Afrilaskan Queen

Forum Section for lawyers

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello VJ,

I used this website and the community here through the four year immigration ordeal we had and it was very helpful.

I just got to thinking that when people here need a lawyer to file their petition, or deal with a denial, people often ask -- where is a good lawyer. I suggest adding a new forum for people who have personal experience with good lawyers they would recommend. Almost everyone recommends Marc Ellis. I think it would be great to be able to write up a review just like you would an Embassy on this site. If there was a listing of the states/lawyers people may be able to weed out the bad lawyers everyone is afraid they will get.

What do you think?

~Afrilaskan Queen~

This has been mooted several times. I think the Captain should be rightfully wary of such a forum because of the potential for defamatory comments that could be posted.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

This has been mooted several times. I think the Captain should be rightfully wary of such a forum because of the potential for defamatory comments that could be posted.

Yeah, if there's one group you wouldn't want to irritate online, it's lawyers. I have a feeling any forum like that would be rife with negative stories since people will feel more compelled to write something negative than if the attorney was great and helped them through the process.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

It is one thing to post about ones you like another to post about evil ones.

Exactly. And while someone may open a topic about how awesome Attorney X was, someone else might post saying "Attorney X? What a lying scumbag!" And then we start wading into treacherous waters. It would require very active moderation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Exactly. And while someone may open a topic about how awesome Attorney X was, someone else might post saying "Attorney X? What a lying scumbag!" And then we start wading into treacherous waters. It would require very active moderation.

not to mention we'd probably need a lawyer on staff to consider ramifications of any posts.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Three letters from VJ history

U

P

L

Don't ever want to go back there again :(

;) exactly

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
;) exactly
Elaboration, huh man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Elaboration, huh man?

Unauthorized Practice of Law.

Laypeople representing themselves as experts.

Sound familiar?

*There's actually a whole lot more to it than that, which is the reason I've got such a distaste for certain things*

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

site owner lives 'not in usa' - so i never understood 'that' legal position.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hmmm i could moderate such a section i have experience in the field

If you read the reposnses you would realize that it isn't going to happen. So no need for a mod ( and they would pick a mod with several more years of VJ experience )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

site owner lives 'not in usa' - so i never understood 'that' legal position.

If a lawyer wants to bring an action against the site owner despite that site owner's non-US presence, the lawyer is free to do so. Even if it gets thrown out for being in the improper jurisdiction (for example), the Captain would still be wise to file an answer in court. Money, time, hassle. Better not to go down that road which doesn't seem to give much real benefit to users.

Furthermore, it might be possible for a lawyer to go after an individual member, which though not easy is at least theoretically possible. If that member was domiciled in the US, then jurisdiction becomes moot (though it could fail for other reasons). Not that any of this is easy to do, but this area of law is evolving. I might have a snoop around Westlaw tomorrow when I'm in the office.

It's best NOT to just go on the internet, see who's got the nicest/flashiest site or "lowest" fees, but to seek personal recommendations from others who have used them or from other attorneys. Or at the very least to go on Martindale.com to see who is highly ranked by their peers. I had to file a personal injury lawsuit last year and I took both those steps. So far I've been happy with my choice. And it's very important to keep on your attorney's back. They have heavy caseloads and if something can be left for a while since it has no deadline, it WILL be left. Trust me on this one.whistling.gif Be the squeaky wheel and ask for the grease!

If you read the reposnses you would realize that it isn't going to happen. So no need for a mod ( and they would pick a mod with several more years of VJ experience )

Not only that, but a mod with a legal background would be ideal in this situation. My guess is that rade2rising doesn't meet that criterion.