moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope, the speed limit drops to 60 in the construction areas (which is crazy to me because i'm from chicago and the NORMAL speed limit posted is only 55 lol) and people typically go 65-70 then. I do too, unless I actually see guys working in the road, then i drop below 60. There are speeders just like any highway in any state, but there's a lot less of them there. If you go to chicago, everyone is passing everyone if every lane because no one in their right mind goes 55 except the elderly.

lol, my comment was a bit of a sarcastic one. Yes, the speed limit is 60 here too in construction areas....but to say people drive no more than 75 is a tiny stretch. Often I'm doing a minimum of 75, when drivers are blowing past me. Certain times doing 80 is just keeping up with traffic. I dunno...maybe its just the area....

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I belive its Sask. or may be Alberta, starting soon (maybe already) are Raising the fines for speeding in a construction zone--and are going to have photo radar near by to enforce it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

shortly after whining about my cell phone bill i was reminded by my wife that I was receiving quite a hefty discount from the cell phone company I worked for in Canada. Soooo missing my cell phone bill can officially be stricken from the record and I definitely do not miss my job. Sour Patch Kids are no match for Fuzzy Peaches and Cherry Blasters.

Timeline

shortly after whining about my cell phone bill i was reminded by my wife that I was receiving quite a hefty discount from the cell phone company I worked for in Canada. Soooo missing my cell phone bill can officially be stricken from the record and I definitely do not miss my job. Sour Patch Kids are no match for Fuzzy Peaches and Cherry Blasters.

:lol: I'm not a fan of either of those.

I AM a fan of these though.

AAAAC8J_udgAAAAAAPkYiA.jpg?v=1286675424000

Idk if we have them in the US but I think so because when I google the pics, there are different packages that dont' say MAYNARDS on them.

PS- where the heck did my post go?

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maynards rocks and can't wait to get back to England to get authentic wine gums from them. Maybe I'll go see the factory in London next week when I'm back.

I would think if you found any British Import store in your city, they would probably carry Maynards Candy or at least the popular types.

Last may when I was in London, I had a day layover there at Heathrow and looked so hard to find Wine Gums. Finally found a convenence store that had them, but I was amazed at how many I had to go to until I found one that had them. You'd think London would have them everywhere, but it didn't seem like it this time compared to other times I've flown over there...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Maynards rocks and can't wait to get back to England to get authentic wine gums from them. Maybe I'll go see the factory in London next week when I'm back.

I would think if you found any British Import store in your city, they would probably carry Maynards Candy or at least the popular types.

Last may when I was in London, I had a day layover there at Heathrow and looked so hard to find Wine Gums. Finally found a convenence store that had them, but I was amazed at how many I had to go to until I found one that had them. You'd think London would have them everywhere, but it didn't seem like it this time compared to other times I've flown over there...

Idk about that since sour patch kids are in the US

I also love sour patch watermelons AMG drooling.

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maynards has the best GUMMY BEARS ever. I'm so sad whenever I go to the USA, and I can't find my favourite pink package! Unless you get stale ones, because those are just awful. It's happened to me twice, ever, and totally ruined my day. I even blogged about it once: http://singlesandpairs.blogspot.ca/2011/03/simple-pleasures-or-lack-thereof.html

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

If you guys are willing to pay for shipping, this amazing site has a bunch of Maynards stuff (as well as other Canadian favourites): http://www.canadianfavourites.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=maynards

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Things I know I will miss:

My healthcare

Coffee Crisp

White Spot (west coast thing)

The mountains

Being able to walk anywhere

Being able to understand where you're going on the SkyTrain

24 hr. drivethru Tim Hortons

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

The Tassimo coffee maker now has the Tim Hortons cups!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My healthcare

Coffee Crisp

The mountains

Ahhh White Spot. It's soooo delicious. My fiance is from Washington and one day he said to me, "Hey...do you still have that restaurant White Spot? I remember going there once as a kid and it was amazing!" He'd only been to BC a few times and vividly recalled it! So we went back there on a day when he was visiting me and it was just like he remembered. Love their burger sauce. Gotta remember to go there again before I move down!

Edited by VeeNDee

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you know of any places in Denver?

If you guys are willing to pay for shipping, this amazing site has a bunch of Maynards stuff (as well as other Canadian favourites): http://www.canadianfavourites.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=maynards

The people that run that site are great. They sent me a free box of Cherry blasters last year because they didn't get my Christmas order out in time. Its a little pricy, but not bad! Its worth it.

My healthcare

Coffee Crisp

The mountains

Ditto! I'm sure there are many pedestrian-friendly cities with fantastic public transit systems across America, but I did not move to one sadly. Also, as much as I would complain about Tim Horton's coffee being just coffee-flavored hot water, I do miss having an inexpensive alternative to Starbucks and the like around.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.