Mariana17

Dennied under 212 a 6 c 1 !! DON'T KNOW HOW TO PROVE I DIDN'T DO IT!

55 posts in this topic

"Living" in the US isnt an issue I believe. For example, Parents come live with their kids on tourist visas for the 6 months that they can plainly stating that that is the reason for their visit. As long as they dont intend to look for a job, or stay there permanently, become a public charge or are going their for other hidden reasons.

But yea, applying for a job and entering on tourist visa, giving your SSN to the employer, big no no. I doubt a scratched SSN is the issue, but maybe it raised suspicion?.

Are you sure about that? Tourists come to visit, not live in the US.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

No I'm not sure, especially in the case of young people. I dont know any young person who just goes to the US to live with/ visit someone for months every year. But i was thinking with regards to how it is maybe in theory ok, since older people, who're given 10 year visas and live with their kids/grandkids for months at a stretch every year. You are essentially visiting your family and travelling a bit.

NOA1: July 18th, 2012

Touched: July 23rd, 2012

No RFE! So Happy :)

NOA2: Jan 25th, 2013 (191 days)

<b> Interview : 15th March 2013 APPROVED</b>

Visa in Hand: 22nd March 2013

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Best advice I can give you, as others have as well, is consult with a lawyer. They will better be able to help you to see what you can do and where you stand.

Filed: Timeline

If you're admitted as a tourist, you don't work and you leave before your I-94 tells you to leave this shouldn't be a problem. It might cause trouble when re-entering or applying for another non-immigrant visa, but as far as an immigrant visa goes, you haven't done anything illegal - You've just covered yourself with big fat "immigrant intent" stickers.

As far as the social security card goes - I have a "Not authorized to work without DHS approval" social security card. I haven't tried to scratch it, but I can say almost for certain that that sentence does not scratch off without the card looking completely mangled - It would be like trying to scratch the "20" off of a $20 bill.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I was denied under 212 (a) (6) © (i) section but it's all a misunderstanding and that's why I'm so upset about all this. I don't want to sound like a victim but is not fair what I'm going through ..

I was on a student exchange visa in the USA when I met muy fiancè... then When my student visa expired my boyfriend invited me to stray with him for a few months while He was off. So I came back to Mexico and went back to the US on my Tourist visa (that I got 6 years ago). I basically moved in with my boyfriend .. but I never wanted to have problems with immigration so, I never overstayed my tourist visa.I would leave the USA every 2,3,4 and even 5 months to return to my country IN ORDER TO KEEP MY TOURIST VISA.

I was not allowed to work on a tourist visa so I didn't work while I was there... my boyfriend took care of me the whole time, he paid for everything. He even gave me money to pay off my credid cards in Mexico.my phone, gym membership,clothes,EVERYTHING....

I stayed with him for 1.5 years ( left the US every 2 months or so ,as I have explained above) and I was aready tired of my situation in that country. Even though He gave me money anytime I needed something.. I didn't like that- but I was not supposed to work on my tourist visa so. I didn't even think about getting a job back then.

My boyfriend asked me to go on a trip with him so we did..it was our third trip together, but I told him that it would be the last time I was commign back to the USA with him.. I couldn't live that life forever not having money for anything.. or living on another country on that status.

I was not gonna ask him to marry me ofcourse..but I also felt it was time for me to settle down, get a job, and hopefully get married and have my own family.

I dated him for 2 years. and I was doing all those things such as leaving my family ,friends and country behind to be with him.. I felt lonely the whole time I was in the USA. I had my boyfriend but still I didn't have a life, because he went back to work eventually and I would take care of his house and our dog but nothing else... I was so sad bc I didn't knwo what was the best thing to do.. I didn't want to leave him because I am in love with him and just don't imagine my life without him on the other hand I was ALONE! HAVING NO FAMILY,FRIENDS NOR A JOB..I was always depressed. because I didn't see my relationship going anywhere back then.. (I felt that my boyfriend didn't feel like we should get married since I was living with him already).He probably thought I could live in the US with him forever..IDK

One day my boyfriend and I went to the lake to check on his boat, andI felt into the water with my purse on. everything I had in my wallet got wet, but I was too upset that I got wet that I didn't even care abt my stuff in the wallet. I didn't take anything out of my wallet that day, the next day I was taking my stuff out of the wallet and had my SOCIAL SECURITY CARD IN MY HANDS.. (I GOT A SSC WHEN I WAS ON A STUDENT VISA)the SSC was ofcourse not VALID FOR WORK.

So I was with my boyfriend when I said to him that: everything would be easier for me if I had a SSC valid to work so I could actually have a life here and stay with you.

He never understood why I was given that SSC if I was not an american citizen and He thought that the card it was not real at all... since it had that valid for work ONLY WITH AUTHORIZATION thing on it.

He takes my SSC and went into the bathroom with it.. I asked him what was he doing but He just told me not to worry. then He gave me the SSC but it was changed. HE DID SCRATCH OFF THE VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH AUTHORIZATION THING...then he said.. NOW YOU CAN STAY WITH ME FOREVER! YOU DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE EVER! ANDHE SMILED...

I was SOOOOOO ANGRY I KNOW HE DID SOMETHING WRONG AND EVEN WORST WITHOUT MY CONSENT!!! But He was just trying to make me feel better I guess, He knew I never used that SSC anyway so He didn't think it was such a big deal that He changed it... anyway.. nothing happened.. I just forgot about it and kept my card with me in my wallet..

HUGE MISTAKE!!!!

Since I was ready to come back to my country and settle down.. I decided to get a babysitter job just to make some money for the holidays.. Like I said before I didn't have a penny, I stayed with my boyfriend for almost 1.5 years and I was SICK OF MY FINANCIAL SITUATION... never had money to buy him christmas,valentines or Birthday gifts EVER!! same thing to his family.. never brought anything with us everytime we came over his parent'¡s house.. because I DID NOT HAVE MONEY.. (NEVER WORKED). So I'm thinking.. I'm going back to Mexico in 3 months, so maybe I should get a temporary job just to make money for the hilidays and I did... I applied to get a nanying job...

I got the job.. but I was supposed to start a week after our return to the US from our last trip together... which didn't happen... because immigration officers noticed I was spending too much time in the USA and decided to go though my stuff at the airport... they found out I was planning on getting a job. and foun out about my SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AS WELL.. so they sent me back home and took my TOURIST VISA AWAY... It's been almost 11 months and I'm still in Mexico.

My boyfriend came to see me a week after I was sent back home (10 months ago) and asked me to marry him so that we could be together.so He sent in the fiance application and had my interview 2 weeks ago the officer asked me why did I have that ssc with me.. I got too nevous and I just told them that the SSC got wet when I was in the lake with my boyfriend I didn't tell him that MY BOYFRIEND CHANGED IT.. ofcourse I didn't know what to say..I got denied under 212 a 6 c 1 section..

and now I'm requesting a waiver... WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I'M SO CONFUSED.. IT'S NOT FAIR... I didn't dot it. my only mistake was to to fall in love with an american citizen?? my boyfriend did but He was just joking around trying to make me feel better... what should I tell immigration next time the ask me??? PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ADVICE...

I DID NOT USE THE SSC EVER.. THEY COULD TYPE IN their system THE NUMBERS AND CONFIRM THAT I NEVER USED IT TO GET A JOB OR ANYTHING.. I SWEAR I NEVER USED IT.. EVER!!!!

I HAS TOURIST VISA SINCE I WAS 21 AND WENT TO THE USA MANY TIMES AND NEVER TRIED TO STAY OR LIVE THERE.. THEY SHOULD CHECK THEIR RECORDS... IT WAS NEVER MY INTENTION TO WORK IN THE USA.. BUT EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN I MET MY BOYFRIEND.. I NEVER TRIED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT SSC... WE JUST WANTED TO BE TOGETHER ... PLEASE HELP!!!

Uhm, here's a question! If you didn't have some nefarious intent why would you KEEP the wet damaged/altered out of date SS card in the first place? You said it was from your student visa... Then you should have chucked it when that ended. Why would you be 'mad' your boyfriend altered an expired SS card that should have been tossed in the bin a while ago? Something is not adding up. If you are just testing out your story here, well, I don't think immigration is going to buy it.

event.png

I-129F Sent: 1-23-12

NOA1: 2-6-2012

RFE: 8-16-2012

RFE Received by USCIS: 8-28-2012

NOA2: 10-17-2012

Packet 3 Sent: 11-14-2012

Medical: 11-19-2012

Interview: 1-24-2013 - Approved!

Uhm, here's a question! If you didn't have some nefarious intent why would you KEEP the wet damaged/altered out of date SS card in the first place? You said it was from your student visa... Then you should have chucked it when that ended.

Maybe because the SSN is given once and for the whole lifetime (maybe she didn't have it written anywhere else)?

She could use the number again, if she'd do all the immigration things the right way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Maybe because the SSN is given once and for the whole lifetime (maybe she didn't have it written anywhere else)?

She could use the number again, if she'd do all the immigration things the right way.

Uhh, no. She said she got it on a student visa. I am pretty sure you aren't intended to keep that SS card for years afterwards. It would be outdated and invalid. When she applied for her K-1 visa, was approved, and then filed for her AoS she should be issued a new SS card. And if it was wet/damaged/mangled/altered then she really should have tossed it...

event.png

I-129F Sent: 1-23-12

NOA1: 2-6-2012

RFE: 8-16-2012

RFE Received by USCIS: 8-28-2012

NOA2: 10-17-2012

Packet 3 Sent: 11-14-2012

Medical: 11-19-2012

Interview: 1-24-2013 - Approved!

Uhh, no. She said she got it on a student visa. I am pretty sure you aren't intended to keep that SS card for years afterwards. It would be outdated and invalid. When she applied for her K-1 visa, was approved, and then filed for her AoS she should be issued a new SS card. And if it was wet/damaged/mangled/altered then she really should have tossed it...

Why would she be issued a new card, the number doesn't change. There was no legal reason for the Op to destroy the card, it's never outdated or invalid. The reason behind usage may no longer be invalid, but the card itself is still a good document.

If you're admitted as a tourist, you don't work and you leave before your I-94 tells you to leave this shouldn't be a problem. It might cause trouble when re-entering or applying for another non-immigrant visa, but as far as an immigrant visa goes, you haven't done anything illegal - You've just covered yourself with big fat "immigrant intent" stickers.

As far as the social security card goes - I have a "Not authorized to work without DHS approval" social security card. I haven't tried to scratch it, but I can say almost for certain that that sentence does not scratch off without the card looking completely mangled - It would be like trying to scratch the "20" off of a $20 bill.

Okay, first of want to let you all know that I don't think scratching or not scratching makes too much difference. I have been a student in US for two years, and have a similar SSN card (which basically allows the holder to work ONLY when approved by the agency who sponsored visa, and obviously ONLY during the time that particular student visa hasn't expired). However I want to let you all know, that when I applied for jobs during my student years, no one ever asked me for a physical SSN card, all they needed was the number. Therefore I am sure scratching the text on it wouldn't be that much of a problem if OP wasn't trying to apply for a job [ illegally ] using it.

04/14/2012 - I129-F sent out

04/20/2012 - NOA1 receipt date

04/24/2012 - NOA1 (email/text) received

04/27/2012 - NOA1 hard copy

10/15/2012 - NOA2 receipt date

10/16/2012 - NOA2 (email/text) received

event.png

event.png

Why would she be issued a new card, the number doesn't change. There was no legal reason for the Op to destroy the card, it's never outdated or invalid. The reason behind usage may no longer be invalid, but the card itself is still a good document.

are

I would still suggest her destroying it given it is a physical prove she (or her boyfriend) tried to use it to conduct illegal action. I mean if it had any other scratches, it would be different, but I can picture her applying for a waiver, where all these stories about her attempts to get an illegal job are gonna be discussed, and then someone bringing up this document, which is a direct prove that YES, SHE DID TRY to alter the card to make her illegal action work. So, I think not having this on her way would be helpful.

Also, like I mentioned in my previous comment, I also have a SSN card with that job restriction on it, and they told me at the US Embassy that once I get my green card, they are going to replace the SSN card with a new one - which doesn't have that restriction any more. Just to let you guys know that the number stays the same, but they do refresh the card every now and then whenever important variables change.

04/14/2012 - I129-F sent out

04/20/2012 - NOA1 receipt date

04/24/2012 - NOA1 (email/text) received

04/27/2012 - NOA1 hard copy

10/15/2012 - NOA2 receipt date

10/16/2012 - NOA2 (email/text) received

event.png

event.png

are

I would still suggest her destroying it given it is a physical prove she (or her boyfriend) tried to use it to conduct illegal action. I mean if it had any other scratches, it would be different, but I can picture her applying for a waiver, where all these stories about her attempts to get an illegal job are gonna be discussed, and then someone bringing up this document, which is a direct prove that YES, SHE DID TRY to alter the card to make her illegal action work. So, I think not having this on her way would be helpful.

Also, like I mentioned in my previous comment, I also have a SSN card with that job restriction on it, and they told me at the US Embassy that once I get my green card, they are going to replace the SSN card with a new one - which doesn't have that restriction any more. Just to let you guys know that the number stays the same, but they do refresh the card every now and then whenever important variables change.

Nellie/Jason,

1. First to answer your question, the OP had no reason to destory her SS because she was no longer a student. Second, to destory the leave the card was and is not the issue. The card carries valuable information.

2. A ss card is not something that the average america replaces every year, therefore most peopel have their orginal card from birth or when they first applied for it.

3. You are lookig and talking about an end process the GC. The GC was not a point of discussion in the OP's life until after the Gchad been alternated.

4. The Look or feel of the SS card is NOT the issue, what is the issue is what the OP did regarding her B2 visa and what activities she participated in.

5. The look and feel of the card is not the issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

Thank you guys... I tottaly agree with you Vanesa & Tonny, It was MY MISTAKE TO CARRY ON THAT SSC IF IT WAS USELESS ... YOU ARE RIGHT... I'M SO STUPID FOR HAVE DONE THAT.. ON THE OTHER HAND.. I DON'T WANT MY BOYFRIEND TO GET IN TROUBLE..BUT I THINK IS NOT FAIR THAT'S HAPPENING TO ME.. I NEVER USED IT... IT WAS MY BOYFRIEND'S MISTAKE THAT HE ALTERED THE CARD AND MY MISTAKE THAT I KEEP IT... I CANNOT PROVE HE DID IT, BUT IT WASN'T RIGHT EITHERWAY... I'M SO MAD AT MYSELF... I DID EVERYTHING TO BE WITH HIM.LEAVING EVERYTHING BEHIND TO BE WITH HIM,AND NOW.. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN. I DON'T THINK THAT A LAWYER CAN HELP ME.. AS FAR AS I KNOW LAWYERS JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY BUT DON'T HELP THAT MUCH... PLUS THEY ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE... I'M KINDA UPSET THAT MY BOYFRIEND PUT ME THROUGH THIS SITUATION I MEAN, HE SHOULD JUST MOVE TO MY COUNTRY BUT UNFORTUNATELY HE HAS A SON AND HE CANNOT LEAVE HIM.... I'M SO DEPRESSED AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO...

YES THEY DENIED ME BECAUSE OF THE SOCIAL SECURITY CARD... I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG... AND THERE IS NO WAY THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHIGN ELSE...I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW THAT WAIVER THING WORKS... THAN YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS I TRULY APPRECIATE IT.

In this case a lawyer is your only hope. This is NOT a do-it-yourself-er. Most will at least give a free consultation. But the truth that everyone seems to skirt around, lawyers included, is that immigrating to this country (or petitioning to bring a foreigner here) is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. You lost your privilege by violating the law and getting caught doing it. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

To the OP: Time to lawyer up and face the music. You are an adult, and as such, are responsible for your actions. I wish you luck. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Uhh, no. She said she got it on a student visa. I am pretty sure you aren't intended to keep that SS card for years afterwards.

I was speaking about SSN (as: number) not the SS card.

If she didn't write this number anywhere else, she might want to keep her card (even if it was void already), just to have her SS number.

Semantics.

She would be issued a new card sicne the other can got "destroyed" in the lake. The numbe rremains the same.

Nellie/Jason,

1. First to answer your question, the OP had no reason to destory her SS because she was no longer a student. Second, to destory the leave the card was and is not the issue. The card carries valuable information.

2. A ss card is not something that the average america replaces every year, therefore most peopel have their orginal card from birth or when they first applied for it.

3. You are lookig and talking about an end process the GC. The GC was not a point of discussion in the OP's life until after the Gchad been alternated.

4. The Look or feel of the SS card is NOT the issue, what is the issue is what the OP did regarding her B2 visa and what activities she participated in.

5. The look and feel of the card is not the issue.

OP has every reason to destroy her card. She can get a replacement for free of charge. The num ber stays teh same, the do not work stays on teh new one but anyone can get a new card even if a fee.

OP, own up to your part of the dance. Everyone says Lawyer but that is costly and not having money is partly what got you into this debacle, good luck.

PS: A lot of relationship needs to learn from this post. Folks need to understand that you are still responsible for some certain things even if you're in a raltionship, wedded or otherwise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.