moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought that I would start this topic for fun to see what some fellow VJ Canadian expats miss about the homeland. Being that I am living in a very small town in Western NY and coming from a city as big as TO, I never realized that there would be alot of things that I would miss but do :crying:.

Here is a list of things that I love from Canada but cannot buy or find down here:

Cherry Nibs

Pealmeal Bacon - the ####### that they sell at Tops cannot even compare and this bacon can rock it out of the park when it comes to eggs benny

Fresh Squeezed OJ - no one sells it here and I have tried everywhere...Tops, Wegmans but to no avail

Woody's pink grapefruit vodka coolers - yummy nuff said

Robaxecet and Gravol - again no where to be found

Glysomed hand cream - this stuff is awesome and again cannot find it at Riteaid or Walgreens

International Eggs benedict sauce - nothing compares to it

The Mercer Report and CBC...I know, you can watch on-line but not the same thing

CBC News, again see comment above

My running group from York Mills Running Room!!!

And last but not least - decent soft cheese especially Bleu Brisse and La Savergine...hmmmm La Savergine...the best sofest cheese from Quebec ever.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Quebec's cheese rock !! I am still in Montreal and I already know that I will miss all the "ethnic" grocery store we do have here ! Oh and poutine too !! :D

MMMMMM poutine...yummy and I also forgot to add Montreal smoked meat sandwiches..ooh and Chez Cora's (my fav breakfast place)

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Like you, moemac, I come from a big city (Montreal) and moved to some 25k population city in the middle of South Dakota laughing.gif

Cherry Nibs (Twizzler's just aren't the same thing >_< )

Poutine

La Belle Province hot dogs

Public transportation!!! (not one single bus in this goddamn town)

Oreo cookies (they have them here, but they just do NOT taste the same)

Hockey (yeah, I'm sure I can find somewhere to watch it online, but not the same thing)

Multi-culturalism (always saw flags in Montreal from countries where people are from (Italy, Greece, Egypt, etc), here in the US, you only see American flags)

Canadians in general, lol

I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's all I can think of right now...

Edited by Saylin

Timeline

Like you, moemac, I come from a big city (Montreal) and moved to some 25k population city in the middle of South Dakota laughing.gif

Cherry Nibs (Twizzler's just aren't the same thing >_< )

Poutine

La Belle Province hot dogs

Public transportation!!! (not one single bus in this goddamn town)

Oreo cookies (they have them here, but they just do NOT taste the same)

Hockey (yeah, I'm sure I can find somewhere to watch it online, but not the same thing)

Canadians in general, lol

I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's all I can think of right now...

Saylin, I forgot about public transportation...I'm in a village of 5k and your right no public transportation. At least I am only a 48 minute car ride to Niagra Falls so I can walk over the bridge and catch a bus or VIA to TO for the day.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My Family

Pizza pops

alphagetti

cheese bread sticks from The Canadian Superstore

all-dressed chips

coffee crisp

white freezies that taste like cream soda

Cheese Whiz

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Just remembered another: Pizza Pockets! They have something similar here, can't remember what they're called, but they're disgusting in comparison :(

Filed: Timeline

I miss my family and friends the most. But if we're talking food I'd say it's Shreddies, Cadbury's, malt and dimpflemeier breads. Oh, and turkey bites and proper kielbassa. I've responded to your notes below.

Pealmeal Bacon - the ####### that they sell at Tops cannot even compare and this bacon can rock it out of the park when it comes to eggs benny

- The closest I've found to peameal is the sliced smoked boneless pork.... vacuum-packed and available at Wegmans

Fresh Squeezed OJ - no one sells it here and I have tried everywhere...Tops, Wegmans but to no avail

- My Wegmans has all kinds. I buy Tropicana in the clear jugs. They also have a fresh squeezed juice section by the hot bar.

Robaxecet and Gravol - again no where to be found

Glysomed hand cream - this stuff is awesome and again cannot find it at Riteaid or Walgreens

- You'll have to bring these back from Canada with you when you visit.... or have someone bring them when they visit

International Eggs benedict sauce - nothing compares to it

- Try Knorr Hollandaise

iagree.gif

Timeline

I also forgot about Ikea.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Saylin, I forgot about public transportation...I'm in a village of 5k and your right no public transportation. At least I am only a 48 minute car ride to Niagra Falls so I can walk over the bridge and catch a bus or VIA to TO for the day.

When I visited Montreal for the first time after I moved back in June, I was such a kid on Christmas when I took public transportation. I was like, oh my god, I'm on the bus/metro/train!! :D :D

laughing.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will miss public transportation too ! Im having my driving exam soon because I have no choice but being able to drive once in the US ! Im going to live in a tiny village in Maine and you need a car just to get milk !!

I also forgot about Ikea.

Ohh, Ikea *deeply sighs* I think this is a Canadian thing for sure. When I told my husband about Ikea (which we saw a store by the Mall of America in Minnesota when we went to visit over the summer), he just didn't understand my fascination about it.

Another: Cheese Bits. Cheez-Its are similar, but not the same...

We're lucky to have an Ikea by us. You can order online too, though.

I just like walking through the store laughing.gif Nearest one is like 5 hours away. I like Ikea, but not that much :P

Timeline

Katchoo, if you walk anywhere here in Medina, people look at you like you are from outer space. I had no car living in TO. I either ran, walked, rollerbladded or used public transit to get where I was going...people just don't get that here.

Saylin next time you go by an Ikea, make your husband turn around and drag him in. I did that with mine and he finally got it. In fact it was his idea to drive to Pittsburgh (4 hrs away) to buy our kitchen from there. His passport expired so that is why we went there instead of the 1.5 hr trip over the border to purchase it.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.