moemac59

What do you miss most about Canada

188 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your going to have to drive to the DC area for ur Wegmans fix then,lol I was surprised how huge the Wegmans in Fairfax VA is! Pretty neat. They even had Tim Hortons ground coffee--which never tastes like the real thing!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh Gosh, Krikit.

You are not making me very excited for POE! I'm going to die a horrible death on the Florida roadways, and none of my family will be there for my funeral!! :blink:

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from Chicago, we're all by far very very offensive drivers.

But i'm also extremely defensive.

Also, my husband has names for all of the road signs

I LOVE CHI-TOWN and am a Bears fan...my poor hubby is a Bill's fan. I always tell him that he should cheer for a winning team instead of a bunch of losers like the Bills. There is no better place than CHI-TOWN...ran the marathon in 06,07 and 2010...loved it and they know how to do it right! Unlike Toronto where cars and drivers just yell at you to get off the road.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Timeline

Krikit, what Wegmens location do you shop at? The Wegmen's that I have been to in Buffalo and Rochester don't have the best selection of cheese so I would like to know which Wegmen's does...don't mind driving even if it is 2 hours away just to get my cheese fix

You're going to have a long drive because I'm in Metropolitan DC. :lol:

I'm told by my bank that there are a lot of Canadians here, so that may explain why we've got the good cheese. Ask your Wegmans to consider getting some in. In the supermarkets in Florida they told us all the time that if we asked they'd order it.

iagree.gif

Your going to have to drive to the DC area for ur Wegmans fix then,lol I was surprised how huge the Wegmans in Fairfax VA is! Pretty neat. They even had Tim Hortons ground coffee--which never tastes like the real thing!

The newest one is by us. And it's, by far, the best. They have the most amazing bistro in the store. The prices are not profit-based, and there is no tipping allowed. And the food is fantastic! And that's high praise coming from me. You can even have a glass of wine or beer. Or you can pick your own drinks from the store, or items from the seafood or meat counter, and they will cook it to order.

Oh Gosh, Krikit.

You are not making me very excited for POE! I'm going to die a horrible death on the Florida roadways, and none of my family will be there for my funeral!! :blink:

Just take that phrase "Watch out for the other guy" literally. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I've been told that the Wegmans in Hamburg is the best, though I've never been to it. In Buffalo, I usually go to the one by Boulevard Mall. It has a good selection.

Boo that sucks..thanks for the tip. I will check out both.

By the way, when did you go for your interview at the consulate? Was it on the 25th on April? I seem to recall chatting with a girl who was moving to DC so I am wondering if that was you?

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

No, not me. I've been here six years. Four in Florida and two in DC.

Aah okay.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

I've been told that the Wegmans in Hamburg is the best, though I've never been to it. In Buffalo, I usually go to the one by Boulevard Mall. It has a good selection.

Here it is. You could give the cheese deli a call if you don't want to drive without knowing first. I hear McKinley Mall is nice also.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomepageView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&clear=true

I think I've just convinced myself to stop there on my next drive up. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I LOVE CHI-TOWN and am a Bears fan...my poor hubby is a Bill's fan. I always tell him that he should cheer for a winning team instead of a bunch of losers like the Bills. There is no better place than CHI-TOWN...ran the marathon in 06,07 and 2010...loved it and they know how to do it right! Unlike Toronto where cars and drivers just yell at you to get off the road.

I used to help with the chicago marathon about 12 years ago!

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate the 401 (in the city center), especially the Don Valley. People on Ontario highways do not know how to respectfully drive. I avoid them like the plague. Also, I think the US highways are designed better, save for the confusing turnpikes. I hate how the 401 constantly merges whole lanes off, and you constantly have to keep moving over. US highways all seem to be the same, get over or you're screwed, but like I said, people in Ohio move on over lol so it's not a problem.

Also.. I will miss kilometers too!!!! The drive seems like it is so much longer when you see less progress haha. 120 miles to Dayton... 110 miles to Dayton, I'm like, what! That took forever!

Timeline

I used to help with the chicago marathon about 12 years ago!

Lucky you! I'm jealous. The whole race is so well organized and to run in a city like that was amazing. I loved how the crowds would go 30 people deep at some points. Great, great city!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I hate the 401 (in the city center), especially the Don Valley. People on Ontario highways do not know how to respectfully drive. I avoid them like the plague. Also, I think the US highways are designed better, save for the confusing turnpikes. I hate how the 401 constantly merges whole lanes off, and you constantly have to keep moving over. US highways all seem to be the same, get over or you're screwed, but like I said, people in Ohio move on over lol so it's not a problem.

Also.. I will miss kilometers too!!!! The drive seems like it is so much longer when you see less progress haha. 120 miles to Dayton... 110 miles to Dayton, I'm like, what! That took forever!

Get over or you're screwed:

25f56c8.jpg

Edit: Google Earth clearly took that at some crazy obscure time because I've NEVER seen that little of cars on that road, just FYI

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Wyler's italian ice pops... idk if the US sells these, but I can occasionally find them at my freshco for a dollar and they are amazing... /continues to enjoy

Also, people say our dollar trees in the US are awesome.

I'm sorry, but dollar stores in the US suck.

The dollarama stores up here are awesome and they even have nice stuff!

Which brings me to Ronnie's Jumbo seasoned sunflower seeds.

Idk if the US has these either but they are AMAAAAZING

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.