dstrausser83

Pregnancy Help; Not Enough $$$; What to do?

95 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Of course he should do his own consultation. The point is he shouldn't count on a midwife. I did a ton of research with my kids. There is no midwife in this country allowed to do c-sections and I have never heard of one that would take someone who they knew would need a c-section because of the risk of uterine rupture as is apparently his wife's condition. That said, maybe they're out there but these much cheaper than normal midwives are the ones practicing out of birthing centers and home, not in offices with expensive OBs.

Regardless, this is getting totally off topic. Does his wife even have the visa yet? They may not even grant it to her if she is pregnant and has no way to pay for it in the US.

It won't be a problem, she will get the visa. We are highly confident in that. Please see my previous post above about the spirit of this topic. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The point of this post was not to debate medical advice or how to have the baby or where. The point of this post is what options are available in the USA (as you suggested a midwife) for us, looking for people on the board who may have lived through this situation. Somewhere somebody got pregnant within 5 years of a fiancee visa that wasn't planned and I was trying to find out how they handled their case in lieu of having health insurance.

I AM in your situation. Almost exactly.

I told you how we were doing it :) and I broke down the costs.

Considering your wife needs a C-section OB care is probably the best way to go.

If we cannot afford our care here in the states, I will go home where the care is free.

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

I AM in your situation. Almost exactly.

I told you how we were doing it :) and I broke down the costs.

Considering your wife needs a C-section OB care is probably the best way to go.

If we cannot afford our care here in the states, I will go home where the care is free.

well the AIM program in California seems like it can be a VERY viable option for us, just I am about $850 short monthly to become qualified. It is an insurance offered by the state where you pay a portion of it as your deductible. I am going to have to find $850 more a month somehow so that we can get that.

Well when we filed for the I129F she wasn't pregnant. She was on birth control. They stopped selling her birth control in Mexico. We had to switch brands. She is pregnant, not the best timing for the pregnancy, but we are dealing with it accordingly.

I make enough money for her to come to the USA no problem. We need to come here now to get married. I have health insurance with my current job, but they only pay for mine. To add her onto my policy it will be an extra $475 a month, when the child is born to go into a family plan it will be an extra $900 a month. I only make $3k a month and after taxes its about $2,300. Rent in San Diego is about $1,000. Plus child support from my previous marriage ($350 a month). Its not enough to go around. Next year, financially I will be set. My commissions will start coming through and we won't have many more problems. I just got my degree, and I am working in a new industry and it takes about 12 - 16 months for the sales process to go through. So about 9 months or so, things will start looking good. My problem is though we need assistance with the pregnancy now, once we get into the United States due to her pregnancy. I don't know what to do since she won't qualify for anything when we get married. Her pregnancy really puts a wrench in our financial plans and while I can afford the baby, we won't have enough money to afford the birth and leading up to the birth.

What can I do. What type of options are available? I understand that when the child is born, that the birth will be covered under emergency medicare, but that's it. I can't afford the doctor appointments, medicines, or any other care. Any advice?

It is admirable that you got a degree and will be making good money eventually but millions of Americans face this same problem. Do you think you are the only one that must pay an outrageous amount of money for medical insurance for your family? We do what we have to do for our families, even if it means that sometimes we do not have "enough to go around".

I do not understand why some people in this thread are trying to get the American tax payers to foot the medical bills for this person. This is one of the reasons our country has a massive debt. Everybody wants something for free but someone has to pay for it. Oh, I forgot, the US government can just print up more money.:wacko: Unfortunately, I know I will be slammed for speaking the truth.

Edited by Mountain Climber

Timeline

It is admirable that you got a degree and will be making good money eventually but millions of Americans face this same problem. Do you think you are the only one that must pay an outrageous amount of money for medical insurance for your family? We do what we have to do for our families, even if it means that sometimes we do not have "enough to go around".

I do not understand why some people in this thread are trying to get the American tax payers to foot the medical bills for this person. This is one of the reasons our country has a massive debt. Everybody wants something for free but someone has to pay for it. Oh, I forgot, the US government can just print up more money.:wacko: Unfortunately, I know I will be slammed for speaking the truth.

That's why I am looking for an option like AIM where I can pay something myself. I am against (and have said previously in this thread) welfare, entitlements, and wealth distribution. I do believe that people that are doing all the right stuff and hits a bump on the road should have help, but I do think there is a general abuse of the system. Nobody is trying to get the American Taxpayers to foot the bill for me, they are trying to find a way that I can get the assistance I need. I am not sitting on a couch collecting a check. I never once asked for free anything. If everybody only used public system how I am seeking to use it (even able to pay some money a month) it would be one less reason our country is broke, unfortunately they don't.

Filed: Timeline

One can think of grander reasons than "the truth (according to you)". As the sergeant kept yelling: "you can't handle the truth"

The truth is that $10,000 that OP would/would not scrape up has nothing to do with 14 trillion deficit that those in command racked up. But 90% of this country's populous have no concept of a trillion. Repent, climber, and stay human. Maybe humanity is the one thing this government can't take from good people

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

One can think of grander reasons than "the truth (according to you)". As the sergeant kept yelling: "you can't handle the truth"

The truth is that $10,000 that OP would/would not scrape up has nothing to do with 14 trillion deficit that those in command racked up. But 90% of this country's populous have no concept of a trillion. Repent, climber, and stay human. Maybe humanity is the one thing this government can't take from good people

It all adds up starting with 1 dollar here, 5 dollars there, 100 dollars here, 500 dollars there. Come on, counting to 14 trilion is weak when you cannot comprehend doing the math with 2 plus 2. If all VJ members.. Well, if all Vj members who clicked like on fb owed 40.000 dollars, we'd be owing 32440000 dollars. That figure doesn't matter either? I'm pretty sure more than 3244 people owe 10.000 dollars or more in the US so saying it won't scrape up nothing is not logical. What IS logical is when no-one can get approved for medicaid or other benefits because the money is gone, lend out and not paid back.

It is not the government who made anybody have 10 creditcards and rack up a debt. Start looking at yourself instead of saying "it won't matter because if they do it, so can I". No wonder the economy gets worse, geesh.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

not my point. Point is how blind the population is to grand larceny up top. They'll be beating up poor dad day'n'nite and voting in officials who take trillions off the top. Anyone who thinks 14t (when it was just 2t not long ago) came from social programs, needs...medicaid

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

not my point. Point is how blind the population is to grand larceny up top. They'll be beating up poor dad day'n'nite and voting in officials who take trillions off the top. Anyone who thinks 14t (when it was just 2t not long ago) came from social programs, needs...medicaid

How politicians turned 2t into 14t according to you really has nothing to do with OP. But since you're at it, then yes. Illigal/undocumented people have access to certain benefits, this is even without having paid as much as a dollar into anything. Blind population? Blehh. Ignorant thought process when saying 10.000 doesn't matter because of [insert whatever reason you'd prefer]? Ding-ding-ding. If you're suggesting to just play by the same "grand larceny rules" as politicians, then I suggest you include that in your VAWA claim and see how far that'll get you as an upcoming lawful permanent resident.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

yes, justified frustration. what's unjustified: belittling people faced with life-and-death choices for the sake of looking "credible" - in front of whom? other inhumane posers. Stop attacking people who ask questions: that's what forum is for. If you don't want to assist - then don't take partisan stands. Family issues are not political, but rather humanitarian

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

yes, justified frustration. what's unjustified: belittling people faced with life-and-death choices for the sake of looking "credible" - in front of whom? other inhumane posers. Stop attacking people who ask questions: that's what forum is for. If you don't want to assist - then don't take partisan stands. Family issues are not political, but rather humanitarian

huh?

Somebody say something to deserve that?

It makes sense to build and assure a financial barrier between the most fragile of any population, children, and medical care, particularly preventative prenatal care.

/smh

OP, don't be so put off by medical care outside of the US. It's worth investigating. Top of the line care, pre- and post-delivery, and a little mental math comparing quality and cost will give you sticker shock. In either Peru or Mexico, you will be able to find it and you will be able to afford it.

President schmesident. Really.

not you, yours was useful unbiased post. But almost every topic has anti-humanistic scorecard. Look right above, the "highest-rated" posts are a common giveaway. People lynched for seeking assistance in unconventional situations

huh?

Somebody say something to deserve that?

Edited by SingleDad2usc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.