Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

There are a bunch of us with 5+ years still plugging along. I can think of around 30-40 couples over the years, maybe more. Most of us don't post on here as often anymore, but when you run in the same circles of people for years information gets around. I'd say a third are confirmed to have since seperated or divorced. I can't think of more than a handful of couples with success that have such a vast age difference though, but there are at least two that match that description that still post on here with some regularity.

Edited by ॐ

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm guessing noone is intentionally generalizing young MENA women as mindless, vapid, stupid baby makers. But talk of young MENA men needing foreign, older women so that they have someone to match their intellectual capacities seems to be doing just that. This seems as bad to me as generalizing MENA men as abusive control freaks.

:thumbs:

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

Timeline

I would just like to say that even though certain women come back to tell their stories about the decline of their marriage or the fraud that their spouse committed, this doesn't make them a bad person. I believe it makes them admirable. They had the balls to come back here and share the hell they went through, to expose themselves to ridicule or the proverbial ”I-told-you-so” attitudes that can be found here.

So many of them did exactly what you are doing...spent lots of time in their SO's country, knew the family well, and listened to his talk of love and life together. They had covered every red flag. And yet, their world came undone. It takes a lot of courage to come back here and say that you were taken for a ride, or that your marriage just didn't work out because of cultural differences. So, now, when you ask if it has worked out for anyone with your age bracket differential, you are showing your skepticism. And let me say, your skepticism is justified...twenty years is a lot...not impossible, but it will raise eyebrows all the way around.

Sometimes MENA isn't all rainbows, lollipops, and unicorns. Just sayin'.

It's not?!?! :blink: And here I am, this whole time, thinking life will be just perfect when my husband gets here, and we'll be singing Kumbaya every night, while living somewhere over the rainbow :angry: Hmm, maybe I should get my head outta my butt :P

*Please note the sarcasm

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Results DENIED

-POE--May 9, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Approved--July 2015

Timeline

I agree with this 100%.

Real life and extended vacations are vastly different. Getting along with someone for 6 months while on vacation (no work, no responsibilities, etc.) is much easier than living day to day life. Especially when the immigrant is limited in their independence, work history in the US, and general ability to adjust to new surroundings. Some people (like myself) think/thought...piece of cake. No, it's not a piece of cake. At all. Even if you psych yourself out for real life together, it's not even half of what you imagine. I think that has a lot to do with the break downs of some marriages. Not just because they are from MENA but because they are an immigrant, in general. You may have personalities that mesh well when on vacation or in a long distance relationship and then when you live together 24/7 you pick up on things that you didn't notice before. Anyways, what I'm saying is don't be too confident about how awesome things are on vacation. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything. I firmly believe that the guys that end up to be scumbags were always scumbags but it was ignored while the couple was courting. Lust, infatuation, excitement of a new relationship, etc. always makes one blind to reality.

I admire that you admit you thought things would be pretty easy when your man got here, but they weren't. I always hear, "getting them here is the easy part." As we didn't have the normal immigration run, this scares the bejesus out of me! We can only do the best with what we know. I have a short fuse. I actually have been talking to myself a lot lately on how I will need to be way, way more patient when my husband gets here. Everything will be new to him. I have compassion and understanding, but my husband doesn't even know how he will feel, he has never left his country before. He may say he will be fine now, but I am scared of all sorts of things. Like, what if he hates it here? What if I can't make him happy? All new fears have surfaced since he got the visa. We will be living as a married couple now, and not in a long distance relationship. It is all new territory. I just pray we can make it through what's to come.

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Results DENIED

-POE--May 9, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Approved--July 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It's so true even when Adam & I go on vacation. No worries, no work, no responsibilities so that time on vacation is great! But that one second vacation is over then he's driving me again! I don't think there's any magical formula for long lasting relationships with or without age gaps. I think it's about two people that love each other, communicate with each other, respect each other and work on the relationship. I know people with age gaps, religion differences, cultural differences or a combo of a couple or all of those things that had long lasting marriages. If someone's spouse & them want life to work then they will make it happen.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I would just like to say that even though certain women come back to tell their stories about the decline of their marriage or the fraud that their spouse committed, this doesn't make them a bad person. I believe it makes them admirable. They had the balls to come back here and share the hell they went through, to expose themselves to ridicule or the proverbial "I-told-you-so" attitudes that can be found here.

So many of them did exactly what you are doing...spent lots of time in their SO's country, knew the family well, and listened to his talk of love and life together. They had covered every red flag. And yet, their world came undone. It takes a lot of courage to come back here and say that you were taken for a ride, or that your marriage just didn't work out because of cultural differences. So, now, when you ask if it has worked out for anyone with your age bracket differential, you are showing your skepticism. And let me say, your skepticism is justified...twenty years is a lot...not impossible, but it will raise eyebrows all the way around.

Sometimes MENA isn't all rainbows, lollipops, and unicorns. Just sayin'.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am not skeptical in the least. I was merely wanting to hear success stories. If you read in my earlier posts I know it isn't going to be all lollipops and rainbows, no marriage ever is. You never know someone fully until you live with them, and this is true of any marriage.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

They're valid fears. Don't worry about making him happy, that's his job. :) Patience is key. So cliche, I know. Patience and understanding. Help him become independent asap. That will help things big time. Get him driving and navigating around the area asap. If he's willing, get him involved in social activities and networking. That will help in a job search. There will be rough times. If you have kids, that will be a little rough at first but if everyone works at it things will be smooth in no time. For us, the kids adjusting to my husband and vice versa was the easiest part. My husband loves kids and he's great with kids so that helped a lot. The biggest things for me was accepting someone new in my space. I was on my own and the "boss" for a few years before my husband arrived so it was super difficult for me to share my space and adjust to having to "check in" so to speak. Not saying my husband was controlling or anything but it's not like I could just go out with the girls or go shopping after work or whatever like before. I had more than just my kids to worry about. That was a big adjustment for me. On top of it, my husband wasn't able to work for several months and I wasn't used to having an adult just hanging out all the time not working. That was way difficult to deal with. Having someone in my face 24/7 was rough. LOL. I know some people may wonder, why did you get married then? I admit I was ill equipped for the whole immigration thing. I was married to a MENA guy before so I figured easy peasy, I can do this. I know all the "rules", blah, blah, blah. Yeah right! Never factored in the actual immigration/adjustment thing. Anyways, again..your fears are valid. Be patient, be understanding, have an open line of communication and understand that you will have misunderstandings due to language and culture. I've known my husband almost 8 years and we still have occasional misunderstandings due to these things.

I admire that you admit you thought things would be pretty easy when your man got here, but they weren't. I always hear, "getting them here is the easy part." As we didn't have the normal immigration run, this scares the bejesus out of me! We can only do the best with what we know. I have a short fuse. I actually have been talking to myself a lot lately on how I will need to be way, way more patient when my husband gets here. Everything will be new to him. I have compassion and understanding, but my husband doesn't even know how he will feel, he has never left his country before. He may say he will be fine now, but I am scared of all sorts of things. Like, what if he hates it here? What if I can't make him happy? All new fears have surfaced since he got the visa. We will be living as a married couple now, and not in a long distance relationship. It is all new territory. I just pray we can make it through what's to come.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

I agree with so much of the above post. PATIENCE & understanding is so important. Patience for yourself as well as him. It's a big adjustment in so many ways. So many things are taken for granted when your SO is not new to this country. You will get frustrated and you will have misunderstandings, but be patient with yourself and him throughout it all...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't know if you mean to do this but you always seem to paint marriage with a broad brush ie "this is true of any marriage" or any guy could be scum, etc. Marriage to a MENA man is MUCH different than marriage to an American. I'm sure you kinda know that already but it's much more evident when you're living day to day. Yes, any marriage isn't fun all the time or any guy could be an #### but cultural differences do play a huge role.

I am not skeptical in the least. I was merely wanting to hear success stories. If you read in my earlier posts I know it isn't going to be all lollipops and rainbows, no marriage ever is. You never know someone fully until you live with them, and this is true of any marriage.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Timeline

They're valid fears. Don't worry about making him happy, that's his job. :) Patience is key. So cliche, I know. Patience and understanding. Help him become independent asap. That will help things big time. Get him driving and navigating around the area asap. If he's willing, get him involved in social activities and networking. That will help in a job search. There will be rough times. If you have kids, that will be a little rough at first but if everyone works at it things will be smooth in no time. For us, the kids adjusting to my husband and vice versa was the easiest part. My husband loves kids and he's great with kids so that helped a lot. The biggest things for me was accepting someone new in my space. I was on my own and the "boss" for a few years before my husband arrived so it was super difficult for me to share my space and adjust to having to "check in" so to speak. Not saying my husband was controlling or anything but it's not like I could just go out with the girls or go shopping after work or whatever like before. I had more than just my kids to worry about. That was a big adjustment for me. On top of it, my husband wasn't able to work for several months and I wasn't used to having an adult just hanging out all the time not working. That was way difficult to deal with. Having someone in my face 24/7 was rough. LOL. I know some people may wonder, why did you get married then? I admit I was ill equipped for the whole immigration thing. I was married to a MENA guy before so I figured easy peasy, I can do this. I know all the "rules", blah, blah, blah. Yeah right! Never factored in the actual immigration/adjustment thing. Anyways, again..your fears are valid. Be patient, be understanding, have an open line of communication and understand that you will have misunderstandings due to language and culture. I've known my husband almost 8 years and we still have occasional misunderstandings due to these things.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and giving such great advice for what's to come. Thank you!

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Results DENIED

-POE--May 9, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Approved--July 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.