moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Trans-Canada Highway is 110km/h. You're right. Everyone goes 10-20km over that. lol.

Wait when did they up the limit on the TCan?? I traveled between Ontario where i lived and Quebec for work for 6 years before i moved to Chicago. Mostly highway so it never bothered me..used to take me and hour to get from west island montreal to VanKleek hill where my house was. and i ALWAYS went almost 20 over the limit..never got a ticket..til i did 30 over..blush.gif OPP told me it wasn't worth their time to stop me for 15-20kph. but more than that? definitely..but he was a sweetie and marked down the speed on my ticket so I did not incur any points.

speaking of points on a licence..how do you explain that to someone here? I've tried and hubby just looks at me clueless like.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wait when did they up the limit on the TCan?? I traveled between Ontario where i lived and Quebec for work for 6 years before i moved to Chicago. Mostly highway so it never bothered me..used to take me and hour to get from west island montreal to VanKleek hill where my house was. and i ALWAYS went almost 20 over the limit..never got a ticket..til i did 30 over..blush.gif OPP told me it wasn't worth their time to stop me for 15-20kph. but more than that? definitely..but he was a sweetie and marked down the speed on my ticket so I did not incur any points.

speaking of points on a licence..how do you explain that to someone here? I've tried and hubby just looks at me clueless like.

I think they do points in certain states and none in others.

There are no points in IL but I believe there are in WI and probably CA and NY.

Basically you just get a number of points against you based on how bad the offense was... not sure how else to explain it since it's pretty straight forward.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Trans-Canada Highway is 110km/h. You're right. Everyone goes 10-20km over that. lol.

I miss the days when Montana had the speed limit "Safe and Prudent". I hit 115 mph on my car there on the interstate one time, that was fun. In Canada, I got nailed doing about 7 mph over the limit (think it was on a back road or highway and got a $380 ticket or something. I couldn't believe how much it was. I've gotten a ton of tickets (both warning and real tickets) here in the past in about 14 states (yes I drove a lot and fast for many years in the 90's) and the most I ever had to pay was something like $180 for doing something like 20 mph over the limit on the interstate. Still can't believe how much the Canadian ticket was though. That was insane...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I miss the days when Montana had the speed limit "Safe and Prudent". I hit 115 mph on my car there on the interstate one time, that was fun. In Canada, I got nailed doing about 7 mph over the limit (think it was on a back road or highway and got a $380 ticket or something. I couldn't believe how much it was. I've gotten a ton of tickets (both warning and real tickets) here in the past in about 14 states (yes I drove a lot and fast for many years in the 90's) and the most I ever had to pay was something like $180 for doing something like 20 mph over the limit on the interstate. Still can't believe how much the Canadian ticket was though. That was insane...

Varies from province to province! Speed limit on Trans canada and how much the speeding ticket is! I know at 1 time it was pretty cheap in Alberta, but I'm sure times have changed

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

In Alberta it's 110km/h. At least it is between Saskatoon and Edmonton.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

In Alberta it's 110km/h. At least it is between Saskatoon and Edmonton.

Thats the old Trans Canada highway! Very nice drive!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thats the old Trans Canada highway! Very nice drive!!

I like it. It's comfortable. The only thing I don't like are the young drivers who come on the road without experience. lol. They can be dangerous at higher speeds. And, like deer, they come out of nowhere sometimes.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

I like it. It's comfortable. The only thing I don't like are the young drivers who come on the road without experience. lol. They can be dangerous at higher speeds. And, like deer, they come out of nowhere sometimes.

I drove from Sasaktoon to Kamloops this passed summer. I think it was dual lane to just outside Edmonton,then back to single and the slower speed limit. Yes, damn deer!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I noticed that through Indiana/Michiga, the speed limit is 70mph and everyone really goes no more than 75.

Ya right, maybe in a construction area!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline

Ya right, maybe in a construction area!

Nope, the speed limit drops to 60 in the construction areas (which is crazy to me because i'm from chicago and the NORMAL speed limit posted is only 55 lol) and people typically go 65-70 then. I do too, unless I actually see guys working in the road, then i drop below 60. There are speeders just like any highway in any state, but there's a lot less of them there. If you go to chicago, everyone is passing everyone if every lane because no one in their right mind goes 55 except the elderly.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Nope, the speed limit drops to 60 in the construction areas (which is crazy to me because i'm from chicago and the NORMAL speed limit posted is only 55 lol) and people typically go 65-70 then. I do too, unless I actually see guys working in the road, then i drop below 60. There are speeders just like any highway in any state, but there's a lot less of them there. If you go to chicago, everyone is passing everyone if every lane because no one in their right mind goes 55 except the elderly.

omg so true..i hate the drivers here in Chicago. they are just so damn rude! worst thing is we don't have a working horn on the car so i'm yelling and swearing half the time when i drive.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

omg so true..i hate the drivers here in Chicago. they are just so damn rude! worst thing is we don't have a working horn on the car so i'm yelling and swearing half the time when i drive.

Oh I just do the yelling and swearing for fun.

My husband spends a lot of time face palming in the car with me.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Oh I just do the yelling and swearing for fun.

My husband spends a lot of time face palming in the car with me.

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA! That's funny!!!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

I've barely been in the US long enough to really miss a lot outside of family and friends, but being here nearly 4 months has allotted me to notice subtle things I truly miss:

CBC News is high up there. The national news down here seems to have a little too much entertainment value and less of what's actually going on. I understand the difficulties of this and needing to appeal to the largest audience, but still.

Hockey whether it's NHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL doesn't matter I just miss hockey and I wasn't much of a fan to begin with. I suppose I was desensitized by TSN's 24 hour coverage of the sport, but I find myself getting nearly aroused when ESPN makes mention of hockey which happens about once a month at best.

Loonies and Toonies. Dollar bills are so incredibly annoying.

Maynards Candy specifically Cherry Blasters and Fuzzy Peaches.

My cell phone bill. I was in the sales business up north and I remember people complaining about cost in Canada about how much more we were paying than Americans do. Well, I paying one and a half times what I was in Canada for less data. Sure I have unlimited minutes, but I barely use 300 a month.

Timeline

I've barely been in the US long enough to really miss a lot outside of family and friends, but being here nearly 4 months has allotted me to notice subtle things I truly miss:

CBC News is high up there. The national news down here seems to have a little too much entertainment value and less of what's actually going on. I understand the difficulties of this and needing to appeal to the largest audience, but still.

Hockey whether it's NHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL doesn't matter I just miss hockey and I wasn't much of a fan to begin with. I suppose I was desensitized by TSN's 24 hour coverage of the sport, but I find myself getting nearly aroused when ESPN makes mention of hockey which happens about once a month at best. you can find big coverage only when the stanley cup is on lol

Loonies and Toonies. Dollar bills are so incredibly annoying. I will still never understand this. I prefer my purse to weigh less than 10lbs LOL

Maynards Candy specifically Cherry Blasters and Fuzzy Peaches. we have sour patch kids!

My cell phone bill. I was in the sales business up north and I remember people complaining about cost in Canada about how much more we were paying than Americans do. Well, I paying one and a half times what I was in Canada for less data. Sure I have unlimited minutes, but I barely use 300 a month. i'd be curious to know what you have/who you are with because this doesn't sound right.

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.