moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow! The i-75 throughout the northern area of Ohio is all two lanes, and the merge lane is very short.. But there isn't a whole lot of volume, so it's easy to get over. I think this system in general is better than the 401 near the city.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Today - I have a big hankering for Canadian Cheetos

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

hmmm talking about all of this food makes me want to drive across the border and get some tasty Canadian snacks. I feel lucky since I'm only a 48 minute drive to Niagra Falls.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The 99 cent only store in the US is awesome. They even sell produce now too. The Dollar tree is great for holiday and gift wrapping items. Probably about 80% of my holiday decorations comes from the Dollar Tree..lol They also sometimes sell Canadian items. i remember seeing those Maple Leaf creme cookies there and a long time ago they used to sell coffee crisps but I haven't seen those there in awhile.

To me the dollar stores in Canada sucked. At least the ones around where I lived..

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

My husband refers to them as MAN POOPING BY A WALL

:rofl: oh wow! I can never unseen that... every time I merge I will now picture a man pooping by a wall.

A hell of a lot warmer here in the winter, and we get more snow during our storms than southern Ontario, but our snow will be gone in a day or so usually. In Ontario it would stay for the season. Helps being at almost a mile up and 300+ days of sunshine to help melt that ####### away. Oh and yes we also can get snow storms from Sept to May as well which you don't typically get in Ontario. Hell I've seen it snow in June before and Labor Day weekend as well in the past here...

Very true. Back home its pretty rare you get a snowstorm that dumps 8 inches in a day, but that's pretty common for Denver. And then its gone! Makes it easier to enjoy when you know it won't sit around for 3 months. Its one of the reasons I want to move back to Denver... CO Springs lacks snow, and a lot of other things...

Today - I have a big hankering for Canadian Cheetos

Yes! I love Cheetos, and the ones here just aren't the same. The cheese is different and I find them a little dry.

I've had snow dump on my head in July and August. But then I used to live in Big White, BC. whistling.gif Something about being on a ski hill.

I don't mind snow. Really even if it sticks around for a while. What I hate is WIND! Is it windy in Denver? In Alberta, it snows and the wind drives it sideways. The temp says "-35* C... Feels like -47*C" and I'm all FML. wacko.gif

I will miss reading everything in KM and litres etc... I love the metric system. Oh and *C vs *F. Whomever thought that 32 degrees should be freezing is an idiot. headbonk.gif A zero works just fine! On another note did you know that -40*F is the same as -40*C! Wow huh?!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband says he will miss the buns they use on the angus burgers at mcdonalds in canada.

When the angus burgers first came out, they were on ciabatta buns in Canada.

The funny thing is, he doesn't realize they switched the buns to the US buns at some point in the last 2 years.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very true. Back home its pretty rare you get a snowstorm that dumps 8 inches in a day, but that's pretty common for Denver. And then its gone! Makes it easier to enjoy when you know it won't sit around for 3 months. Its one of the reasons I want to move back to Denver... CO Springs lacks snow, and a lot of other things...

Yes, I lived in the Springs for 8 years and spent all my weekends up in Denver since the Springs was boring as all living hell.

Speaking of driving in both countries. Even though I go my first drivers licence up in Canada, I mainly only drove it in the US on road trips to visit friends and rarely ever outside of Windsor, then I moved here soon after. So I've never really had the Canadian driving experience from a Canadian stand point. My observations are that people up there are generally really slow and seem to disregard the fast lane and drive 5-10 miles under the speed limit in the passing lanes.

That was the biggest thing I saw. However, I also noticed that Canadians tended to use their turn signals a lot more (this varies by state though) than the average American. All the Canadian drivers I've seen on the road here, just drive a slower pace, but they avoid the passing lane here unlike they do in Canada. Guess they realize we will cut them or anyone else off if they do that. So haven't had any issues here with them (other than them slowing up the slow lane driving way under the speed limit). Seems the slow driving speed has no correlation to drivers age either, seen young and old all doing the same thing with Canadian cars...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

I'm a little late to this thread and I'm sure it's probably been mentioned by now. My wife misses Tim Hortons coffee the most! I can't say I blame her, I think the Tim Hortons coffee in Canada is the best I've ever had, it blows Dunkin Donuts away. There are none here in Mass and the ones in upstate NY just don't make the same blend as the ones in Canada.

And give me some Tim Bits too! :lol:

Yes, I lived in the Springs for 8 years and spent all my weekends up in Denver since the Springs was boring as all living hell.

Speaking of driving in both countries. Even though I go my first drivers licence up in Canada, I mainly only drove it in the US on road trips to visit friends and rarely ever outside of Windsor, then I moved here soon after. So I've never really had the Canadian driving experience from a Canadian stand point. My observations are that people up there are generally really slow and seem to disregard the fast lane and drive 5-10 miles under the speed limit in the passing lanes.

That was the biggest thing I saw. However, I also noticed that Canadians tended to use their turn signals a lot more (this varies by state though) than the average American. All the Canadian drivers I've seen on the road here, just drive a slower pace, but they avoid the passing lane here unlike they do in Canada. Guess they realize we will cut them or anyone else off if they do that. So haven't had any issues here with them (other than them slowing up the slow lane driving way under the speed limit). Seems the slow driving speed has no correlation to drivers age either, seen young and old all doing the same thing with Canadian cars...

My husband says I drive too fast. LOL We do use turn signals a lot here, but then THATS what they're for! rofl.gif I wonder if some Canadians just don't really get the feel the the american speed limits. But in from what I remember of most Canada I've noticed the speed limits are a lot lower than in the USA. I grew up in BC and it's rare to find a speed limit over 90km unless you're on the coquihalla or an odd place or two otherwise. In Alberta the average is 110km and if you're not doing 10 over that, you're slowing up traffic. I've had RCMP blow by me doing 140 most likely when I've been at 120, without lights on. I can't remember what it's like further east because it's been so long since I've gone that way, but honestly I don't remember a great deal of high speed limits.

My Grandpa used to go the speed limit in passing lanes. He said the speed limit was the speed limit and be damned if he was going to move over. LOL No amount of explaining why he should move over and just let people pass him ever did any good.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

My husband says I drive too fast. LOL We do use turn signals a lot here, but then THATS what they're for! rofl.gif I wonder if some Canadians just don't really get the feel the the american speed limits. But in from what I remember of most Canada I've noticed the speed limits are a lot lower than in the USA. I grew up in BC and it's rare to find a speed limit over 90km unless you're on the coquihalla or an odd place or two otherwise. In Alberta the average is 110km and if you're not doing 10 over that, you're slowing up traffic. I've had RCMP blow by me doing 140 most likely when I've been at 120, without lights on. I can't remember what it's like further east because it's been so long since I've gone that way, but honestly I don't remember a great deal of high speed limits.

My Grandpa used to go the speed limit in passing lanes. He said the speed limit was the speed limit and be damned if he was going to move over. LOL No amount of explaining why he should move over and just let people pass him ever did any good.

If I remember correctly, the speed limit on Quebec highways is 100km. And like Alberta, if you're not going 10-20 km over that, then you're slowing down traffic too. Which I didn't have a problem with as I have a lead foot laughing.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Going through the 400's:

On the 402, I avg about 110 and the limit is 100

On the 401, I have to go about 125 to keep up with everyone.

On the 403, I go about 115 to 120 and I'm pretty even with everyone.

That's all in kilometers, obv.

In chicago, the limit is 55mph, and if you aren't going 70, you're being left behind

That would be an 88klm speed limit and you have to go around 112 or you're tailgated lol

I noticed that through Indiana/Michiga, the speed limit is 70mph and everyone really goes no more than 75.

In response to your grandpa, that passing lane really is a passing lane and you can get a ticket if you're driving in it.

If I remember correctly, the speed limit on Quebec highways is 100km. And like Alberta, if you're not going 10-20 km over that, then you're slowing down traffic too. Which I didn't have a problem with as I have a lead foot laughing.gif

Same here in Ontario

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband says he will miss the buns they use on the angus burgers at mcdonalds in canada.

When the angus burgers first came out, they were on ciabatta buns in Canada.

The funny thing is, he doesn't realize they switched the buns to the US buns at some point in the last 2 years.

Yeah, they changed the buns here hahah.. They're not the nice buns anymore :P

Also, I got dinged going 137km/h on the 401.. So now I'm kind of your Sunday driver! I try not to go a cent above 115 anymore. I've been doing this for a year straight, so I can't see that changing any time soon!

Edited by codygrace

Timeline

Trans-Canada Highway is 110km/h. You're right. Everyone goes 10-20km over that. lol.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.