Janethscholar

Can a K1 visa be denied because of cancer? better getting married and then apply for a CR1?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello there!!! I am a Colombian girl, 41 years old, dating a USA citizen for 3 years and 8 months now. He is a dentist, I am a Professor, we lived together for one year while I was a visiting scholar in a University in Atlanta, I was a J1 and my daughter a J2. After that year my daughter and I returned to our country, requested a waiver of the two year home residency that was already granted by the USCIS. MY boyfriend and I decided to file for a fiancee visa, we got all the pictures, emails, flight tickets, etc. but before doing so, I was diagnosed with a stomach cancer, I went to surgery and they removed my whole stomach, no metastasis thanks God :) . I am right now going through chemo and radiation and will be done with the treatment at the end of October. We are planning to file for the K1 visa at the end of July but I am afraid that when I go through the medical exams they reject me because of my surgery and because on the Xrays they will see I have no stomach. I will need an advice if it will be better that my boyfriend comes to Colombia and we get married here to file immediately for a CR1 or if the fact that I went through cancer will be an obstacle. Anyone with a similar experience? I would love to hear from you, any help will be welcomed.

Janeth (F)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You will not be denied because of cancer.

K1 visa process
06/08/2011 I-129 sent
06/11/2011 I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)
09/23/2011 I-129F NOA2 (Approved)
10/11/2011 Package Received By NVC
10/11/2011 Package Left From NVC
10/16/2011 Received By Consulate
10/20/2011 Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)
11/09/2011 Complete Instructions (Pkt 3)
01/21/2012 Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)
02/21/2012 Interview Date (K1 Visa)
02/21/2012 Interview Result Approved
02/29/2012 K1 Visa Received

03/16/2012 US Entry
03/19/2012 Marriage

Our AOS process
03/29/2012 AOS I-485/ EAD I-765/ AP I-131 filed
04/04/2012 NOA1 for AOS/ EAD/ AP
04/23/2012 Case transferred
05/08/2012 Biometric Appt Date for AOS and EAD
06/01/2012 EAD and Ap approved
06/09/2012 EAD and Ap combo card received
08/24/2012 AOS Approved
09/09/2012 Green Card received with no interview

Removing Conditions

05/27/2014 I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center

05/30/2014 Package Received

06/02/2014 NOA1

07/07/2014 Biometrics Appointment

12/01/2014 case transferred for California service center

01/13/2015 Second Biometrics appointment

01/23/2015 case approved

01/31/2015 Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You won't be denied because of cancer, but if they think you could potentially become a public charge. IE: going on federal or state funded health care because of your illness, they could deny you. Sorry to hear of your struggle with cancer. Good luck!!!

thanks for your reply. Yes we thought about that because I will have to get a health care plan as soon as I get there and now I have a pre existence condition which makes difficult to be insured. Of course we are willing to pay the health care for cancer survivors, but I think you are right, at the interview the consul might say that I will be a charge for the country. In that sense will be better to get married here and then file the spousal visa...

thanks for your reply. Yes we thought about that because I will have to get a health care plan as soon as I get there and now I have a pre existence condition which makes difficult to be insured. Of course we are willing to pay the health care for cancer survivors, but I think you are right, at the interview the consul might say that I will be a charge for the country. In that sense will be better to get married here and then file the spousal visa...

The spousal visa will have the same issue. Does your husband have health insurance through his work? I would have him contact HR first and see what it would cost to get you covered - in many cases, employer health insurance policies are required to cover you regardless of pre-existing conditions.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

The spousal visa will have the same issue. Does your husband have health insurance through his work? I would have him contact HR first and see what it would cost to get you covered - in many cases, employer health insurance policies are required to cover you regardless of pre-existing conditions.

Yes, my boyfriend has health insurance through his work. I will ask him to find out about your suggestion, thanks a lot.

There is absolutely no difference in this regard between the spousal or fiance visa. Both have a medical with the same criteria.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS to K1 fiance visa forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yes, my boyfriend has health insurance through his work. I will ask him to find out about your suggestion, thanks a lot.

you would have to be married in order to get health insurance thru you boyfriends work. they do not give insurance to people who are fiances

you would have to be married in order to get health insurance thru you boyfriends work. they do not give insurance to people who are fiances

thanks, that is why I am starting to think that it is going to be better if we get married in my country, that way he will be able to cover me with his insurance, and then file for the spouse visa... :unsure:

thanks, that is why I am starting to think that it is going to be better if we get married in my country, that way he will be able to cover me with his insurance, and then file for the spouse visa... :unsure:

It's very unlikely that his insurance would cover your medical care in a different country. Be sure he reads through the policy information thoroughly to see what is/isn't covered and if there are any restrictions.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! the answer is NO. :) my fiance and i filed for K1 last November 2011. i was diagnosed with stage1 cancer last February 2012. had surgery last March. no metastasis was found.

I am already here in the US since June 13 :)

Hello there!!! I am a Colombian girl, 41 years old, dating a USA citizen for 3 years and 8 months now. He is a dentist, I am a Professor, we lived together for one year while I was a visiting scholar in a University in Atlanta, I was a J1 and my daughter a J2. After that year my daughter and I returned to our country, requested a waiver of the two year home residency that was already granted by the USCIS. MY boyfriend and I decided to file for a fiancee visa, we got all the pictures, emails, flight tickets, etc. but before doing so, I was diagnosed with a stomach cancer, I went to surgery and they removed my whole stomach, no metastasis thanks God :) . I am right now going through chemo and radiation and will be done with the treatment at the end of October. We are planning to file for the K1 visa at the end of July but I am afraid that when I go through the medical exams they reject me because of my surgery and because on the Xrays they will see I have no stomach. I will need an advice if it will be better that my boyfriend comes to Colombia and we get married here to file immediately for a CR1 or if the fact that I went through cancer will be an obstacle. Anyone with a similar experience? I would love to hear from you, any help will be welcomed.

Janeth (F)

Edited by jonathan&tee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.