srj

Divorce and Red Flags

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My Fiance in China is stressing out over the fact her divorce was just final in the start of May. Her and her ex have been apart for four years, but she read somewhere on the internet that someone was denied in part because of divorce close to K-1 application. I am thinking there may be more to the story as to why some are denied.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts / knowledge about this.

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Well I am in the same situation you are. My fiance was separated for a while before we started dating and we've been together about 2 years before sending the application but his divorce wasn't finalized until May 31st our NOA1 for K-1 visa is June 27th. I was told not to worry it will be approved no problem from USCIS since the requirements are that both must be free to marry and that we must've seen each other in the last two years. We fit all those requirements the only place you should be nervous is the interview. That is where they can deny you thinking that the divorce is too close to the I-129F application date. I am going to bring his separation papers which states they had been separated for almost 3 years before they were officially divorced. I was told that we shouldn't have a problem bc we have documentation showing that the marriage was over way before not only the divorce but before we got together.

(I have asked this question to several different members and they all told me not to worry and to bring the documents showing they were separated prior to the divorce. Not sure about ur situation but the reason why it took so long for my fiance was that his ex wife didn't feel like spending money on a lawyer and didn't want to deal with the divorce.)

Good luck!

Edited by Lalo & Susana

event.png

event.png

Removal of Conditions
08/25/2015: I-751 Sent 08/28/2015: I-751 Delivered

09/04/2015: NOA1 Received 09/25/2015: Biometrics Appointment
TBA: Interview Appointment TBA: Removal of Conditions Approved

AOS
06/11/2013: I-485 & I-765 Sent
06/13/2013: NOA1 Received (AOS & EAD)
07/11/2013: Biometrics Appointment 08/15/2013: EAD Approved
08/26/2013: EAD Card Received 09/16/2013: Interview Waived Letter Received
11/20/2013: AOS Approved

K-1
06/21/2012: I-129F Sent 06/27/2012: I-129F NOA1

12/21/2012: NVC Received 12/28/2012: NVC Left
01/07/2013: Consulate Received 02/27/2013: Interview Date

03/05/2013: Visa Received 03/15/2013: US Entry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I sent in our I-129F 2 weeks after my divorce was final. I had been separated for 2 years - I was divorcing a divorce attorney so my divorce took a while to be final. I was very worried we would be denied since I only waited 2 weeks. It was not a problem. We were never asked about it - not even at our interview.

I know it is different for each country.

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some of our excellent China filers should happen along soon with meaningful information about your potential situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what date did you file the I-129F ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

My Fiance in China is stressing out over the fact her divorce was just final in the start of May. Her and her ex have been apart for four years, but she read somewhere on the internet that someone was denied in part because of divorce close to K-1 application. I am thinking there may be more to the story as to why some are denied.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts / knowledge about this.

Thanks

So long as they were legally separated you should be OK.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My ex and I were seperated for a number of years and remained best of friends so we never really felt the need to file for divorce. Then I met my fiancee and we looked into the K-1 and I realized I would have to file! I filed in June of 2011. In Calif it takes six months from when the repondent answers for the divorce to become final. My divorce was final December 29, 2011 and we filed our 129F on January 10, 2012. Was never an issue and never came up in the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most of the time the issue is people file the i-129f prior to divorce being final. For example, even though they divorced, they do not wait required WAITING PERIOD to be FREE TO MARRY, ie some states are 6 months!!. Be sure all waiting periods are complete, and your fiancee is FREE TO MARRY before you file the petition. Ask yourself this, is your fiance divorced and any waiting period complete to be free to marry? If you can't answer this question, do not file yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most of the time the issue is people file the i-129f prior to divorce being final. For example, even though they divorced, they do not wait required WAITING PERIOD to be FREE TO MARRY, ie some states are 6 months!!. Be sure all waiting periods are complete, and your fiancee is FREE TO MARRY before you file the petition. Ask yourself this, is your fiance divorced and any waiting period complete to be free to marry? If you can't answer this question, do not file yet.

Exactly. I was never "legally" seperated, just filed and waited the 6 months per Calif. law. We then filed our 129F 12 days after it was final and I was "free" to marry. Good luck!

Timeline

Although I was separated since 2010, and Divorce had been in process since Feb 2011, my divorce was not final until Nov 2011. I filed my initial 129F in December 2011, just two weeks after my divorce was final. At the final interview, just 9 days ago, did not cause a problem for my Fiancee.

event.pngJoanna (Ying) is from Zhu Hai, China
Met online June 2011,
First visit August 2011 for two weeks,
Second visit November 2011 for one week,
Sent I-129F in Dec 2011,
12-22-2011 - NOA1 Received
Third visit April 2012 for two weeks (met all her family! Lots of "Ganbei!!!" (cheers) with her brothers with 100 proof - whew!))
05-09-2012 - NOA2 Received
05-09-2012 - ???? - CSC accidentally sends approved NOA2 to a storage facility, then has to retrieve it - Auuggghh!!
07-02-2012 - NVC Received
07-26-2012 - Packet 3 returned
07-27-2012 - Packet 3 received (yes- one day after she already sent it in- mini short-cut)
08-09-2012 - Packet 4 e-mail received
09-04-2012 - Interview
09-19-2012 - Received Visa
09-28-2012 - Ying's POE date (Chicago O'Hare)
10-27-2012 - Married!!!
11-20-2012 - AOS forms sent to USCIS

12-26-2012 - Biometrics Appointment

02-10-2013 - Ying gets I-512 Combo work authorization and travel authorization advanced parole card

06-23-2013 - Ying returns to China to assist with completing son's K2 Visa

07-10-2013 - Ying's son, Zongyang, passes K2 Visa interview in Guangzhou

07-29-2013 - Ying's I-485 AOS is approved

08-03-2013 - Ying's 2 year green card arrives in mail (she's still in China with son)

08-08-2013 - Ying and Zongyang enter US, HK to Toronto to O'Hare

Timeline

re: China 'free to marry' - a PRC person is free to marry after the divorce decree is issued. Could get married in China same day as divorce, IIRC.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When the consular officer mentions that the timing between the divorce and the petition is a reason for denying the visa then there is a particular type of visa fraud they suspect.

If the beneficiary's divorce caused the denial then they suspect the beneficiary never really broke off the relationship with their foreign spouse, and obtained the divorce only so that they would be eligible to apply for a K1 visa. They suspect that the beneficiary will terminate the marriage with the US citizen petitioner at some point after obtaining permanent resident status in the US, remarry their foreign spouse, and then petition for their foreign spouse to immigrate to the US. In high fraud countries, where the beneficiary is recently divorced, there will always be some level of suspicion that this sort of fraud may be involved. They'll look for other evidence to support that assumption, such as evidence that the beneficiary and their ex-spouse were living as a married couple right up until the divorce was granted, or perhaps even after. If they find that there are aspects of the beneficiary's relationship with their ex-spouse that were being hidden from the petitioner then they may conclude the petitioner was being scammed. If they submit the bare minimum evidence required to get the visa then they may suspect the petitioner was in on the scam, especially if the petitioner is low income and there's evidence somebody else financed their trips. It would be useful to have evidence that the beneficiary and ex-spouse were living apart for some time before the divorce, such as separate household register books (Hukou books) showing they had different residences.

If the petitioner's divorce caused the denial then they may suspect the petitioner never really intended to permanently divorce their spouse, but did so only so that they would be eligible to submit a petition for a foreign fiancee. They suspect that the US citizen is a willing participant in a scam to help a foreigner immigrate to the US, and probably being paid for it. The consular officer will look for additional evidence to support this presumption, such as evidence that the petitioner and their ex-spouse are still living together, or that the petitioner's ex-spouse has temporary living arrangements that are being paid for by the petitioner or an "interested third party". They will also look carefully at the petitioner's finances. A petitioner with negligible income is more likely to be tempted to become involved in a scam like this. These "pay to play" visa scams can sometimes be worth $20K or more to a willing US citizen.

When you're dealing with a high fraud country, and there's a recent divorce involved, then you have to look at your situation and see if there's any evidence to support a consular officer's presumption that either of the above types of scams are being conducted, and consider what sort of evidence you might have that might help counter the derogatory evidence. It would be best if you could frontload your petition with the counter-evidence since it usually helps if questions about suspicious circumstances are answered to the CO's satisfaction before the interview.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

When the consular officer mentions that the timing between the divorce and the petition is a reason for denying the visa then there is a particular type of visa fraud they suspect.

If the beneficiary's divorce caused the denial then they suspect the beneficiary never really broke off the relationship with their foreign spouse, and obtained the divorce only so that they would be eligible to apply for a K1 visa. They suspect that the beneficiary will terminate the marriage with the US citizen petitioner at some point after obtaining permanent resident status in the US, remarry their foreign spouse, and then petition for their foreign spouse to immigrate to the US. In high fraud countries, where the beneficiary is recently divorced, there will always be some level of suspicion that this sort of fraud may be involved. They'll look for other evidence to support that assumption, such as evidence that the beneficiary and their ex-spouse were living as a married couple right up until the divorce was granted, or perhaps even after. If they find that there are aspects of the beneficiary's relationship with their ex-spouse that were being hidden from the petitioner then they may conclude the petitioner was being scammed. If they submit the bare minimum evidence required to get the visa then they may suspect the petitioner was in on the scam, especially if the petitioner is low income and there's evidence somebody else financed their trips. It would be useful to have evidence that the beneficiary and ex-spouse were living apart for some time before the divorce, such as separate household register books (Hukou books) showing they had different residences.

If the petitioner's divorce caused the denial then they may suspect the petitioner never really intended to permanently divorce their spouse, but did so only so that they would be eligible to submit a petition for a foreign fiancee. They suspect that the US citizen is a willing participant in a scam to help a foreigner immigrate to the US, and probably being paid for it. The consular officer will look for additional evidence to support this presumption, such as evidence that the petitioner and their ex-spouse are still living together, or that the petitioner's ex-spouse has temporary living arrangements that are being paid for by the petitioner or an "interested third party". They will also look carefully at the petitioner's finances. A petitioner with negligible income is more likely to be tempted to become involved in a scam like this. These "pay to play" visa scams can sometimes be worth $20K or more to a willing US citizen.

When you're dealing with a high fraud country, and there's a recent divorce involved, then you have to look at your situation and see if there's any evidence to support a consular officer's presumption that either of the above types of scams are being conducted, and consider what sort of evidence you might have that might help counter the derogatory evidence. It would be best if you could frontload your petition with the counter-evidence since it usually helps if questions about suspicious circumstances are answered to the CO's satisfaction before the interview.

According to my fiance, they have been separated for a couple of years. I do not quite understand the Hukou Books and how that would show separate household. If you can explain that a little more please.

Timeline

for seperated (not divorced) prc people, they have to GO to the civil registry office and have the hukuo changed. many people chose not to do that, thinking it's not needed .

when a divorce is granted, the hukuo book is updated or a new one is issued, depending.

if she was not free to marry when you filed the K-1, ie - not officially divorced from this fella - you should have some concern...

otherwise, be relaxed, a bit...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.