dstrausser83

Pregnancy Help; Not Enough $$$; What to do?

95 posts in this topic

Single Dad, an lawful immigrant to the US has a sponsor who signs an affidavit of support agreeing that if the sponsored immigrant receives any means tested benefits the sponsor can be sued by the government to repay. Please stop advising persons to seek assistance that might get them in serious financial trouble down the road. This board is for legal immigrants and persons seeking the legal way to immigrate, attend school, visit, etc.

:thumbs:

Should report him to the moderator.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Right, well she is not Mexican. She is Peruvian. We live on the border with San Diego so that I can maintain my career so that doesn't help us either. Thanks for your advice guys. I am starting to think I am just royally screwed.

Plus having my child born out of America disqualifies them from President of the USA.... Yes, its a long shot, but who I am to limit his path. I want all doors open ;)

No, it does not. The Constitution says that only natural-born (as opposed to naturalized) citizens can become president. As a child of a US citizen, your baby would be a natural-born citizen (provided that you have the residence requirements required by the law). Just to give you an idea, McCain was born in Panama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Yep, a person has to be born on US soil. McCain was born on a US military installation which is considered (although open to debate) as US soil. Even my daughter who was born in a German hospital to two US parents cannot ever become president because she was not born on US soil.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

when u say Legal Aid, is it "Legal Aid Society"?

The name is different depending on each state. The wide spread name is Legal Aid but in in my state is it called "[state name] Legal Services Program".

Life is beautiful

Filed: Timeline

I whole-heartedly agree. And don't forget seekers of legal immigration who may be illegal/unsponsored. They belong on the board just as well, and deserve humane treatment in every topic

Single Dad, an lawful immigrant to the US has a sponsor who signs an affidavit of support agreeing that if the sponsored immigrant receives any means tested benefits the sponsor can be sued by the government to repay. Please stop advising persons to seek assistance that might get them in serious financial trouble down the road. This board is for legal immigrants and persons seeking the legal way to immigrate, attend school, visit, etc.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

have you priced out medical care in Mexico, where you reside?

she is pregnant, its a pre-existing condition. When we called we were told we would be denied coverage due to being pregnant. Please remember in all of this.... she was on birth control and when she switched brands due to availability in Mexico is when she got pregnant... We were trying to avoid this situation.

My wife used AIM it is a low cost pregnancy insurance. it only cost her $800.00 for the whole term and you don't have to be legal. http://www.aim.ca.gov

ROC

07/13/2011: I-751 mailed

07/14/2011: NOA date

07/18/2011: Check cashed

07/19/2011: NOA Copy Received

07/27/2011: Biometrics letter date

07/28/2011: Biometrics letter received

07/29/2011: Early Biometric Walk in

08/15/2011: Original Biometrics appointment at 12.00PM not attended

08/12/2011: Card production ordered per Uscis email to my DROID x phone

08/17/2011: Got approval welcome letter in mail dated 08/12/2011

08/19/2011: Received green Card in mail

N-400

07/27/2012: Sent N-400 by mail

08/01/2012: NOA Date

08/03/2012: Check cashed

08/06/2012: NOA Copy Received

08/10/2012: Bio-metrics letter received

08/16/2012: Early Biometric Walk in @ 3:00PM

08/29/2012: Original Biometrics appointment 8:00AM not attended

09/10/2012: Text put in line for interview

09/28/2012: Text interview scheduled

10/05/2012: Interview letter received for 11/05/2012

11/05/2012: Interview

11/05/2012: N-400 interview. Approved!!!

11/13/2012: Notice Of oath Ceremony letter arrived

11/27/2012: Oath Ceremony @12:10pm Pomona Fairgrounds Pomona California

Timeline

Let me preface by saying I post this in a positive and constructive manner.

It seems yor are aware of the seriousness of her situation all the while ignoring the fact she might be better served by the health system in Mexico, where she would be treated with all the necessary care. It also seems to me that since she has anemia, it might indicate she is not doing her pre-natal care appropriately, for a doctor might prescribe simple vitamins - both inexpensive and readily available - for a simple case of anemia.

Again, I don't mean this in a judgmental manner. Whatever you do, as plan B, you might wish to consider what her options are in Mexico, lest you find yourself endangering the lives of mother and child by pursuing emergency treatment in the US at a point when it might be too late for both. With the medical history you disclose here, she should be under the care of a physician already.

I wish you well.

She is working on the anemia part. She has been on pre-natal vitamins for about a month now. This is just going off the initial blood test, please remember, she is only about 10/11 weeks pregnant, which we only found out 5 weeks ago.... its not like we can change the anemia overnight. She had that condition beforehand more than likely, possibly due to the myomas draining her body of what she needed. Her anemia may have improved since the last blood work, which was down when we initially found out.

Timeline

I work in Legal Aid and I now about Public Benefits, like Medicaid. This is how it works.

The is a special category for Pregnant Women. For a family of 3, the maximum income you can make is $3,182 (before taxes). It will cover all prenatal visits, delivery and the first year of post natal care. Illegal aliens are granted this type of Medicaid.

I have never dealt with a LPR applying for this type of Medicaid but my guess is that the may give it to her (if you are within the financial limits) but later pass the bill to the sponsor (you).

ER does handle deliveries but not the pregnancy appts. If you know your wife/girlfriend needs a C-Section, then my advice is that she gets the proper care in Mexico, where the doctors can monitor her condition. Do you actually plan to show up at an ER when she is in labor and tell the doctor that she needs a C-Section? They would have to operate without any medical records or history on their patient. How irresponsible is that!

I do not know if California has organizations that provide free or reduced prenatal care. I can tell you that I had two C-Sections and each cost a whooping $15,000.

You are not understanding what I am saying. Obviously we would bring our medical history with us. I have all test results & ultrasounds. Furthermore, somehow some way, I would make it so that she could see a OBGYN here in San Diego. Like I said, I can afford probably up to $100 a month. We will make it work. Mexico I believe would put us in a worse position as insurance isn't an option and either is payment plans with most Doctors (atleast the 2 we have seen so far). We aren't just going to "show up at a hospital". We are going to have things planned out and done the best to our ability in conjunction with our doctor or midwife.

No, it does not. The Constitution says that only natural-born (as opposed to naturalized) citizens can become president. As a child of a US citizen, your baby would be a natural-born citizen (provided that you have the residence requirements required by the law). Just to give you an idea, McCain was born in Panama.

McCain was born in Panama, yes, but in a military base, American soil.

My wife used AIM it is a low cost pregnancy insurance. it only cost her $800.00 for the whole term and you don't have to be legal. http://www.aim.ca.gov

I am looking into this now. This is VERY helpful. Thank you.

Edited by dstrausser83

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Several post removed for TOS Violations, some quoting and a few for going off topic. Stay on topic. Any further violations will lead to a thread ban.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I would advise you to not seek advice from people on Vj because instead of people saying they don't know or looking over they will give you advice on something that have no idea what they are talking about. Assistance is dependent by state. What you can do is contact your Health and Human Services explain your situation and they can tell you what you can or can not do. I'm also anemic and pregnant but she can get on iron supplements, and make sure to eat iron rich foods. I know a lot of women who are pregnant and have Anemia. Again don't take advice from people who are in shape of form able to speak on this matter. Why they think they should I have no idea. Congratulations on the baby and hope everything works out.

Yep, a person has to be born on US soil. McCain was born on a US military installation which is considered (although open to debate) as US soil. Even my daughter who was born in a German hospital to two US parents cannot ever become president because she was not born on US soil.

Wrong. First off, US military installations overseas are not US soil. After thirty years in the military, and seventeen of them overseas, I was briefed that at every installation. For example, american air bases in germany have a German base commander. Granted he does not get in the way of operations but it is a reminder that the base is a German air base on German soil. Same for Korea and other countries.

Second, you daughter is a Natural Born citizen. If you feel like it, read the text by the Congressional Research Service on the issue. Here is a cut and paste from their research.

The weight of more recent federal cases, as well as the majority of scholarship on the subject,

also indicates that the term “natural born citizen” would most likely include, as well as native

born citizens, those born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents, at least one of whom had previously

resided in the United States, or those born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent who, prior to the

birth, had met the requirements of federal law for physical presence in the country.

You can read the entire thing here.

Study of what is a Natural Born Citizen

Edited by DaveE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.