moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone know a good brand of perogies you can get down here? I've tried Mrs. T's or whatever, but It's not quite what I'm looking for. They have a noodle like shell, and I like the potato like shell. Can you get that here?

If you want authentic perogies you might be able to find something at a Ukrainian, Russian or Polish market. Can't think of any off hand in the Springs or Denver, but I know there is a decent Polish, Russian, Ukranian population here so I would think they would have something in a local grocery market.

Here's a few in Denver at least that I just googled:

"Sawa Meat and Sausage" (On Wadsworth)

"European Mart" - Leetsdale

I haven't been to either, but I never minded Mrs T's perogies at all. I should ask my Polish/Russian friends here since they might know. I think the majority though of the people from those countries make them themselves, so you may be stuck just getting used to Mrs T's...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

If you want authentic perogies you might be able to find something at a Ukrainian, Russian or Polish market. Can't think of any off hand in the Springs or Denver, but I know there is a decent Polish, Russian, Ukranian population here so I would think they would have something in a local grocery market.

Here's a few in Denver at least that I just googled:

"Sawa Meat and Sausage" (On Wadsworth)

"European Mart" - Leetsdale

I haven't been to either, but I never minded Mrs T's perogies at all. I should ask my Polish/Russian friends here since they might know. I think the majority though of the people from those countries make them themselves, so you may be stuck just getting used to Mrs T's...

Thanksgiving next week and it'll be my first without my Canadian family, but I'm actually more upset that it'll be my first without pierogies!

I found a place out of Kansas City called Pieroguysthey ship across the country, but their shipping rates are a little high unless you order in bulk. I'm going there this weekend so I may drop by.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanksgiving next week and it'll be my first without my Canadian family, but I'm actually more upset that it'll be my first without pierogies!

I found a place out of Kansas City called Pieroguysthey ship across the country, but their shipping rates are a little high unless you order in bulk. I'm going there this weekend so I may drop by.

I'm sure it's a bit of work, but why not try making your own?

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

I'm sure it's a bit of work, but why not try making your own?

I will definitely when we get our own place. My wife and I are living with her parents and they have a tiny kitchen, but I love cooking and will def try when we get our own place in the new year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've thought of making my own but I have no cooking talents AT ALL. Honestly, If its not from box or takes more than 3 steps to prepare I will screw it up. Good tips Warlord, I'll look around.

Timeline

I missed seeing Canadian flags everywhere and was talking to my mother (who lives in the Peg) about this. Well this week, when I opened up the mail box, low and behold there was an envelope in the box with a huge Canadian flag in it. We will now be flying both flags on the front of our house..Oh yeah and the Canadian flag is waaay bigger then the US flag that we bought at our local legion.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

I missed seeing Canadian flags everywhere and was talking to my mother (who lives in the Peg) about this. Well this week, when I opened up the mail box, low and behold there was an envelope in the box with a huge Canadian flag in it. We will now be flying both flags on the front of our house..Oh yeah and the Canadian flag is waaay bigger then the US flag that we bought at our local legion.

My husband and I decided to put his American flag over his computer and my Canadian flag over mine. :) We'll have an interesting "dining room" to say the least. His only stipulation was that the American flag has to be a bit higher than the Canadian one. But he's ex-military so I conceded, considering I'll be getting the better computer ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

My husband and I decided to put his American flag over his computer and my Canadian flag over mine. :) We'll have an interesting "dining room" to say the least. His only stipulation was that the American flag has to be a bit higher than the Canadian one. But he's ex-military so I conceded, considering I'll be getting the better computer ;)

I was wondering what the protocol was for the flags? If one has to be hung higher than the other.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

Protocol is that the host country's flag precedes or flies above any other flags or holds the position on the 'right'. It should have the place of eminence. There are circumstances where flags can be flown at the same height -generally when two countries are at peace with each other and then the flags can be flown at the same height and should be of the same size, but generally, in the US, the US flag takes precedence and should come first or higher.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny thing, I've noticed this difference between canada and the US regarding the soft drink machine.

In the US: It's a steady stream of the CO2 with a steady stream of the soda syrup at the same time.

In Canada: it's a steady stream of CO2 with the stream of soda syrup pumping out in constant bursts

I was freaked out the first time I got my own drink like a year ago and I thought it was running out of syrup so I dumped the whole thing out and went again and decided it must be fine since it LOOKED okay.

I don't know if there's a difference in taste though because I don't really drink soda often.

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I make my own perogies. I did find them in Kroger but they come in a box of 12 and well I would have to buy a ####### load of boxes for just one meal.

The pop machines tend to make me think they are running out also, I still have not gotten used to it.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Protocol is that the host country's flag precedes or flies above any other flags or holds the position on the 'right'. It should have the place of eminence. There are circumstances where flags can be flown at the same height -generally when two countries are at peace with each other and then the flags can be flown at the same height and should be of the same size, but generally, in the US, the US flag takes precedence and should come first or higher.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/7

Thanks Kat. This info was really useful...my husband and I have been going back and forth on this.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I make my own perogies. I did find them in Kroger but they come in a box of 12 and well I would have to buy a ####### load of boxes for just one meal.

The pop machines tend to make me think they are running out also, I still have not gotten used to it.

Do you remember the brand? We have King Soopers here, but its basically the same place. 12 would work for me!

Timeline

I miss perogies, poutine, M&M meat shop and of course my family. :P

Also I miss calgary transit - the public transport in my area is lacking and I'm nervous about riding my bike around as well. I had pretty good access to everything where I used to be. Still need to get a drivers licence, but can't until I get my employment authorization or green card.

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Timeline

OK, I found the Kroger perogies. I'm going to give them a try, they look decent!

I forgot about M&M, they had some good stuff!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.