38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I talked to an officer (1st tier) who said it is impossible to get the AP/EAD without the AOS, IS THIS TRUE, I have read many posts and heard of many cases where VJ'ers received their EAD/AP cards but no AOS.

I had my biometrics back in January, and have not received anything. February 17 they received the request for Evidence and it is being processed at the National Benefits Centre in Lee's Summit, MO.

Do I still call the only number that is on all the documents: 1-800-375-5283 for any updates as my online status updates is proving futile, or do I just wait until Mid May, as the officer indicated it is still withing the normal processing times. or do I be proactive and CALL again.

My EAD and AP were processed back in December but looks like these are on hold until AOS if processed and approved, so is this still within normal processing times?

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions and advice.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you need the AP for travel you can make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office and likely get it.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

EAD and AP are DESIGNED to be approved prior to AOS... I feel this might just be a wording/explanation issue because I admit the way you're explaining it in your OP (with the term "get") is a little confusing to me as well... especially where you say you've read "many posts" where people haven't received AOS (their GC) and yet HAVE received EAD/AP... That implies (to me) you've read about a lot of AOS denials...

When you received the RFE it put everything on hold. Continuing to call doesn't help anything but you CAN make a service request if they are out of normal processing times.

If you want to keep calling that is up to you, at least that way you'll feel like you're doing something (in a process where you feel out of control). I would probably wait till mid-May though because you might be able to make a service request then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IM not sure if im understanding correctly but... EAD and AP are to be issued to the person BEFORE the AOS is approved. Thats the whole point of filing for an EAD and AP. They are approved and issued before AOS so that you can travel and work before your green card is approved and arrives. The EAD and AP is void when your green card is approved and the green card takes over the duty as your proof / permission to work and travel.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

IM not sure if im understanding correctly but... EAD and AP are to be issued to the person BEFORE the AOS is approved. Thats the whole point of filing for an EAD and AP. They are approved and issued before AOS so that you can travel and work before your green card is approved and arrives. The EAD and AP is void when your green card is approved and the green card takes over the duty as your proof / permission to work and travel.

thanks Inky...so I did read and understand correctly, that the EAD and AP are issued before th AOS is approved. I am very confused why the officer said that is impossible. Gosh, so many conflicting pieces of information. I guess if I need to travel I can arrange an appointment. I will wait till mid May and see if there is any word. Thanks again.

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Timeline

EAD and AP are DESIGNED to be approved prior to AOS... I feel this might just be a wording/explanation issue because I admit the way you're explaining it in your OP (with the term "get") is a little confusing to me as well... especially where you say you've read "many posts" where people haven't received AOS (their GC) and yet HAVE received EAD/AP... That implies (to me) you've read about a lot of AOS denials...

When you received the RFE it put everything on hold. Continuing to call doesn't help anything but you CAN make a service request if they are out of normal processing times.

If you want to keep calling that is up to you, at least that way you'll feel like you're doing something (in a process where you feel out of control). I would probably wait till mid-May though because you might be able to make a service request then.

I apologize for the confusion, but I am so confused. :unsure: I haven't read about AOS denials, only that many have received their EAD/AP cards, prior to their Greencards.

I will wait to mid May and hopefully get some kind of news, and if no news, then I will start the birage of calls!!! hopefully it wont get to that, I pray.

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can get AP and EAD without AOS. However, as a k-1 visa or K-3 visa AOS has to be done forinitial EAD and AP.

THe AP is needed if you are green card (lpr) and leaving the country for 6 months or more and plan on returning. It is also good to havefor emergencies while waiting on your GC. This also gives you evidence on good standing when as ked for

EAD can be renewed, but the initial one comes with AOS.

please note if filing separate though AP and EAD are separate costs. with initial AOS, they are part of the packet, either include in the packet, or the I797C notice from AOS.

I hope the RFE works out for you. Just ask yes and no questions when calling.Be specific, they cannot answer general questions.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I apologize for the confusion, but I am so confused. :unsure: I haven't read about AOS denials, only that many have received their EAD/AP cards, prior to their Greencards.

I will wait to mid May and hopefully get some kind of news, and if no news, then I will start the birage of calls!!! hopefully it wont get to that, I pray.

That's what I thought but the people you call at the 1800 "misinformation line" rely on exactly what you say so if you don't spell it out they're easily confused (and sometimes even when you DO spell it out :S).

You filed AOS, and EAD/AP so you should get EAD/AP soonish... hopefully. Sometimes peoples GC's come first...

You can get AP and EAD without AOS. However, as a k-1 visa or K-3 visa AOS has to be done forinitial EAD and AP.

THe AP is needed if you are green card (lpr) and leaving the country for 6 months or more and plan on returning. It is also good to havefor emergencies while waiting on your GC. This also gives you evidence on good standing when as ked for

please note if filing separate though AP and EAD are separate costs. with initial AOS, they are part of the packet, either include in the packet, or the I797C notice from AOS.

I hope the RFE works out for you. Just ask yes and no questions when calling.Be specific, they cannot answer general questions.

Um what? This is so so wrong. I suggest you study up a bit on all the parts here. Very wrong.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

back to the OP.

wow - it's been some time, aye? No multi-purpose EAD/AP card for you. hmmmm

suggest you call into USCIS call center, get a Tier 2 Human, an ISO,

and then ask them to go over with you --

any returned mail pieces?

If so, give them your correct address,

then

put up a name card in yer post box , taped to the inside. I'm betting the Postal Carrier doesn't know you live there, and sent it back to USCIS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I talked to an officer (1st tier) who said it is impossible to get the AP/EAD without the AOS, IS THIS TRUE, I have read many posts and heard of many cases where VJ'ers received their EAD/AP cards but no AOS.

I had my biometrics back in January, and have not received anything. February 17 they received the request for Evidence and it is being processed at the National Benefits Centre in Lee's Summit, MO.

Do I still call the only number that is on all the documents: 1-800-375-5283 for any updates as my online status updates is proving futile, or do I just wait until Mid May, as the officer indicated it is still withing the normal processing times. or do I be proactive and CALL again.

My EAD and AP were processed back in December but looks like these are on hold until AOS if processed and approved, so is this still within normal processing times?

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions and advice.

Impractical is a better term than impossible.

Here is your problem. The EAD and AP can be filed for FREE with an AOS, which is what you did and what most people do. However this makes BOTH derivitive of the AOS and if a problem is discovered with the AOS before they send the EAD or AP they are ALL put on hold. They can even put them on hod after they are sent, which really stinks if you are outside the country when it happens. IF you file the AP and EAD separately, for something like $340 each, then they are independent of the I-485. In some cases, such as ours, we actually got the green card before the EAD and AP. It happens. You pay your nickle and takes your chances.

You can always get an emergency AP if necessary but it will cost you. Make an infopass appointment if it is necessary and bring your Receipt for the I-485

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not necessarily. We filed ours all together and got the green card first. The AP and EAD came a week later and by then were no longer needed. Actually the AP came between the GC interview and the GC arrival, at any rate...Alla turned in the expired EAD and AP when she received her citisenship and they asked her why she did not turn it in at her GC interview. She said "I got the GC first" :blush:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

nvm.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

great advice thanks!!! and beautiful video, congratulations!!!!

event.png

Timeline

That's what I thought but the people you call at the 1800 "misinformation line" rely on exactly what you say so if you don't spell it out they're easily confused (and sometimes even when you DO spell it out :S).

You filed AOS, and EAD/AP so you should get EAD/AP soonish... hopefully. Sometimes peoples GC's come first...

Yes filed all three together, they cashed cheque ASAP, so hopefully something comes soon. Thank you for the positive post..All the best on your journey

Edited by NinoniAndBoosBoos

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.