34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

when i heard his announcement, first thing that came to my mind was:"thank God i got my EAD", because i can only imagine how long the wait it gonna be now.. i waited 59 days, but i think that's nothing comparing to what is going to happen.. and i'm one of the lucky ones, some people wait way longer.

event.png

Yeah, the 800,000 new applicants kind of got me concerned a lil bit. HOWEVER, after much thought, it just hit me.........this will affect the EAD application time-frame way more than ROC applications. The unique thing about ROC application is that you can only file at VSC or CSC.....this is unlike EAD applications where you are reviewed by your local offices.

I expect the 800,000 applications to be processed by local offices around the country, depending on where the applicant lives (kinda how is done with EAD applications). Obviously, some applications will be sent to Vermont, since it will be the local office for some people. CSC might actually slow down, due to the high number of applications that will be coming from Latinos in the state of California.

Hence, ROC applicants need not fear. I really hope I am right about this.....I filed in Jan, and would really need to get this over with! Cheers, my friends~~~

I don't understand why you are upset . You will receive an automatic 1 year extension of your 2 year card while you are waiting.

I think people react to the idea that everything is put on hold while all of this gets priority but that's not the case. There is still a flow and yes with ROC, we are here, we have filed, and we get NOA or stamped I 551 but we don't become illegal or face deportation. If the case isn't completed we continue to get extensions. Unless we are denied for some reason, which for all of us at this ROC stage, is incredibly unlikely...well unless you turn out to be an axe murderer or something, we are essentially waiting for the process to complete.

We're in a different place than those others discussed ie asylum, and specialized circumstances. My primary point was less about judgment of whether a policy should or should not be, although I have my own thoughts about this; but merely to point out that during the 2010 Haitian earthquake, many were concerned that the US administration was going to stop processing everyone but the folks in Haiti therefore delaying everyone's claims and petitions; but that was not the case and all just went along.

Have a groovy day ! :lol:

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, the 800,000 new applicants kind of got me concerned a lil bit. HOWEVER, after much thought, it just hit me.........this will affect the EAD application time-frame way more than ROC applications. The unique thing about ROC application is that you can only file at VSC or CSC.....this is unlike EAD applications where you are reviewed by your local offices.

I expect the 800,000 applications to be processed by local offices around the country, depending on where the applicant lives (kinda how is done with EAD applications). Obviously, some applications will be sent to Vermont, since it will be the local office for some people. CSC might actually slow down, due to the high number of applications that will be coming from Latinos in the state of California.

Hence, ROC applicants need not fear. I really hope I am right about this.....I filed in Jan, and would really need to get this over with! Cheers, my friends~~~

Think about how wages in blue collar industries will drop once a flood of 800,000 relatively unskilled "workers" join 10M AMERICANS looking for work....what's wrong with this picture? :bonk:

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well I hate to break it to you, but as of August 16th, ours will be at a year at VSC. It's kind of ridiculous because my husband can file for naturalization next month. Crazy!

Betsy El Sum

I remember those days were i was calling my wife on the phone everyday because she was half way around the world. I waited 9 months before she entered the united states. As long as she is here with me, i dont care how long it takes for her ROC to be approved. Things could be worse, like being separted from your spouse again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I would have loved to get my ROC in 8 or 9 months. Mine took 12 months - and that was back from February 2008 to February 2009. That was the normal rate back then. Getting them processed in 8 or 9 months means they have sped up the process in the last few years. I remember individuals who waited even longer than the usual 12 to 14 months. A number of them 'forced' the decision on their ROCs by applying for Citizenship since they were eligible. An ROC petition has to be approved before the Naturalization petition can be approved, so when the processing of the N-400 reached that stage it automatically triggered processing of the ROC.

I'm just saying that yes, it is difficult and frustrating to wait, and yes, USCIS is under-staffed and making do on the funds solely from users and not from tax-payers. There is always some crisis or another that people state will detract USCIS workers from working on their petitions. I would wait and see what happens - since you are waiting anyways - rather than lament that someone else might move ahead of you in line. Someone is always moving ahead off you in line at USCIS - and you are always moving ahead of someone else. It's the way the 'beast' is designed.

I would like to know who told you these people at USCIS work only from the funds paid by the fees charged from us the customer?? There is not a US Government that has ever operated from fees charged. If our present President could pull off something like that it would be a slam dunk reelection)))

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would like to know who told you these people at USCIS work only from the funds paid by the fees charged from us the customer?? There is not a US Government that has ever operated from fees charged. If our present President could pull off something like that it would be a slam dunk reelection)))

Actually, I believe this was a requirement set up by President Bush when USCIS became part of Homeland Security. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, it is so. Between 95 to 98% of USCIS funding comes from the fees paid by users. While I don't have the link at hand to the actual law in the Federal Register, here is a link to a news story based on the news release from USCIS in 2009 explaining why the fees were increasing because USCIS is mandated by law to be self-supporting from their fees and there had been a drop in applications. It is the only federal department that has this requirement:

http://articles.lati...ocal/me-immig24

To quote partially from the article:

Immigration officials consider more fee increases

Immigrant rights groups fear that further fee hikes would cut many out of the

citizenship application process. The immigration agency, which must be

self-supporting, faces a $118-million shortfall.

U.S. immigration officials are considering another possible round of fee increases and budget cuts next year, prompting concern among immigrant rights groups.Alejandro Mayorkas, the new director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, said during a visit to Los Angeles on Wednesday that "financial challenges" have caused the agency to consider potential fee increases but no decision has been made.

The agency is facing a $118-million revenue shortfall this year in part because applications for citizenship and skilled worker visas are below projections, according to officials.

Citizenship applications plunged to 58,000 last year from 254,000 the previous year in the Southern California district. Most experts blame the decline on a fee increase of 69% to $675 in 2007.

But immigration officials said the agency is required by law to be self-supporting and that the fee increase was required because a special congressional appropriation to help reduce application backlogs had run out.

To help close the shortfall, Mayorkas said, the agency has requested $206 million from Congress.

"It is financially responsible to examine all of the options that are available . . . as the agency confronts financial challenges," Mayorkas said.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.