sittichai

What is a DECENT salary in America?

63 posts in this topic

ok..IRREGARDLESS OF THE FACTOR LIKE WHAT KIND OF JOB, WHAT LOCATION

CAN you provide a definite bracket for a salary that is the MEDIAN in America? like a middle class household income in America, what should it be???

pls provide figures....

I just want to establish and know where to put myself and what to expect

Jesus, why do you have to be soooooo rude....... that's the reason why I only read post and afraid to ask questions here anymore.................be more patient with immigrants ( I am included) our english may be not perfect

06/07/2004 Married

USCIS

01/07/2012 I-130 Sent

01/11/2012 NOA1

05/15/2012 NOA2 (No RFE)

NVC

06/19/2012 NVC Case # received by email

06/26/2012 Choice of Agent (DS-3032) sent to NVC by email

07/05/2012 Choice of Agent confirmed

06/19/2012 AOS fee bill invoice

06/27/2012 Payed AOS fee

06/28/2012 AOS fee Status shown as PAID

07/06/2012 IV fee invoice

07/23/2012 Payed IV Fee

07/25/2012 IV fee status shown as PAID

07/31/2012 DS 230 sent by FEDEX from Dominican Republic

08/01/2012 Package received in NVC

08/07/2012 Check list received by email (Financial Evidence missing)

08/17/2012 2nd Check list, information missing

09/11/2012 3rd Check list, proof of relationship between petitioner and householder member missing

09/20/2012 Case Complete

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sittichai has not been having a great time in America and definitely thinks things should be dealt with differently here..

Read here for a little more background

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

COmpletely depends on your location, your experience beyond your education, and how irreplaceable you will be to the company. If you go to an interview expecting after having calculated on what your salery would be based only on your experience, you're forgetting the 2 other factors.

Ask if the company offer any benefits. In the long run, you might be better off getting a dollar less an hour and sticking with the company with a better policy regarding vacation/paid holidays or insurance.

EDIT: I know I'm worth more than my current salary however building up the US resume is a factor to include in your calculation as well. I know some people lie on their resume which, IMO, is why you get 60 or 90 days to prove you're hired or fired. After that time if you've done a great job and proven to be irreplaceable and having the experience you claimed to have, you can always try to bump up your salary.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Sittichai has not been having a great time in America and definitely thinks things should be dealt with differently here..

Read here for a little more background

I personally dislike such language used against USCIS when bitching about one's timeline situation if only because there are others who are enduring even longer waits.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I like this thread...just preparing when i was there to find job or approx. the salary..thank you

:thumbs:

yeah me too..thanks to a lot of people replying..

COmpletely depends on your location, your experience beyond your education, and how irreplaceable you will be to the company. If you go to an interview expecting after having calculated on what your salery would be based only on your experience, you're forgetting the 2 other factors.

Ask if the company offer any benefits. In the long run, you might be better off getting a dollar less an hour and sticking with the company with a better policy regarding vacation/paid holidays or insurance.

EDIT: I know I'm worth more than my current salary however building up the US resume is a factor to include in your calculation as well. I know some people lie on their resume which, IMO, is why you get 60 or 90 days to prove you're hired or fired. After that time if you've done a great job and proven to be irreplaceable and having the experience you claimed to have, you can always try to bump up your salary.

thanks . that is true.

Edited by sittichai

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Use Google to search for the information you seek. That will get you better results.

Someone with a computer background needs some google-fu, IMO. There's all sorts of salary comparisons out there..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

so if 650 per week, multiple by 4 its only 2600 usd monthly... is that correct?

i like ur answer... straightforward.

how many years ago?

i am IT support engineer/helpdesk.. do u know a salary bracket for me? 7+ years all IT experience...

there is a website salary.com you can enter your area you live in the postion you are looking for and the level you are at and it will tell you what you can make at that job. There are alot of variables from where in the US you are living the company size the type of company etc but this will give you good information on that site

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I asked My DAD that question long time ago he said "Any amount more then your wife can spend!"

GOOD LUCK!

Lol, realistically, this is a good answer! :) thanks !

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Someone with a computer background needs some google-fu, IMO. There's all sorts of salary comparisons out there..

Nor does the computer background help you to be accurate with your information on your timeline. IMO, a wonderful indicator.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

i did. i wanted to here from a forum, not from google. google also gives u the forums.

I asked My DAD that question long time ago he said "Any amount more then your wife can spend!"

GOOD LUCK!

Oh this is so true and made me laugh out loud.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Just found this when I logged onto our company intranet website "...average median salary of less than $41,673.83, the national average wage index as calculated by the Social Security Administration."

Just remember that this is for ALL jobs in the US which include those CEOs making several millions of dollars.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I know this is subjective. I am just a new immigrant here in US. I have Computer background waiting for AOS & Green card. Can I know what is a DECENT salary here in US as a starter?

I dont have kids/dependents yet, me only and my hubby. Can someone give me a snapshot of decent salary in USA, means that its not LOW and not HIGH as well.

Thank you so much to those who will reply.

In which state and city are you located in the US?

Salaries vary across the nation, and as such, there isn't a national across-the-board decent salary.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.