AstaMarisa

Husband doesn't want to file papers

403 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The first thing that needs to happen to give her some reassurance is to find out exactly what is happening. As I said previously all we have is what the spouse has told her and posted on facebook. If he is the lying, manipulating person she describes then he would be the least reliable source of information. Until she actually sees the court papers, from the court not her spouse, she won't know what is happening, what has already happened, or how to proceed. Just because he posted on facebook he is divorced does not make it so, just as him telling his CO he was divorced did not make it so.

She's with people that are supportive and loving

Hope it's permanent, at least to the point where she can sort out most if her problems. 'Husband' seems off so she and whoever it is that's helping her need to mindful of his actions.

Edited by aaydrian

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This lady is in a situation most of us hope to never be in. both as the petitioner, and the benefactor. The Lady is reaching out for help in her situation and NO ONE is HELPING her. I have been following this thread and talked to her many times on PM. I have been to Ukraine and have many Russian friends. I feel for this Lady and her situation. She is being treated worse then by men back home, and by a man in the military services who defends out nation.

this man has treated her badly, horribly, and basically, has at times left her to fend for herself and her son without transportation, food, or money. I am wondering how many times the electric, water, and other services were turned off at the house for lack of paying bills.

the court date could easily be January 2013 because of backlog, and his military service. However, there are things which strike me as odd in all of this. I hope they work it out well. Somehow he has convinced the chaplain of "issues". The chaplain is his "safe haven" right now. It keep this mess off his military record. If the Provost marshall and his XO/CO get involved, his record IS affected. Right now, he has painted her as something horrible to the people on base. She needs to really, really fight back. those who know her MUST be willing to testify in court on her behalf. Get the hospital records, and hospital staff to testify how she was with her child. The friends MUST be willing to go to the Provost Marshall as well to offer sworn statements. She is fighting a battle which is very uphill. She is in a situation where the military does not always believe spouses. She needs to get them to believe her. This road is NOT going to be easy.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

The military has nothing to do with her AOS, if she has been abused she needs to file VAWA as has been stated she has already been assisted in doing. The other issue she needs to deal with is her alleged divorce which she needs to go to the local courthouse to find out if anything has been actually filed and what the status is. The military has nothing to do with either of these things.

The only thing the military will do, is if she is still married, they will require him to provide her with the housing allowance he receives or actual housing and she will have a dependent ID card, which she states she has.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I've been following this thread from the beginning and while I have no legal advice to offer, I sincerely hope the OP finds all the help she needs. What a difficult situation to be in. I'm glad to hear the OP and her son are doing fine and are in a supportive environment. (F)

F1 Discussion | F1 Poll | F1 Watch List

F1 ~ PD: 08SEP06 ~ Current! cool.png ~ AOS ~ Green Card!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

sorry to be so wordy....not a lawyer...but after having been through Ukraine and Russian dating, plus going through my own divorce...

The Military also has a lot to do with this. In her divorce, she gets part of his retirement fund and proceeds based on his perceived rank at retirement at the point in time. She is entitled to HALF of ALL his pension at the time. Anything above that rank is his alone. If he is dishonorably discharged, he loses all pension, but it can be written in, that she does not. If this is not in the divorce decree, she can lose much in the divorce.

Also, with the I-134, the husband is as bound as the I-864. All costs are subject to him. It may be a lot for her right now, but in the end, she could really take this guy to the cleaners in court. I feel sorry for him, if she just shows up in court without a lawyer...if I were him, I would get her a lawyer, and myself a lawyer...pay both bills, and try to work out an agreeable divorce...otherwise, he should expect the complete law thrown at him, inclluding filing AOS for her, Long term alimony, and losing all pension, and any savings, plus housing he may own, he may end up paying the mortgage for the house, but she owns the house. (CA divorce law is no laughing matter in a case where he has been posing as divorced, and carrying on with other women during his marriage. )

The divorce court could also be including an order by the court for a request of US military inquisition under USMC or a request for investigation by the US criminal court system. The military can ignore this request if the military so chooses, but I doubt the military would. The call on her for kidnapping will go against him in court. things could also go his way...but, I seriously doubt if he will get much because of marrying her in the 90 days, and her staying here for 2 years without him filing for divorce or filing AOS. He has been using the police, government, military base and court system against her because of her cultural background, she fears these things because of the corruption in Russia. This woman is having to do things which she is ultimately afraid of and raised to be scared of. Think of having to deal with your worst, deepest, darkest paranoia nightmare. Then having NO ONE to help you when you reach out in your area. Divorce is not unheard of in Russia. However, women do not do as well in Russia for divorce as in USA.

...she could even petition the court to have legal counsel reimbursed at her husband's expense since she cannot afford a lawyer nor can she legally work to earn money for her defense in the US at this time 1) based on the I-134 form, 2) her husband has refused to submit the AOS paperwork, 3) husband has refused to submit EAD paperwork, 4) and VAWA USCIS form, 5) husband has her taking care of their son and house as married couple since she came to USA.

She needs a really good military divorce lawyer as well as one versed in immigration law.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

She is not entitled to anything except what is awarded to her by a court. She is not "automatically" entitled to any of his retirement pay, it must be court ordered if the court determines she is deserving of it and since they have been married less than 10 years the military, specifically DFAS, will not automatically make the payments to her, she would have to obtain them from him through civil actions.

The I-134 is not legally binding and is not even a contract between him and her, it is between him and the US government. Legally he has no obligation to her other than as a normal spouse has to the other one, which is not much. I am even surprised she was permitted to live in military housing since she has no legal status in the US. If she wishes to obtain any benefits she will need to file VAWA and fight him in family court. She had and still has a military ID card and he was providing her housing until she moved out.

Morally he is dead wrong but legally I don't see where he has committed any crimes or violated any part of the UCMJ.

Again I advise her to go to the courthouse and review the file to find out what is really going on.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Murysa--So very glad to hear that much is proceeding forward for you. Can not even imagine how difficult things have been and are for you. Your strength and courage is admirable. Glad you are safe adn that you have found help from social worker and others. Yes, Murysa, prayers sent to God and sent your way for the 18th. Praying even now for right to win over wrong that day, and also in your continuing circumstances even thereafter. Know that on the 18th, now--and often--you and your son will be surrounded by many prayers. --RK and Inday

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved your post to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.