Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with so much of the above post. PATIENCE & understanding is so important. Patience for yourself as well as him. It's a big adjustment in so many ways. So many things are taken for granted when your SO is not new to this country. You will get frustrated and you will have misunderstandings, but be patient with yourself and him throughout it all...

Thank you...I am ready for the challenge, at least as ready as I can be....

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You're welcome! And good luck! I'm sure things will be fine since you've already proven you have lots of patience. :D

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and giving such great advice for what's to come. Thank you!

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You're welcome! And good luck! I'm sure things will be fine since you've already proven you have lots of patience. :D

:lol: My husband calls us "professional waiters" :wacko:

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is your husband saying that you are intellectually below the level you're supposed to be, that is, at *35 your intellectual maturity just matches that of your *29 yr old husband?

*- substitute for real ages

No, he's not saying I'm below the level I should be, and I am not :bonk:

We are both in our mid to late 30's, well educated and we are both more mature for our ages than normal and always have been since we were kids. He's more mature and serious than the average guy his age. Our maturity levels complement each other's perfectly.

Neither of us are generalizing or accusing girls in their 20's for being immature or anything negative, but women in their 30's and above tend to be more ready for marriage and a serious relationship.

In his experience, and that of his male family and friends, they are looking for more mature women closer to their ages and maturity level when they are ready for marriage. And it has nothing to do with immigration, my husband is the only one he knows who has married and come to the USA.

:star:

Edited by zahrasalem

01-04-09 - Married in Egyptian Embassy - Qatar - honeymoon in Egypt (Ahmed's home country)

05-04-09 - I-130 Sent

12-13-09 - INTERVIEW PASSED (Qatar)....Spent 12 weeks in AP

03-03-10 - VISA IN HAND :)

03-06-10 - AHMED COMES HOME :)

03-12-10 - SS# card received

03-19-10 - GC received

05-15-10 - First job

06-01-11 - Better job!

03-2012 - Started our business

Removal of Conditions/10 yr GC

02-15-12 - Sent I-175 ROC

07-17-12 - approved!....card production ordered!!!!

07-21-12 - 10 yr card arrived in mail :)

03-2013 - Apply for Naturalization

Filed: Other Country: Algeria
Timeline

I agree ^ I was 19 when I married my 25 yr old MENA spouse. I'm not from an Arab background but a similar country. I'm now 25 we are still very happy together, yet I had found myself still wanting to explore life and just recently started to think about serious life plans for our future. This could possibly be the same thing with a younger MENA man like in his early 20's. You have to really consider the age difference if he was THAT young. Other than those factors, I don't think age is anything more than a number. It's not a generalization that younger girls are "immature" they are just not at that maturity level of experience older women have. An older woman wouldn't pester her husband for ridiculous things most younger girls bother their husbands with. So for all the older wives that's something I'm pretty sure the husbands are grateful for lol.

There's also a lot of things that Western girls do that MENA girls don't even think about doing such as drinking, going out dancing, wearing certain types of clothing, and etc.. My husband came from a very strict background but when he came to the states he started to open up a lot more to Westernized customs. Just saying, this is something I kind of see which attracts MENA men to Westernized women of any age.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

As for the Inshallah thing, it really does grate my nerves as well. It's just a little odd. To me, it would be like my Egyptian husband deciding to use American slang to fit in.

I agree with ya Besty about the marriage of an older women to a young man BUT as for the use of Arabic, I don't have an issue with women or men who want to learn and use Arabic when they can. Actually, I like it when my man tries to use American slag too. It's pretty funny, in fact. His favorite being "that is suck!" or "oh sh*t" being a new favorite of his.

Edited by 100% Al Ahly Fan

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

I realize this is arbitrary and random, and not even remotely fair, but with certain people, in certain situations, it's annoying, and other times it isn't. It depends on the person and the context, and more often than not on VJ it just reads contrived and corny.

That being said, 5 years later my brother will still say "what are doing?" when greeting my husband-when Ahmed first moved here, that's how he said what's up :)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The way I see it, this couple has obstacles stacked on obstacles. First of all, a woman being married to a guy 20 years younger may work for now but the odds are it won't last. How old are you 40? 45? You may still be somewhat put together at this point and can still act young enough to keep your man interested. Fast forward 10 years and ask yourself will this still hold true? If you are 55 then, he will be 35 and those differences are HUGE. I don't think that goes for just a foreign relationship it's with ANY relationship. Also, it's common knowledge that you won't go to Egypt, or Jordan or Saudi Arabia and encounter many men married to women likely very close in age to their mom. That let's you know that it's not culturally the NORM. Believe me, I am as much a skeptic of men married to women 20 years their junior. And really, what could you have in common?? Either you are extremely immature or he is extremely old for his age. And then there's the kids (the ones you already have) and the fact that more than likely you won't be able to have kids together. Have you thought of that? Oh well, enough of that I am sure you have thought this all out. As for the Inshallah thing, it really does grate my nerves as well. It's just a little odd. To me, it would be like my Egyptian husband deciding to use American slang to fit in. For some reason many women feel obligated to ingratiate themselves into their spouses culture. Just being myself has worked for me so far! Best of luck with your immigration adventure!

I have been to Jordan several times and I am aware that is isn't the social norm for younger men to be married to older women, it isn't here either, although it is more accepted here. We know what we are facing as far as the judgments and assumptions people will have, there and in the US. He has an aunt who is married to man 15 years younger than herself. I am not looking for people to point out that we have an uphill battle, we are well aware of that. I was merely out of curiosity looking for people with a similar story. I think it's unfair for you to say either he is very mature(which he is) or that I am immature. We have a lot in common, some things not in common.It's like that for most marriages in the world, but if everyone married people exactly like themselves this world would be a boring place. . And we know about the cultural differences. We have discussed everything about our lives together in depth, and how things will be very different here. We are not naive. Love is love, we can't help what out hearts feel. Thanks for sharing :)

I realize this is arbitrary and random, and not even remotely fair, but with certain people, in certain situations, it's annoying, and other times it isn't. It depends on the person and the context, and more often than not on VJ it just reads contrived and corny.

That being said, 5 years later my brother will still say "what are doing?" when greeting my husband-when Ahmed first moved here, that's how he said what's up :)

Funny when my husband first got here he would also leave out the "ya" or "you" & would say "how doing?" instead of "how ya doing?".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have never discussed anything in depth with my husband. You guys are way too much smarty pants. :wow:

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Just curious if anyone who has married a younger MENA man has a happy ending? All of the topics seem to only be about tragic relationships. I know it's good to be cautious, but like in any society or culture there are scum bags. In fact in the US there seems to be an over abundance of men who abuse, mistreat and cheat in their wives. I love my husband, and he loves me. I can't wait until the day he sets foot on American soil. I have been to Jordan to see him 3 times in the last 6 months, 3 months living with he and his family. And you can bet you bottom dollar I will be at that embassy in Amman by his side the day he has his interview!!!

Hi I was reading your story and felt your pain...MENA..which countries fall in this category? is it all the middle eastern countries? sorry, never heard of this before until now...I wanted to share my story...My husband and I are 12 years apart, and I am older then him..we both have been married before, divorced now and no kids...I met him for the first time back in April of 2011, we married September of the same year, I went to visit my husband this past January, and we are now waiting for the NOA2..we have been in previous marriages where our ex-spouses cheated on us both..and why our marriages ended..but we are truely in love, we always tell each other that God has blessed us both and now we are praying to be together soon, and start our family...I am able to have kids and I'm 42 years of age, my husband is 31..keep the faith...and don't give up...I wish you and your husband the best...and as we wait, we hope we don't get a RFE, or our age difference will hold up our process...thanks, RBM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.