moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One of the only things I miss is Chinese food. Especially seafood Chow Mein. I don't know why, but I've had the same type of crispy thin noodles with the right type of squid and sauce in restaurants in Windsor to Toronto and they're always so freaking amazing. Here no matter what state I am in, I have yet in 15 years found one single restaurant that can do it anywhere close to how they do it up there in Canuckia...

ooh remember Mr. Pongs back in the day in TO? You would be out late at nite and would be starving and then walk out and would see a Mr. Pong's truck parked outside on Queen St. W.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

President's choice is from Canadian Superstore, so that's interesting. Unless they had to rename it in Canada because of copyright issues?

I believe it talks briefly of it here:

As President’s Choice began making inroads, Loblaw aired a series of prime time infomercials on television in Buffalo, New York, with Nichol and marketing executive Boris Polakow, in advance of the next issue of Dave Nichol’s Insider’s Report. In 1991, PC was available in only a handful of states [18] but a little more than two years later was on the shelves of some 1,200 stores in 34 states, due in large part to Wal-mart. President’s Choice had come to the attention of Sam Walton, founder of the Wal-mart chain of discount stores, through Don Watt. After a year of meetings, a deal was struck in which Loblaw agreed to develop a line of private label products under the Wal-mart brands Sam’s American Choice, later shortened to Sam’s Choice, and Great Value. Described as "a big coup for Nichol," [22] items such as “Sam’s Cola” and “Sam’s Over 39% Chocolate Chip Cookies” made their debut in 1991. The Toronto Star later reported that cola and cookies sales had "gone through the roof." [19]

oldlady.gif

Is it wrong that I miss Buckley's? It tastes terrible, but it does work! I'm going to have to get my parents to bring down a bottle when they visit next week. It's the best thing for a cough or cold!

Stacy - NL, Canada
Tom - Houston, TX

US CONSULATE - MONTREAL (K-1)
Interview date: 07/23/2012 - APPROVED!!!!
US POE: 08/16/2012
Marriage: 09/07/2012

AOS
Package sent: 10/13/2012
NOA1: 10/19/2012
Biometrics: 11/26/2012
EAD Arrived: 12/10/2012
AP Arrived: 03/15/2013
E-Mail - 'Decision' = APPROVED: 08/06/2013 (9.5 month wait!)
Green Card in Hand: 08/14/2013

ROC

Package sent: 05/26/2015

Timeline

One of the only things I miss is Chinese food. Especially seafood Chow Mein. I don't know why, but I've had the same type of crispy thin noodles with the right type of squid and sauce in restaurants in Windsor to Toronto and they're always so freaking amazing. Here no matter what state I am in, I have yet in 15 years found one single restaurant that can do it anywhere close to how they do it up there in Canuckia...

Must be better in toronto.

All of the chinese food here in Brantford is nasty.

The eggrolls are the worst. Every egg roll from every place here tastes disgusting and the same.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Timeline

- Good aged cheddar cheese - here 'aged' means 6 months old - that's basically raw! A good old cheddar from the Wilton Cheese factory is incredible! There are some decent cheeses available at Costco but not generally in the supermarkets;

Our Wegmans carries a large array of Canadian cheese, as well as european. I find the Collier cheese from Wales has the best bite and flavour, and is less expensive than the Canadian cheese.

-Canadian Health care - even with insurance the US system sucks - and yes, I have had to wait many hours here both in the doctor's office and in emergency departments longer than I ever had to wait in Canada - and then 'pay' for the 'privilege' ;

-CBC TV and radio - Canadian programming just has a different flavour and I miss it;

-walking; yes, I used to love to go for walks every evening back home. I would walk to work, I would just go walking for pleasure and never felt 'at risk' on my own. Here, I am very aware of the risks of going out walking on my own - and while I can walk around our neighbourhood, i just miss being able to go off walking for pleasure without worrying about safety.

The medical attention I have received in the US has been excellent. The health insurance boggles my mind and has me totally confused. This co-pay thing is mind-boggling.

CBC radio.... is on Sirius/XM so I sometimes listen to that.

I am very happy to now be living in an area where there are miles of walking trails. Where we lived in FL I could only walk the neighbourhood or get in the car and drive somewhere to walk. :lol:

Health care, It is horrible here "cost wise" to give birth in the states. Even with health insurance I still paid 3000 dollars last year for levi, And 2000 for my this year for the pregnancy that I lost at 16 weeks.

I am so sorry, Canadiandggal. (F)

how Canada 'feels', you know that feeilng when you drive over the border and it just feels newer, sqeekier cleaner somehow

streetlights

I know exactly that feeling. And so does my husband because he says Canada has a different (better) feel to it as well.

presidents choice used to be the generic walmart brand :lol:

No, PC began in its own right, quite separate and apart from Walmart. The concept began as a way to brand items which were higher quality than the no name generic brands.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Our Wegmans carries a large array of Canadian cheese, as well as european. I find the Collier cheese from Wales has the best bite and flavour, and is less expensive than the Canadian cheese.

The medical attention I have received in the US has been excellent. The health insurance boggles my mind and has me totally confused. This co-pay thing is mind-boggling.

CBC radio.... is on Sirius/XM so I sometimes listen to that.

I am very happy to now be living in an area where there are miles of walking trails. Where we lived in FL I could only walk the neighbourhood or get in the car and drive somewhere to walk. :lol:

I am so sorry, Canadiandggal. (F)

I know exactly that feeling. And so does my husband because he says Canada has a different (better) feel to it as well.

No, PC began in its own right, quite separate and apart from Walmart. The concept began as a way to brand items which were higher quality than the no name generic brands.

PC is labeled as Great Value in the US according to the post I made above.

It was always considered the generic brand "no name" brand in the us.

and I don't mean no name as in the giant YELLOW brand, which makes me shake my head everytime I see it.

I will admit the PC cookies are AMAAAAZING. The chocholate chunk cookies are a million times better than the "christie's" ones I have in the cabinet right now...

Also, I never saw that post about pregnancy cost. That's sad. I have an HMO and my pregnancy will cost me nothing.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Filed: Timeline

In 1991, PC was available in only a handful of states [18] but a little more than two years later was on the shelves of some 1,200 stores in 34 states, due in large part to Wal-mart. President’s Choice had come to the attention of Sam Walton, founder of the Wal-mart chain of discount stores, through Don Watt. After a year of meetings, a deal was struck in which Loblaw agreed to develop a line of private label products under the Wal-mart brands Sam’s American Choice, later shortened to Sam’s Choice, and Great Value. Described as "a big coup for Nichol,"[22] items such as “Sam’s Cola” and “Sam’s Over 39% Chocolate Chip Cookies” made their debut in 1991. The Toronto Star later reported that cola and cookies sales had "gone through the roof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President's_Choice

iagree.gif

What you're referring to is that every major chain has their own "store" or "private label" generic brand. President's Choice is owned by Loblaws in Canada. http://www.loblaw.ca/ Great Value is Walmart's brand. Zeller's used Truly. Canadian Tire uses Likewise. Most stores do. Looks like some Great Value brands are produced by a Canadian label. Well isn't that interesting! My hubs always says that Canadian's don't tout what we do. I'd have to agree with him on that. He never knew that a Canadian invented the telephone, the zipper or a great many other things. But everyone knows and uses them for sure. ;)

Off-Topic2.gif

I am forever grateful that my husband works for the FAA and we have a great choice of everything from medical, to dental to vision that is covered at a reduced cost to us. His dream job is why he's not up here in Canada getting his Engineering degree.

Thankfully Colorado is far enough north that I will still get 4 seasons. :) Otherwise I'd say I'd be missing snow! Hahaha!!! (He's originally from Alabama... Oh goodness I love to hear him talk. :D)

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

What you're referring to is that every major chain has their own "store" or "private label" generic brand. President's Choice is owned by Loblaws in Canada. http://www.loblaw.ca/ Great Value is Walmart's brand. Zeller's used Truly. Canadian Tire uses Likewise. Most stores do. Looks like some Great Value brands are produced by a Canadian label. Well isn't that interesting! My hubs always says that Canadian's don't tout what we do. I'd have to agree with him on that. He never knew that a Canadian invented the telephone, the zipper or a great many other things. But everyone knows and uses them for sure. ;)

Off-Topic2.gif

I am forever grateful that my husband works for the FAA and we have a great choice of everything from medical, to dental to vision that is covered at a reduced cost to us. His dream job is why he's not up here in Canada getting his Engineering degree.

Thankfully Colorado is far enough north that I will still get 4 seasons. :) Otherwise I'd say I'd be missing snow! Hahaha!!! (He's originally from Alabama... Oh goodness I love to hear him talk. :D)

I learned all about the telephone from the first time I visited brantford!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Merge signs. Here it's all about yield and no one is required to let you in. Makes for some tense moments getting onto local freeways.

No kidding... I cringe often when I see the people on the freeway paying no regard at all to others trying to merge. It can be quite scary sometimes - and the people I know down there just kind of shrug and say "It's the person's job to merge - they have to figure it out" -- It is a courtesy to make sure they can merge safely! Whatever happened to defensive driving... /grumble

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Is it wrong that I miss Buckley's? It tastes terrible, but it does work! I'm going to have to get my parents to bring down a bottle when they visit next week. It's the best thing for a cough or cold!

Oh I forgot that one! I love Buckley's, nothing works quite like it. I always make sure to bring some back whenever I'm in Canada.

Yay Colorado! :D I don't know the statistics, but it sure feels like Denver gets more snow than Southern Ontario. But it is definitely not as cold!

Driving sure is a different beast here than back home. That may be because I'm from a smaller town. I hate to admit it, but after 3.5 years, I drive like a local now. Which translates into, I drive like an a-hole :lol:

My doctor here gave me a 2 year prescription for depo provera wich i plan to bring with me ! It cost me about 49$/shot wich is good for 3 months. I cannot even imagine how much it will cost me in the US ! Even if i will be covered with my soon to be hubby, most insurance cie just dont cover birth control...

Be careful with that...some pharmacies will not accept Canadian scripts! I had that problem all over my city. Once they saw it was from a different country, they wouldn't fill it. Luckily I had 6 months worth of pills on me, but I had to go to a doctor to get a new script filled!

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Be careful with that...some pharmacies will not accept Canadian scripts! I had that problem all over my city. Once they saw it was from a different country, they wouldn't fill it. Luckily I had 6 months worth of pills on me, but I had to go to a doctor to get a new script filled!

My doctor here in Montreal gave me a 2 year prescription that i intend to fill here before i go

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quebec's cheese rock !! I am still in Montreal and I already know that I will miss all the "ethnic" grocery store we do have here ! Oh and poutine too !! :D

I had a taste for poutine the other day and I'm not even the Canadian!! LOL

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also miss CBC TV as well and was a news junkie back home. Remember when CBC had the rights to broadcast the Olympics? I definately missed Canadian Olympic coverage during the games down here. I had no idea how many medals that we won and I had minimal access to the internet.

I worked on the Torino Olympics! It was my first "Real" job in TV, and led to most of the contacts that I made. I worked at CBC on and off for about 5 years. I don't think that's something I'll miss though, because towards the end (last year was my last CBC contract), I had some pretty sour experiences LOL.

CBC did win back the rights to the 2014 and 2016 games I think - not sure about beyond that though, if it's been decided.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.