasn't worked out. You have my respect for not trying to take the failure of the marriage out on her by trying to 'ruin' her life. Yes, circumstances change but that doesn't mean that things have to become hurtful.

You two can divorce. Your ex-wife would then file the I-751 ROC petition right after she receives the final divorce papers. At the bottom of the first page is a section which lists the different 'waiver's available. She would check the box requesting a waiver from the joint filing condition due to a divorce. She would include documents with the petition that prove she entered the marriage in good faith and that it was a valid marriage while it lasted, along with the divorce papers. She will need to have copies of documents the two of you acquired during the course of her marriage, so you can certainly help her get her permanent green card by making sure she gets copies of the documents she needs. That way she would be able to move on with her life, and you can move on with yours comfortable knowing you have behaved with integrity.

Good luck to you both.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

couples' counseling.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.